• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Siilijoki

Started by noahclem, December 07, 2010, 06:41:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kbieniu7

Yey, quite a lot of stuff there. Really, have to be a lot of work for you, especially if you mentioned that you work with textures and lotting... I would have no patience for that, respect!

Thanks a lot man! Definitely has taken some time and much more still to come, especially if I end up doing much of that runway and texture stuff.

-Noah
Thank you for visiting Kolbrów, and for being for last ten years!

art128

This is going to be such an impressive structure when you finish it. That's an interesting idea to use dmscopio's stuff, though i am indeed curious to know how you will manage the night lights.
Also don't put the ILS antennas too close to the runways. :)

Thanks man! Yeah, we'll see if I can get the dmscopio stuff to work. The arena looked really cool but I think only will work for end pieces. Don't like the view of the arena floor at night but isn't a huge problem. With the swimming hall I'm having trouble getting it to show up on the lot in PIMX and the swimming pool is pretty glaring at night. So we'll see how that all goes. How far away should the ILS antennas be?

-Noah
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

_Michael

Really lovely RHW work integrated amazingly with the airport and all its features. Looking forward to seeing how this develops.

Thanks a lot! Hope you enjoy how things go--me too :D

-Noah

noahclem

Thanks a lot for the support and likes guys  :thumbsup:  Much appreciated!

EDIT: Pics resized to 1024 width but CLICK for full resolution ;)

I have a few things stumping me that I hoped I might get some help with:
--Airport lots: why can I not save airport lots in LE or create them in PIM-X? Do I need to do something manually in reader for that or is there some other solution? Right now they are all parks.
--Streetlights: I've been lotting some of Maarten's lots to fit elevated highways and also 6S. After creating pretty much everything I wanted I ended up noticing that the light props moved but not the light itself. I couldn't find the light cones in LE or PIM-X LE. Any advice?
--Re-sizing: I've resized a number of items but am wondering how to do so with new IIDs or whatever so the old ones can also be used. How is that done?
--Offsetting: Same as previous. One example of what I want is to make a filler version of the underbridge lots that goes sideways instead to tackle a weird 3-tile RHW underpass.
--Japanese concourse lots: I've been trying the EN concourse lots but the nightlighting only works for some and seems to eventually go away for all. I tried putting them on new lots in case that would help but had not luck. Any way I can fix that?

I did some more work today and largely finished the road system at the airport terminal. The motorway links to an outer circle that accesses departures, arrivals, parking, and the rail station and planned convention center and hotels. The arrival and departure routes have an exit allowing traffic to circle around again or go somewhere besides the motorway. Inside the outer, counter-clockwise circle is a clockwise circle of major roads. There are connections to local traffic to the south, west, and east, where the private aviation terminal is planned and to the airside in multiple locations. The interchange manages to use all five levels. The new diagonal on-slope RHW pieces have been a huge help! And did you know it's possible to put them directly adjacent to other RHW? Basically I've managed to do it by creating them, running MHW under them, removing the MHW, and then placing the RHW. It requires some fiddling and patience but I've now got it to work quite reliably. Not sure if that's already been discovered but it's a huge help for making interchanges more compact. Even my T-intersection with basket weave and local access shown last time benefitted, allowing me to put more R5 and FA stuff in without making it enormous.

Here's the roads I mentioned earlier as well as the 5-level interchange:

A little park I made in the airport that still needs a couple lots made or altered. I'm planning another for the island concourse. I'm thinking of giving the effect of it being on the roof, allowing passengers to view the planes and activity around the airport. Also thinking of putting the LAX theme building up there, half-sized and HD. Using relots of the lovely walls I've largely got the plazas to extend up to the FLEX-fly but I need overhanging props to finish it and am not yet sure how to do so. I'm also planning to add some flora, benches, people, etc and lights. Relotting of the JENX  airport parking allows them to get that close and they are on the wall lots in several other areas. I also like the little access road at the bottom. Not functional but made with the new MGB under-bridge lots and some overhanging concourse lots I made of the FA pieces.

