• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

True Earth

Started by korver, May 04, 2016, 08:05:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan_Waters

Themistokles

Beautiful sights, as always, and wonderful bats.
Come join me on a hike to St Edmea!

Latest update: 7

"In the end, our society will be defined not only by what we create, but by what we refuse to destroy." - John Sawhill

Dantes

Your BAT is fantastic! &apls &apls &apls I like your new Update. I like all Updates!  :P

manga rivotra

Your buildings are actually of an excellent level and as always your pics are breathtaking.  ::)
In the "Bohemia" update, I especially like The Kamience canyon and the Pravcický kužel, the texture of the rock is so successful that the picture looks real.  &apls &apls &apls
In the update "Tour of Africa" I particularly like the pic presenting a village of Congo. Everything is perfectly reproduced: the food crops, the layout of the huts: I repeat myself but it is exceptional.  :thumbsup:
Did you make the Tsingy stone yourself too ? , as they are really successful!

korver

- UPDATE 28: Tour of Africa (Johannesburg) -

Our Tour of Africa begins with one of Africa's most iconic cities - Johannesburg. With nearly 4 million people in its metropolitan area - this is South Africa's largest city, and has one of the best skylines in all of Africa. With a unique combination of various architecture styles and plenty of famous landmarks to boot - there's plenty to do and see here. The famous Orlando Power Station was in use for nearly 50 years - but since the late 90s, its been transformed into a tourist center, with colorful murals painted on its walls and base jumping becoming a popular activity.

First National Bank Stadium - also known as Soccer City, is one of Johannesburg's most iconic landmarks. Its served as the home field for the South Africa national football team since its opening in 1989, and hosted the opening and final games of the 2010 FIFA World Cup. With a capacity of 94,736, it's also the largest stadium in Africa.

To make it into the city itself, one of the most traveled routes is over the Nelson Mandela Bridge - completed in 2003, its another one of the most famous landmarks in the city. Construction of the bridge was quite tricky, as it directly runs over 43 different rail lines - but construction was completed without disrupting any of them, and its been a popular tourist attraction ever since.

At night, this bridge turns into a spectacle - for the 2010 FIFA World Cup, the bridge's lighting system was upgraded extensively, and a new rainbow colored scheme was installed. If you can make it here at night - the striking color show will certainly be worth it.

We've made it into the CBD - and there's no better time to see the city than during a beautiful South African sunset.

Despite a little fog and rain - the landmarks here are still quite stunning, like the Carlton Centre. Completed in 1973, its been the tallest office building in Africa ever since.

At night is when the city really begins to come alive, however.

The streets of Johannesburg are typical of any other African metropolis - there's people and cars filling every last inch of pavement. It may be chaotic, but the life and energy of these streets makes visiting this city a special experience.

-korver

---

Replies

Alan_Waters: Thanks for the comment, glad you liked it :)

Themistokles: Thank you! Took a while to make everything but I'm pleased with the result :)

Dantes: Thanks for the kind words!

manga rivotra: Thank you for the comment! And thanks for the nice words regarding Bohemia too :) The Tsingy rocks are also made by me - it's actually just one small rock BAT that I mirrored and flipped around a bunch. I then used a bunch of MMPs around it to help hide any repetitiveness.

Dantes

I need to rend a poet! I need words! New words for this MD!  :o &apls &apls

bombardiere

A great update. Thank you for sharing this with us.

I can recognise many buildings used so now I can  better understand how you do your magic. :) Similarly when you before posted Bat previews of rock formations and etc. I can see how cleverly your create your own special models.

African house BATs could be useful. 

Alan_Waters

Sumptuously!  &apls &apls &apls
Maestro, do not you plan to portray Russian landscapes?

Simmer2

________________________________________________________________________________

manga rivotra

I did not imagine that a power plant could become such a work of art  :). And speaking of art, once again what you propose is admirable.
As always, the details are crucial as this work between ground texture and MMPs reproducing gravel, sand and different kinds of grasses more or less dried around the power plant: absolutely perfect and so hard to achieve !  &apls &apls &apls
Nights pics are really gorgeous and it is very impressive to see what you can do with commonly used bat.
Thank you for continuing to inspire us!  :thumbsup:

feyss

I missed a lot of updates... They were all fantastic  ;)

I also appreciate your last gif. It shows that you can also make a living city with the game's roads instead of eye-candy lots  :thumbsup:

Themistokles

Those dilapidating cooling towers :o

Cityscape is also nice as per usual :thumbsup: ;)
Come join me on a hike to St Edmea!

Latest update: 7

"In the end, our society will be defined not only by what we create, but by what we refuse to destroy." - John Sawhill

korver

- UPDATE 29: Tour of Africa (Southern Africa) -

The tour of Africa continues on as we visit the rolling hillsides of southern Zimbabwe. For as far as we can see, small villages dot the landscape - and the locals have lived in mud and thatched roof huts like these for thousands of years. Small plots of farmland are seen throughout the countryside - providing the locals just enough for them and their families.

