• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

FLEX Turn Lanes (FTL) and Related Projects - Development and Support

Started by Tarkus, August 01, 2009, 09:36:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lowkee33

I'm a vote for u-turns, I acutally find them safer if there is a dedicated left turn lane.  It often happens that the people turning left get a green before the people going straight, making it that much safer.

In Massachusetts you can make a U-Turn anywhere it doesn't say "no U-Turns".  You also see people going in reverse down one-way roads just to save a block :)

j-dub

Too bad SC4 don't do protected turn sequences, like CityScape allowed, on green arrow only.

U Turn on Green arrow only, yeah I've seen that sign more and more. As for OWR, instead of Wrong Way or Do Not Enter, I finally saw a no straight sign, where the up arrow is crossed out under the red dash. I don't even remember seeing that in the US DOT handbook.

For the most part though, I don't think people bother to U turn, because they only see left only indicated on that sign, where as other signs have U-Turn only or Left, U-Turn only. However, I personally don't like these left turn lanes into unexpected nothing, where all you can do is U-Turn, not all vehicles can safely make that turn, I have seen too many stuff myself.

mike3775

What I do is in places where I may have an avenue curve and another street/road connect, I put a couple street crosses into the Avenue just before/after that curve to allow u-turns onto that street/road connection, otherwise the idiot sims will drive the long way around to get home or simply abandon homes and move away from that connection

metarvo

I find that U-turns are typically allowed on MAVE RD and TLA networks, but they are normally disallowed on AVE networks.  Now, it's obvious that no one will be U-turning across medians, so I'm referring to the intersections only when I say this.  This is particularly true for TLAs that get converted to AVEs for safety reasons.  Because of the ability for TULEPs to be used with RD and TLA networks, I'm in favor of U-turns being allowed at some point.
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.

Haljackey

I have a request.

Is there a way we can have the one-tile TuLEP for road that allows turning lanes on each side for avenue? That would save a tile which can be useful for heavily used, tight traffic corridors.

Tarkus

That one would definitely be a great addition. :thumbsup:  I'm planning on revisiting TuLEPs again in the not-too-distant future, once the RHW P57 efforts are further along.

-Alex

jondor

I was going to make an AVE/TLA-5 version of that piece when I made the RD/AVE-2/TLA-3 version, but I couldn't quite get the lines to look right at the time, then I got caught up in other projects.

Edit: This was my original result that never got fleshed out, based on a simple clone and flip

Definitely needs a little tweaking.
All new animated railroad crossing props for networks of all sizes! (Phase 1 complete)--> http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=13209

Mostly writing pony stories on FimFiction.net, but Cities: Skylines is my new best friend.  Anything and everything I made for SimCity 4 is fair game for use and distribution.

Wiimeiser

Actually, you could just push it a little inward to make the width of the divider lines more consistent
Pink horse, pink horse, she rides across the nation...

jondor

I remember having one that looked a little better than that, but it still had some awkward alignment issues and I can't seem to find it anywhere in my dev files.
All new animated railroad crossing props for networks of all sizes! (Phase 1 complete)--> http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=13209

Mostly writing pony stories on FimFiction.net, but Cities: Skylines is my new best friend.  Anything and everything I made for SimCity 4 is fair game for use and distribution.

Haljackey

Nevertheless, its good to see progress is being made on this piece. It will help our avenue layouts considerably!

Great work Jondor!

kody_organmaster

Quote from: Haljackey on June 11, 2012, 07:22:59 PM
Nevertheless, its good to see progress is being made on this piece. It will help our avenue layouts considerably!

Great work Jondor!

Agreed!! I have been wondering if a piece like that would ever come about! It would help a lot of my "stubby" avenue turn lanes out!  :D
--Kody

chosenreject

Quote from: Haljackey on June 11, 2012, 04:18:57 PM
I have a request.

Is there a way we can have the one-tile TuLEP for road that allows turning lanes on each side for avenue? That would save a tile which can be useful for heavily used, tight traffic corridors.

this would be a great addition. i would like to request something similar to that for the "onslope" tulep that i use for the flex spui. Also i would like to ask if there are plans for slip lanes for orthogonal x diagonal intersections

Tarkus

Once TuLEPs ramps back up to full production following the full integration of the RHW "Project 57" revamp, I am going to be looking at expansion into the diagonal realm, as it'll be going hand-in-hand with the NWM's diagonal intersection expansion.

Edit: A little taste of what the procedural techniques will make possible for TuLEPs . . .

-Alex

kassarc16

Quote from: Tarkus on August 07, 2012, 03:29:07 PM
Once TuLEPs ramps back up to full production following the full integration of the RHW "Project 57" revamp, I am going to be looking at expansion into the diagonal realm, as it'll be going hand-in-hand with the NWM's diagonal intersection expansion.

Edit: A little taste of what the procedural techniques will make possible for TuLEPs . . .

-Alex

Looking good there. I'm still hoping for those OWR intersections with working stop points and lights.

Haljackey

Inspired by this thread, I decided to make a video TuLEP demonstration:

http://www.youtube.com/v/8YlR2nSB-ZU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YlR2nSB-ZU&feature=youtu.be

Hope it will help those who don't quite know how to hook everything up.

Haljackey

Thanks for the Karma Point, Alex!  :thumbsup:

Did you know that setups such as this are functional?

Just be sure to plop the correct TuLEP intersection and everything will connect correctly. Be careful though, if you redrag any of the avenues the turning lanes will vanish and you will need to add TuLEPs to them as well or rebuild the intersection.

Fun fact: it also applies to double-left turn TuLEPs!

noahclem

Nice trick Hal  &apls  I had no idea you could do that. Congrats on the K-point too  :thumbsup:

mike3775

My main issue with Tuleps is they are a pain to plop because one little mistake and you have to bulldoze everything and start over, and its hard to see the little white line for the turning lane, but I do use them as often as possible

Congrats on the K Point

Haljackey

Quote from: mike3775 on September 10, 2012, 02:34:12 PM
My main issue with Tuleps is they are a pain to plop because one little mistake and you have to bulldoze everything and start over, and its hard to see the little white line for the turning lane

Just demolish the mistake and it should only revert the tiles next to it to their default network. Then just re-plop these TuLEPS and it should be fixed.

If it's hard to see there's two things you can do:
1. Turn on 'zones view' in the data views. It will revert all development to zones. Plopped buildings are bare ground.
2. Turn off shadows or at least put them to low.

One pet peeve I have with the TuLEPs is that the avenue left turn starting piece is the same as the double left turn starting piece. I would request for a future release that these be separated into two separate tabs as I often plop the wrong one by mistake, and as stated above, demolishing can be a painful process.

Aaron Graham

Great Work, I love the video, thank you for that information. :D
-Simcity4fan12/Sgt Pepper -Kryptowhite -Jumpthefence -beutelschlurf -Hanson784 -Gwail -Don Miguel -Seraf -Kelistmac -Glenni -Aaron Graham -Vlasky -PBGV103 -Darknono35 -Evillions -lucky7- Parisian- Jackreid -GuerrilaWarfare -Sim Fox -un1 -Heblem -AlexandrosB13 -Anotn -SimHoTToDDy