A night view of the terminal area:

I had fun with this modified trumpet. I figure I should do more loops and town down the RHW a bit to be european and for a smaller city than I usually make. Figured out you can place flex-fly overlapping one tile to the loop radius is reduced by one. The expressway is a lower-standard highway accessing the cargo terminal, military base, and local traffic. Since airports and big highways have the same negative effects on residents I like to more or less surround my airports with them.

Finally, here is an example of the runways and taxiways I've worked on. It's scaled to 25%, created in HD, though SD may be good enough for these kind of things anyway. Adding landing skid marks may be a bit of a challenge. The runway is pretty wide at 5 tiles including shoulders, though that's not an unusual size for an airport handling wide-body jets or military aircraft. Taxiways are the same with as existing ones but come to 3 tiles including the shoulders. I realized the existing ones are a bit on the wide side compared to RL ones but it seemed best just to go with the size of what's around now for better coexistence with them. I doubt I'll get around to making a comprehensive set so that's even more important.

Hope you enjoyed! Let me know your thoughts and help with the questions would definitely be appreciated :)

Gugu3

Looks like I have missed some of your updates Noah! Great to see you back in action...always some great content going on here &apls

Thanks a lot, Guglielmo! Always very nice to hear from you :)  Hope all's been well since last time hearing

-Noah

woodb3kmaster

Great work so far, Noah! You've clearly put a lot of effort into this project already, and I'm sure you'll get the rest of your issues sorted before long.

Your taxiway plans reminded me of a set of 30° exit taxiway lots I made last year for the EN wide runways (and which I showed off here). I was never able to add convincing skid marks, but if you'd like to try your hand at it, I can PM them to you.

Keep up the outstanding work, my friend!

Feel brand new. Be inspired.
NYHAVEN - VIEWS FROM WITHIN
Nuclear City - 5/8

noahclem

Wow, didn't realize that kind of thing had ever been done before--very nice  &apls  I'd love to have a look at the files if it's not a hassle. Nice that it's 30 degrees too, my plan has been FA2-based so I think it's around 25 degrees which is less common.

Reading your comment about the skid marks and then what you said about the 200 foot runways in the other thread got me thinking....and before I knew it it was almost 4am but I did manage a 200 footer with skid marks that I think looks pretty descent. The transitions from none to full and then to subdued for the center of the runway are shorter than they look so I think it could be made pretty modular without getting too crazy with the number of lots. Apologize for the heavy file but here's that:

(preview is SD, click to expand for the full size runway)

I just did a lot of noise and blurring for the skid marks, rounded off the ends and stretched them, and then applied several gradient layer masks and then added a partially transparent second layer of center markings on top. Still needs the very end and interfacing with taxiways--especially the darn high-speed ones  &hlp  But I think it might be a fairly satisfactory 200'/60m concrete runway and we can definitely do some tweaking to improve on this first draft. I had actually just been seriously considering just doing a new asphalt one to avoid the whole problem after seeing one in an airport markings standard resourse :D 

I also made a little mod to replace the basic ortho taxiway textures with mine and have mixed feelings on the results. I put black behind the yellow markings and even though I use the same yellow as the other textures it looks a little darker that way. The pavement looks bland compared to the standard but not compared to the JENX ones or, I think, most aerial photos of airports. Did take a little night shot of that:

Meanwhile, those tweaked and lotted swimming arenas seem like they'll work rather nicely for the island concourse:

Was getting a bit burnt out on the airport before this--guess anything beats school work  ::)

Gugu3

Really cool stuff!!! Love the reuse of the swimming arena

Alan_Waters

Great work!  &apls &apls &apls
It would be great if your airport were less modular than those that now exist. I do not understand anything in the structure of the airport, but I would like to have a large and functional airport in my region.

