• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

How to do it???

Started by ldvger, March 02, 2011, 03:01:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ldvger

Make accurately scaled game maps/regions from USGS DEM data?  Or, if I download a .bil format greyscale SRTM image from the USGS site, how do I convert it to a file format I can use to make a game map from AND keep it accurately scaled? 

Also, I would love to be considered for membership in the NHP group as a new Mapper, if anyone can help me learn the skills necessary.  As much as I love building cities in my game, I am finding that I really have a much higher interest in exploring RL maps and finding interesting landforms to create game maps/regions from.  So far I have been dependent on others to create the maps of the areas I find, but given the frequency of my requests for a new map, it really maps sense for me to learn how to create my own and, once that skill is honed, join the ranks of those who make maps for others...give back to the community that has been so supportive of my game play thus far. 

Lora/LD

jmyers2043

Jim Myers  (5th member of SC4 Devotion)

toja

Hey Lora,

as far as I know there a two ways to make accurately scaled game maps/regions from USGS DEM data:

1. You could use the SCTF  RGB importer tool on the STEX from moganite. The basic usage is described here: http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=115.0. I think the free version of Globalmapper is able to reproject and rescale DEM-data, but does not have an export function, which means that you have to capture screenshots at 100% zoom and stitch them together in PS or GIMP...

2. Therefore I prefer the GeoDatial Abstraction Library - GDAL when it comes to map making. I wrote a detailed tutorial at the german simforum (english version via google translate) a few years ago. I think it's worth a read since I included a lot of additional information on projections and scaling etc..

Hope that helps!
toja

Vandy

Quote from: ldvger on March 02, 2011, 03:01:27 PM
... I am finding that I really have a much higher interest in exploring RL maps and finding interesting landforms to create game maps/regions from.  So far I have been dependent on others to create the maps of the areas I find, but given the frequency of my requests for a new map, it really maps sense for me to learn how to create my own ... 

Lora/LD

Hey, Lora.

It's been quite a long time since I've had the pleasure of chatting with you.  Map-making certainly is addicting.  I've been addicted to it for years and years.  Even though I'm not currently real active in the various SimCity 4 communities, I do still keep my hand in creating maps -- not only for SimCity 4 but other topologically-oriented world, continent, country, city, structure maps.  I've been a member of The Cartographer's Guild for quite some time now and have really been able to expand my mpa-making skills as well as learn from very knowledgeable people.

Take good care and I look forward to continuing to chat with you.

Regards,

Vandy   :)

In the end you will see, you is you and me is me.  © May 29, 1980

ldvger

Vandy-

Well, it's not so much map making, as in graphic representations of real or imagined landscapes, that grabs my interest (although I like doing that, make no mistake), but more taking real world data about real world locations and using that data to create scale accurate reproductions of those locations into regions that can be played in game.  So, maybe we need to re-think the semantics we use?  Perhaps "mapping" should become "region generating", to differentiate the process I am describing (and hoping to learn how to accomplish) from the process of using information gained from our game regions to create graphic representations of same?

real data-----> game region = region generation
game region-----> graphic map = mapping

Still, I'll check out the link you posted. I'd love to learn more about map making.  Thanks!

Lora/LD

Vandy

Quote from: ldvger on March 06, 2011, 02:19:59 PM
< snip! >
So, maybe we need to re-think the semantics we use? 
< snip! >
real data-----> game region = region generation
game region-----> graphic map = mapping

Still, I'll check out the link you posted. I'd love to learn more about map making.  Thanks!

Lora/LD

< chuckle >
I believe you might be on to something, here, Lora.  Semantics certainly is important to understand in just about every subject discussed and, I can see by your reply, relates to mapping as well.  Talomg DEM data and recreating real-world regions is certainly nothing to "slouch" about.  That takes real skill and I'm sure you'll master it.

I think you'll enjoy Cartographer's Guild regardless of the type map you create.

Regards,

Vandy

In the end you will see, you is you and me is me.  © May 29, 1980