• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

RTMT Logo Contest

Started by z, October 05, 2008, 01:15:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

z

RTMT needs a logo!  Actually, we ideally need five of them.  Here's a short description of what we're looking for:

• A very small logo for the "RTMT Team" and "RTMT Associate" buttons
  • A small logo for avatar overlays and lot queries
  • A medium size logo for avatars
  • A medium size logo for NSIS installers
  • A large logo for presentations, opening pages, etc.

As the scale of these varies greatly, the logos themselves most likely will have to differ somewhat.  Ideally, we'd like to have one person do all of these.  But since some of these logos are going to differ somewhat anyway, this job could easily be divided for more than one person.  And don't worry about competing against dozens of other people - based on the response to the Call for RTMT Team Members, Associates, and Testers thread, this will probably be one of the easiest contests to win ever!  (Speaking of that thread, if you're interested in helping out the fledgling RTMT Team in any other way, please check out the first post.  Postings for other specific types of work will be made there soon.)

So that people can have an idea of who's interested in doing what, if you want to participate, please make a short post here stating which logos you'd be interested in designing.  Once they're done, post them right here.  If you volunteer for multiple logos, then if you like, you can first do just one and post it to see what the response is.  Or you can post as many as you want.  We know there are a lot of talented people out there - we'd love to see your work!

callagrafx

Quote from: z on October 05, 2008, 01:15:09 AM
RTMT needs a logo!  Actually, we ideally need five of them.
Actually you just need one that's able to translate across any usage  :thumbsup:
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it

z

Quote from: callagrafx on October 05, 2008, 01:27:08 AM
Actually you just need one that's able to translate across any usage  :thumbsup:

So are you volunteering?  ;D

callagrafx

Oh, if only I had the time....
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it

z

Quote from: callagrafx on October 05, 2008, 01:27:08 AM

Yes, this is certainly an advantage of having a logo like BSC's (which I happen to like).  If a similarly attractive logo for RTMT could be made, it would certainly simplify things.  When speaking of different logos, I was thinking more along the lines of less abstract logos that would show pictures of RTMT, or something related to RTMT.  Such pictures would be at least a bit different for different sizes to take into account such things as the differing amounts of detail available.  But at this point, we really don't have a preference for one type of logo over another - we just want something that looks good and reminds the view of RTMT in a reasonably obvious way.

cogeo

I would be happy to make these... if I only was an "artist"!  :P

Tough luck! Making a logo is too different to processing a texture, unfortunately.

I guess Steve doesn't mean make five different logos, instead make the "same" logo in different sizes. And they can't be just scaled versions of the same "base" logo, due to differences in resolutions (esp for the smallest ones). Vector graphics are certainly scalable, but up to a certain point imho.

callagrafx

Quote from: cogeo on October 05, 2008, 04:01:20 AM
Vector graphics are certainly scalable, but up to a certain point imho.
Actually, because vector is mathmatical in nature (each point has an x & y coord) there is no limit to the size.  I could create a logo that measures just 10mm x 10mm and I could print it on a 48 sheet billboard with absolutely no loss in quality  :P  The "limit" is the size of the printer, not what's being printed.  Just thought I'd clear that up  :thumbsup:

cogeo

callagrafx, I'm basically concerned about how well vectors can "shrink" (to very small sizes), not how big they can become.

callagrafx

Quote from: cogeo on October 05, 2008, 08:40:49 AM
callagrafx, I'm basically concerned about how well vectors can "shrink" (to very small sizes), not how big they can become.

tiny...but like anything, it becomes illegible....like very small type does

MandelSoft

I've made a logo for the RTMT Team plus one for the Standard Member Labels. I hope you like it.
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

z

I'm happy to report that we finally have a winner of the RTMT Logo Contest!  &hlp  And the winner is... thundercrack83 (Dustin)!   &apls  Coming out of nowhere, Dustin designed this fine logo, putting up with an unending stream of requests from an overly perfectionist RTMT project leader, who will remain nameless.  (Well, his name has got only one letter in it anyway...  ::))

Here is the logo in various different sizes.  Those wishing to use it should take it from this post.  If you need another size, let me know, and I'll put it in this post.

First, here is the full size logo.  It's useful for the title page of scholarly papers, such as "The History and Evolution of Road Top Mass Transit in Sim City 4 During the Middle Ages":

Here is the avatar-size logo:

Here is a logo sized to be part of a signature:

And finally (for now), here is a badge-size logo.  It's going into the custom badges that we are designing.

So, use and enjoy!  And thanks again, Dustin!  ;)