Akallan

Very well done! &apls
My CJ :

My european road textures project : S N T - v.2.1

Tarkus

Noah, welcome back to MDing action! :thumbsup:  It's great to see Siilijoki going again, especially with the airport skunkworks action going on here.  The runway texture you have here actually reminds me a lot of the unfinished RMIP-3 work, and the airport you've built is really stunning.  Even more stunning for this transportation junkie is the RHW system you've built around it--those interchanges are spectacular, and the feeder system you have going in there reminds me a bit of the San Francisco Airport (which I was just at this past week).  The swim arena repurposing is also very effective, too.

Quote from: noahclem on October 30, 2017, 07:20:05 PM
Was getting a bit burnt out on the airport before this--guess anything beats school work  ::)

This sounds very familiar. ::) :D

-Alex

Thanks a lot Alex, it's an extremely pleasant surprise hearing from you here :) I don't know much at all about RMIP3 but their work forms the backbone of my airports so I'll take that as a nice complement. I'm even more flattered by the RHW comment though--praise from Caesar ;) I've had a lot of fun planning and implementing the highways, exploring the new options, and trying to push the boundaries of what's possible, which turns out to be a hell of a lot now--couldn't possibly thank you enough for your work on that. I'm actually in the process of tearing up and rebuilding big chunks of the highway system now: I decided to extend the FA runway ~250m which is a massive problem for adapting both the highway and rail. The highway connection to the east now curves to diagonal to get south of the runway and I'm considering several options to connect it back to the "SFO" interchange area, possibly converting the southern portion of it to a 4-level interchange with an L3 MIS flyover* and adding an extra couple turns to the highway. A broader set of curves using RHW6-C is also under consideration and there's a small chance of doing a "tunnel" under the runway though I'm not sure having two of those is very realistic and finding portals and making lots to cover the highway adjacent to the runway and taxiway would be difficult.

I've really admired that interchange you refer to and I guess it's my favorite airport one, though I've never been there, and it's about exactly what I'm going for--so it's a happy comparison :) Anyway, thanks a lot for visiting and the nice comment!

-Noah

kbieniu7

I really like the modified trumpet! First time I see this layout in SimCity. I actually live just by one almost exactly the same Link to the map. I wanted to make such in game, but have never had a place with need for such layout ;)

You also did good job with compacting it! I discovered this possibility with flyover pieces too. I usually build in quite densely developed areas, so I also look for as compact junctions as possible. Last time I made my record in creating as smallest trumpet as possible, but it was in really densely packed-up area and had to use viaduct ramps instead of earthen ones (like you did and what I think is more aesthetic Link to the image).

And good luck with creating new textures for airports!  :thumbsup:

My apologies for being half a year late but many thanks for the lovely comment! I enjoyed the link to that analogue of my interchange and you were right--exact same thing basically, wonder if I should add a little bus stop spot too somehow ;) Do like the trumpet you mentioned, especially the clever use of that 5-tile, 1-level, 180 curve piece--really a nice creation that I would like to use more and see more use from others. I do like to get things to ground level as much as possible and have one suggestion if you're trying to combine that with compactness: try substituting the road viaduct on-slope flex height pieces for the RHW ones. They are fickle and can be frustrating but with luck and persistence you can get the transition one tile closer to the RHW you are crossing with it. Thanks for good wishes on the airport project, I'm really hoping to resurrect the project as so much of the hard work is already done. All the best to you :)

-Noah
Thank you for visiting Kolbrów, and for being for last ten years!

vinlabsc3k

As always is a pleasure to read your updates!! :thumbsup:
And I'm glad that you come back to write your MD! &hlp

Many thanks as always my friend :) Hope I can get the MD going again ;)

-Noah
My creation at CityBuilders.

SimCity 5 is here with the NAM Creations!!

metarvo

Amazing job on the airport, Noah!  :thumbsup:  You've put a lot of effort and time into making all of these lots, for sure!  FA runways are somewhat uncharted territory, but some of the buildings in the airport kit we've been using for years are in fact FA3 (though they were made before we started calling it that  ::) ).  Often, the runways at airports don't run at 90° angles.  The big airport in my area (D/FW) mostly has orthogonal runways but one of them is diagonal and another is rather near FA1.5 of RRW fame.  The 30°-off-mainline or so taxiways are quite realistic, too, and the lights are all intact.  You've truly left no stone unturned.

