• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Removing stubs through RULing

Started by noahclem, October 29, 2012, 10:54:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

noahclem

Recently I've been constructing an RHW6-C in an area where I'm trying to take maximum advantage of the nice, wide-radius turning pieces for it. Unfortunately, the lack of filler pieces and the presence of stubs on the 45 degree pieces has forced me to have large straight stretches where I'd prefer more winding. I'm wondering how to remove the stubs so i can place two FA-to-45 degree pieces directly adjacent on the 45 degree end. Of course I can remove the stubs from one end through non-RUL methods but that doesn't help in this situation.

Also, are filler pieces eventually planned? That would be extremely helpful  :thumbsup:

And thanks again, SA, for these beautiful pieces!

MandelSoft

Filler pieces are planned, yes.

About removing the stubs: check the RUL0 file for that. you can remove the stubs by replacing the corresponding tiles in the CellLayout with "." instead of something else.
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

noahclem

Thank you Maarten!

How can I actually find that piece within the RUL0 file though?

Tarkus

On a related note, I should also add, I've just about finished with a redesign of how the starter pieces work, which will debut in the next Alpha Build (Build 05).  They're going to be based on the "construction tile" paradigm in NAM 31.  The intent behind this move is to alleviate some of the issues pertaining to "misuse" of starter pieces among novice RHW users, and to increase their flexibility.  You'll actually be able to use them in an almost filler-like capacity as a result.

More details on that soon . . .

-Alex

Indiana Joe

Hmmm...but does that mean we won't be able to place starter pieces in tight situations?  The construction tile would mean you need an extra tile to the side of the network.  Not a huge disadvantage, but it could get annoying.  What would really thrill me is if you can make the starter/filler pieces slope friendly.

Tarkus

Actually, it means you'll be able to place them in a lot tighter situations.

The current RHW starter pieces take up 3 tiles length-wise at present--they're actually two starters sandwiching a camouflaged puzzle piece tile.  While this setup was initially thought to be "convenient" back when it was developed (RHW 2.0 in January 2008), we've since found that it's actually very problematic, and probably the source of many folks' aggravations with the RHW system.

With the new setup, they'll only take up 2 tiles length-wise, and because of how the CheckTypes will be set up on the construction tile, it can be bulldozed with minimal disruption, allowing a stable, 1 tile-long stretch of the override network in most situations.  We're discussing converting other starters over to a similar setup going forward.

The existing setup, is especially problematic on slopes, because there's actually two false intersections flattening the terrain.  The new setup will mitigate this to a great extent.

-Alex

Edit: An image of what I'm describing:

Gugu3

Wow Alex!that's amazing!I've always wanted starter pieces to be more"flexible"...this is exactly what we needed! &apls
anyway great work in the RHW development and implementation :thumbsup:

Wiimeiser

So we'll actually be able to drag over them? I assume no plopping anything though.
Pink horse, pink horse, she rides across the nation...

jondor

The real difference between the current starters and the new starter is that the current ones have what is essentially a construction tile (but with the texture and pathing of the network in question) sandwiched between two false intersection starters.

The new one is an actual construction tile (with no paths, or at least no useful ones) and I believe the flags are set to 02020202 optional which means that it can be plopped on top of any orthogonal straight, T or + intersection RHW tile.  Said tile would have to be redrawn after you bulldoze the construction tile, but it's a good reminder to delete the puzzle piece portion that people generally tend to leave in place.

That said, you still cannot drag other networks across the false intersection starter (which is the same as the ones in the current starters, although in some cases you can drag RHW perpendicularly across them), but it means less bulldozing in general and less disruption of terrain as Alex said.
All new animated railroad crossing props for networks of all sizes! (Phase 1 complete)--> http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=13209

Mostly writing pony stories on FimFiction.net, but Cities: Skylines is my new best friend.  Anything and everything I made for SimCity 4 is fair game for use and distribution.