• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Why do some cities get corrupted?

Started by BigSlark, April 26, 2007, 12:20:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigSlark

Hello all,

My understanding is that sometimes cities get corrupted and then cause an exception, which crashes sc4.exe to the desktop. Is there any way around this? What might cause it?

I just lost two of my favorite oceanside cities to this problem this evening and its driving me mad!

Cheers,
Kevin

Andreas

In my experience, a city only gets corrupted if you delete a file (lot, mod etc.) from your plugins folder, but it still exists in your city. Usually, you only get a brown box or something like this, but functional buildings (i. e. schools or hospitals) might cause all kinds of errors. Terrain mod are also a bit "picky" if certain dependencies are missing.
Andreas

snorrelli

Back-up your saved cities! I probably overdo it but I keep the last three versions of all my saved cities and have often had to use one of the backups to overwrite a corrupt save file and restore all my hard work.

In my experience, "corrupt" doesn't just mean crash to desktop. I sometimes get cases where all the roads have disappeared when I reopen the city or where all the props are missing from lots in a certain section of the city...
Have you ever had the Prop Pox? Join us to help find a vaccine or a cure.

Totuna e dac-ai murit flăcău ori moş îngârbovit;
Dar nu-i totuna leu să mori ori câine-nlănţuit.