Keep up the good work!

&apls

Thanks so such a heart-warming comment :) Those old FA3 concourse pieces are definitely something I've been keen on combining with those FA runways and I hope my execution of it turns out well. Avoiding 90° intersections is a goal, as is pretending there's not a grid to be working with, to the extent it's possible to do that. I ended up in DFW for the first time last summer due to missed flight after a bit too much fun in Amsterdam with Willy :D Pretty cool layout, combining the series of parallel runways that are increasingly dominating large airport layouts with a couple more runways that don't fit that pattern. Speaking of AMS, it's bizarre combination of runways at so many angles and over such a large area is also something fun to use for ideas. I'd love to throw in one more runway at a unique angle that would perform a realistic function, maybe along the lines of AMS's small aircraft runway. Space concerns and the attempt at conforming to the fjord geography is making it difficult but I'd love to figure out a way to do it if possible. Or I might add an additional, parallel FA runway, somewhat along the same idea as the proposed expansion for Melbourne's airport. Guess we'll see what, if anything, happens but it's always a pleasure to get your views, ideas, feedback, and kind words :)

-Noah
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.

kelis

Nice to see you back Noah !! The airport looks very good so far... I must say that all the airports that you create are very well done  :thumbsup:

Thank you kindly my friend! Somehow once I started on airports, looked into all the details in RL and the game, and got serious about it, I've found trouble stopping building them :D Do hope I'll have a bit of something else to show soon though ;)

-Noah
.                                                                                                                      

|| Benelux Team || Windows on the World || My Photos on Flickr || Kelis BNL Projects ||

Swordmaster

Great work there buddy! Impressive highways and stunning airport! :squirrel:

Cheers
Willy

Unfortunate that it took half a year to get back to you on this but was most pleasantly surprised in the first place to see you enjoying this project! Always a pleasure Willy and all the best to you :) :squirrel:

-Noah

Badsim

Hi Noah ,  :)

Of course  I would have to lie shamelessly , trying to convince you that airports and  interchanges are my cup of tea ( a little more with SC4 than in real life that said ...  ::) ) but I'm able to measure the breadth and precision of your work and , even not finished , that airport already promises to be  simply the most realistic we've seen ...  &apls

... Most of all , after being worried by your longer and longer periods of inactivity  this last year , I'm really glad to see you're back with such extensive and long running project . :)

Regards my friend ,

Cédric.

Thanks so much, Cédric! Such compliments on precision and realism coming from someone of your talent and style is deeply special and appreciated. I hope to finally get back into things again very soon--and hope that, despite yet another long absence, you'll enjoy the next batch of activity in Siilijoki. Have been working hard on bringing a unique but realistic Nordic city center and geography to this project and will be very lucky if I'm able to get your feedback as it develops. Hope all's well my friend :)

-Noah

°   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °

APSMS

Wow. There's a lot of stuff going on here.

I applaud any effort to make a decent airport, but this is amazing. Even with Xannepan's additions to the AC Functional Airports pack I can't seem to finish a decently sized airport, so I can't imagine the amount of work that went in to making this so tidy (for what's there so far).

Heck, you even managed to pull Willy out of the shadows. Look forward to more, and glad you've found time to share this with us.

-Absalom

Many thanks for your kind and encouraging words, Absalom! If we're lucky enough perhaps we can get Willy to visit a bit more often  :squirrel:  If you're ever up to airport work I'd love to see it and am more than happy to share any ideas, tricks, or techniques that I've picked up while trying to make my way through the labyrinth that is the process of making the kind of SC4 airport one desires. Am always a PM away. All the best!

