• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Getting dependency lists out of PIM-X

Started by whatevermind, January 07, 2012, 09:41:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

whatevermind

Now that I can enjoy the wonders of PIM-X (thanks CasperVG  :thumbsup:), I promptly dug head long into a side project I've had sitting around just waiting for this moment, and just as rapidly crashed into a wall.  So, since what I uncovered, though mundane, isn't actually explained anywhere as far as I can tell, I thought this would be a good place for it.

Ok, so you have a lot (or 100 lots) that you want to find the dependencies for.  PIM-X can do this, as described in the User Guide.  However, there are two caveats to this.

• You have to load all the files that might include dependencies for the lot when you load PIM-X.  So if you have potential dependencies scattered all over your plugins, you'll need to make sure to select every folder they could be in during the initial configuration screen.  If you haven't selected the folder the plugin is in, PIM-X can't find it.
  • Once you have pulled up the dependencies screen, you will see the bottom half contains a list of files that are used as dependencies.  You can click on this list.  You can right click on this list.  You can double click on this list.  None of this will do you any good.  You need to instead hit Ctrl+C.  Open Notepad, and paste.  Endless joy, you now have a list of dependencies, in HTML format!  (It copies the entire list at once.)  You can save it as text or html for later use, print it, whatever you want.

The links it provides point to the (old?) dependencies page, where you still have to scroll around and find the file and so on, it's not a direct link to the file.  But, from the dependencies page its pretty easy to get to the file in question, and then even update the links in your list if you want.

jmyers2043

Quote from: whatevermind on January 07, 2012, 09:41:17 PM
Ok, so you have a lot (or 100 lots) that you want to find the dependencies for.  PIM-X can do this, as described in the User Guide.  However, there are two caveats to this.

The caveat is that the PIM-X is a lot makers tool and not a search tool per se. The author, after creating the building and making the lot, can use the XTool to see what props were used and where they are located. Typically, a lot maker brings into the plugins only what he thinks me needs when making a lot. But may not use stuff from all the prop packs. It's geared toward having the correct dependencies listed in a Read Me more than anything else.

But I also use it when scrutinizing candidacies for the LEX. I load all the dependencies that the proposed building/lot has in the read me then use the XTool to see if there is anything missing. It does not, as you observed, tell me where the missing prop is. But it's told me that the person who submitted a building/lot needs to re-check the read me.

Jim Myers  (5th member of SC4 Devotion)

whatevermind

I know that's how it's meant to be used...  But regardless of your reasons for using the dependency checker, the functionality I described above is useful and not terribly intuitive, or at least it wasn't for me, so I hope others can find it useful as well.

Lowkee33

I have to say, I'm not too sure about why that is useful.  PIMX will only list the dependencies that you have loaded, if they aren't there, it just says "missing dependencies".  What good is a list of things you already have?  I think this list is for people putting things on the LEX, as LEX descriptions are in HTML.  This function might make descriptions faster, though we do usually link to the download, rather than the dependency list.

whatevermind

Quote from: Lowkee33 on January 08, 2012, 05:35:38 PM
I'm not too sure about why that is useful

Someday you two just might find yourselves reverse engineering a lot, and as you start handwriting the list of dependencies you see on your screen, you'll remember this thread, and think, aha!, there is an easier way, I can copy and paste!   ::)