As we move west, we venture through a very different kind of landscape: the swampy marshlands of the Okavango Delta. This massive inland delta is unlike any other place on earth - and the wildlife is equally incredible. You can find massive herds of elephants, wildebeest, lions, zebras, and countless other species - so we get on a boat and get as close as we can.

Further west is one of Africa's natural wonders - the harsh Namib Desert. You won't find too many settlements here, as the elements are far too inhospitable - but you still might find the occasional mining village, as this region is one of the world's largest diamond exporters. The former diamond mining town of Kolmanskop in southern Namibia had an unfortunate fate - once a rich little village, the entire area was abandoned once larger deposits were found closer to the shoreline. Nature soon took over, and many of the houses here are starting to fill up with sand. While today, the entire city remains a popular tourist attraction - its unknown how long it will last until its completely lost to the Namib.

We move back south into South Africa - and we're sure to visit one of the most beautiful destinations in the entire continent - the vineyards of Franschhoek. Centuries old farms complete with Dutch architecture makes this one of the most charming places we visit on our tour - and there's few ways better to spend a weekend than going out and tasting some of the local wines.

Further south is where you'll find the legislative capital of South Africa - Cape Town. With a population of nearly 4 million, this is one of the largest metropolitan areas in all of Africa - and much of the city is surrounded by townships (slums). The locals have to deal with poor housing conditions and poverty - not to mention the polluting factories that dump waste right into the surrounding rivers and streams.

The defining feature of Cape Town isn't an office building or any other man made structure - but instead the stunning Table Mountain that serves as one of the world's best backdrops. Its stunning any time of the day - but when the clouds and fog start to roll over the top and into the city, there's few places that are as magical.

Travel some 700 miles east along the Drakensberg Mountains and you'll uncover another one of South Africa's incredible natural wonders...

Tugela Falls majestically cascades some 2,972 feet down The Amphitheater, a stunning geological feature which contains some of the world's most impressive cliff faces. To get here will require days and days of hiking - but considering its widely regarded as having some of the world's greatest views from the top - its certainly worth it.

The world's second tallest waterfall certainly doesn't disappoint - and it serves as the perfect end to our tour of Southern Africa.

(No photoshop used - the cliffs are a custom mod of mine which can be found here. The .gif is 12MB - might take a bit to load)

-korver

---

Replies

Dantes: Thank you for the kind words!

bombardiere: Thanks for the comment :) Yeah, I was looking around for African house BATs and there was pretty much nothing out there unfortunately - so I just made my own. Hopefully I'll get them to a point where I can release the pack sometime down the road.

Alan_Waters: Thank you :thumbsup: I do hope to return to Russia for an update sometime later on, but I'm not too entirely sure when that will be. It would really be a shame to let SimHoTToDDy's great Pulkovo airport he released earlier this year go unused, wouldn't it? ;)

Simmer2: Thank you! :thumbsup:

manga rivotra: Thanks for the kind words! I always put a lot of work into those transitions, so I'm glad you noticed :thumbsup: The more I experiment with and try to make my MMPing seem more realistic - the more I realize that its the small details like those that can really make a scene come to life.

feyss: Thank you! I plan on incorporating more functional scenes like that into my updates in the future ;)

Themistokles: Thank you, glad you liked it :thumbsup:

bladeberkman

Wow. Love Table Mountains and the agricultural scene.  &apls

Tyberius06

Amazing pictures again! :) Very cooool :)

- Tyberius
You may find updates about my ongoing projects into my development thread here at SimCity 4 Devotion: Tyberius Lotting Experiments
or over there on Simtropolis into the Tyberius (Heretic Projects) Lotting and Modding Experiments.
I'm also member of the STEX Custodian and working on different restoration projects on behalf of non-anymore-active custom content creators.
Current projects: WMP Restoration and SimCity Polska Restoration.
Member of the NAM Team and RTMT Team.

kelis

Beautiful !! I like all the pictures, but once again I'm in love with your slums... you make an amazing job creating this zones  &apls &apls
.                                                                                                                      

|| Benelux Team || Windows on the World || My Photos on Flickr || Kelis BNL Projects ||

Simmer2

________________________________________________________________________________

Alan_Waters

Great! Just photos! I am impressed! ::)

Quote from: korver on August 22, 2017, 08:11:11 PM

It would really be a shame to let SimHoTToDDy's great Pulkovo airport he released earlier this year go unused, wouldn't it? ;)
Of course I agree! ;)

manga rivotra

Your little houses in Zimbabwe are splendid.  :o
The adobe of the walls really seems a product of the clay sand of the ground: it's amazing!
And this waterfall  ::) , the color and appearance of the cliffs is particularly successful. I suppose you created the texture?
Magic, one again !  &apls &apls &apls

korver

Thanks for the comments everyone :)

Manga Rivotra - Thanks for the kind words. The cliffs were indeed a custom cliff mod that I made - if you or anyone else is interested in it, I actually just uploaded it to my dropbox: https://www.dropbox.com/s/nd14w2nzrw8hxos/TugelaCliffs.dat?dl=0. I might have played around with the "TerrainTexTilingFactor" and/or the "MaxNormalYForCliff" values in my terrain controller though, so keep that in mind if you're looking for the best result.