-Noah
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

My Mayor Diary San Diego: A Reinterpretation

noahclem

The following text is my reflection on SC4D and it's birthday, past, and future. I hope you will like it but please skip to the next picture if you don't ;)

I've been thinking about what to do with SC4D turning 11 years old this month as I would really like to make something nice in celebration of this little spot on the web that has given me so much. Makes me reflect a lot on the history of the site, and the community, and (could never avoid it) the NAM. 11 years ago it was about a year before I bought this game (the 1st of 4 times) and when I did I was annoyed after the first week or two that I had to start an account on a second site after ST to be able to download what I wanted. It took me some years to get really serious about the game or the community and I have to laugh a bit about the spotty internet connections way back then that could make seeing what's going on feel like a luxury--at the time I was drifting from waterskiing to bartending to studying and back and forth quite a bit. The time I started was literally the same day I got my 2nd computer, as I knew the 1st wouldn't handle it, and I got #4 half a year ago. After moving to Finland in 2010 I became more and more interested in the game and the site and eventually became a real regular when I launched my MD, Siilijoki (Hedgehog River).

Over the years, some of them more difficult than others, SC4D and the people that make it what it is became more important. Trying to meet SC4 friends from many cities in the world would be the first thing I'd think when going there and meeting friends in Amsterdam has become a yearly tradition. I went from following exclusive NAM development and going for a pretty green badge for 32 posts next to my name to owing Devotion everything in some ways :D Being a leader in the site for the last few years I've done my best, when I can and it doesn't severely undermine my RL projects, to keep it possible for others to enjoy what I have. It's definitely worth noting that the site and Jeroni aren't trying to squeeze anybody for money and leadership is just focused on keeping our community flourishing, now and years into the future! And I can assure anybody wondering that that is our goal on all levels of site leadership.

Building an airport can only be entertaining for so long, especially if one has new plans he hasn't tried before. I definitely have more interest in developing the airport tile, have progressed with it, and have a much nicer runway to build off of, but started this region based on plans for the central tile. That process is still in it's early stages but I think there's more than enough to warrant an update (this tile was literally empty at the last point I updated Siilijoki).

Anyway, here's the latest:

It's all HD but I guess industrial scale means it looks better from further out--plus there's a lot of details to fill in in the area. The waterfall looks awesome though and this is only half of it. Re-lotted Poseidon falls to be closer to the edge and have 2x-3x flow ;)

This is how the city actually looks in that area. CP's awesome new releases are incredibly helpful for such things with their slope tolerant custom foundations and variety of angles. Doesn't matter which side of the Atlantic if you have these beauties :D

This interchange was one of my major projects:

But I later compressed it a bit to fit in the way I wanted with the western, RHW6/8, needing to curve straight north in a limited space. The rails are meant to be major commuter and regional lines using flyovers and tunnels before the station to not have to cross each other at-grade. The southern line carries commuter, regional, and, with the second set of two tracks, high-speed international line.:

This one is the southwestern freeway leaving the central tile where the freeway has a major connection to the tram-in-avenue that runs a direct path all the way to the central station (which will also be heavily customized with an extra train shed or two)

I'm planning a roundabout as a central part of the inner city's roads. JENX bourse de commerce/arch de triomphe provide an awesome way to use a lot to do stuff that RUL limits would push things beyond my talent--even if I don't find the time and talent to make it all work I can at least get it to look perfect (there will be two tram stops in the middle of the roundabout) :D

Regarding that roundabout, I'm also considering the SW connection being TIR, with wider geometry to accommodate stations and decorations and came across this old texture (with old geometry) that made me more interested in the idea:

Here's the initial work on that roundabout's textures:

I hope you enjoyed my little bit of a show attempting to tribute SC4D

Akallan

It's crazy! It is very beautiful the pictures that you present, I love this little river, there are many good ideas around this one! I also see that you had a lot of fun with the transport networks, they are really nice to watch! Good job, can not wait to see more! :popcorn:

Thank you so much for the nice compliments! Am really hoping I can really get back into things and hopefully continue to offer you entertainment and pretty pics :D Thanks again buddy :)

-Noah
My CJ :

My european road textures project : S N T - v.2.1