• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

SimPeg website isn't anymore

Started by carlfatal, July 03, 2015, 04:27:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

carlfatal

This is really sad. The PLEX maybe can reactivated, cause the files exist. But the most tragic in my view is the community, who lost a place, and needs to deal with the loss of MDs, tutorials, or similar things.  ()sad()

vortext

This is just unbelievable really, SimPeg gone in the blink of an eye.  ()sad()

I spend quite a bit of time on Simpeg, especially during Historic Harbor development. Can't believe the pages and pages of PMs between Krashspeed, Simcoug and myself are gone. I actually re-read some of it not too long ago, as we often had forays into technical aspects it had become a personal reference book of sorts.

Not to mention the loss of all the wonderfully unique CJs and Simposiom articles. I hope the Simpeg community will find a new home, either here or at ST and will continue to enjoy the game.
time flies like a bird
fruit flies like a banana

mgb204

Totally gutted about this myself too.

With all the current problems I took a copy of a couple of my tutorials as a precaution, but I never thought it would really be necessary. Hopefully at least the content will find some way to live on, that would be a tragedy if it was lost forever. RIP Simpeg.

catty

Good news the PLEX is going to be recreated and will be available on the STEX it just has to be organised

http://community.simtropolis.com/forums/topic/68469-simpeg-productions-farewell/#comment-1580523

:)
I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?" DEATH thought about it. "CATS," he said eventually, "CATS ARE NICE.

carlfatal

Yes, the PLEX will return in some way. But the loss is for the community, - I mean, all the MDs, all the forums, even all PMs gone, simply gone. One guy wrote on ST, that he tried to open the site to update his blog, - pure horror...  ()sad()

I hope, that there is a way to recover at least some of the content. And I wish the community the best luck to find a new home and start again.

catty

Quote from: carlfatal on July 05, 2015, 05:07:09 PM
Yes, the PLEX will return in some way. But the loss is for the community, - I mean, all the MDs, all the forums, even all PMs gone, simply gone. One guy wrote on ST, that he tried to open the site to update his blog, - pure horror...  ()sad()

I hope, that there is a way to recover at least some of the content. And I wish the community the best luck to find a new home and start again.

As I said over at Simtropolis I'm amazed that there were no backup's of the site, even old ones would have been something ... I've always been happy to donate every year for the hosting fees and would have come up with a bit more cash for site backups to take place if it had ever come up as something that needed doing and wasn't happening ... :crytissue:

As for a new home I think most people are also members of other sites like here, but given I do run my own website if any fellow SimPeg members want their own space I'm happy to oblige ... just let me know   :thumbsup:
I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?" DEATH thought about it. "CATS," he said eventually, "CATS ARE NICE.

Kitsune

Quote from: Tarkus on July 04, 2015, 10:08:13 PM
Confirmed, unfortunately. :(  It sounds like the data got irreparably corrupted, which is an absolute tragedy, and every site runner's worst fear.  As the guy effectively in charge of SC4D now, with Jeroni retired from active duty, this hits especially close to home.  My heart absolutely breaks for the PegProd team.

-Alex

It's more of someone else on his shared server was compromised, and once one site gets flushed they can flush everything quite quickly - it happened to my .com on hostgator last year. The site was also likely well over the maximum size for backups.
~ NAM Team Member

Wiimeiser

Alas, a greater percentile of Megaupload's data is left over than SimPeg's, making backups physically impossible.
Pink horse, pink horse, she rides across the nation...

Tarkus

Quote from: Kitsune on July 05, 2015, 06:16:21 PM
It's more of someone else on his shared server was compromised, and once one site gets flushed they can flush everything quite quickly - it happened to my .com on hostgator last year. The site was also likely well over the maximum size for backups.

Thanks for the insight, Kitsune.  They had been having some crazy database errors before the site completely went up in smoke--the front page was coming up with a HostGator 403 page for the past month, and required back links to access.  There was quite a bit of odd things happening. 

SC4D also happens to be on HostGator, but we've been running on a dedicated server for most of the site's existence (though jeronij has one other (much smaller) site he runs on the server), which (fortunately) means we are insulated from an unrelated site imploding and taking us out.  It all still hits pretty close to home, however, and we're working to ensure we are absolutely prepared in case fate decides to be similarly cruel to us, and looking to make sure we have multiple backups of the forum and LEX content at the ready.

-Alex

FrankU

Sad, sad news!
I hope the Simpeg friends will find a new home.
The good news is that the files of the PLEX have been saved.

solsystem

Very sad news. Many thanks to the Simpeg staff for the great work. I will miss it.

Shark7

Bad news.  I am glad to see they might be able to save most of the files from PLEX, but SimPeg was more than just a download database.

Granted I wasn't very active at SimPeg, but I did stop by regularly to see what was new, and if anything interesting was uploaded.

And the lesson from this really is:  Nothing lasts forever, especially if its digital.  :(

NCGAIO

Quote from: vortext on July 05, 2015, 03:27:49 AM

..... Not to mention the loss of all the wonderfully unique CJs and Simposiom articles. ...

Well ... in relation to the symposium fortunately I had copies and already sent to them now about  CJs really was a great loss.

Simcoug

This was shocking news to come back to... Unfortunately, I'm sure we will be feeling this loss for a long time to come.  Not only is the loss of SC4 knowledge staggering,  but the 'home' that many SC4 fans came to rely on is no more.  A very sad day.  ()sad()

catty

Quote from: Simcoug on July 07, 2015, 09:05:14 AM
...but the 'home' that many SC4 fans came to rely on is no more.  A very sad day.  ()sad()

I've just activated Krio's account over at CB as he wants to set up his bat support thread, I've suggested he puts it over here

http://city-builders.info/cb-groups

:)

travismking

It is sad to see this happen, not only for the people running it, but it is a major blow to the community to lose this repository. I sincerely hope that the PegProd team still have the original files and they can maybe upload them elsewhere (hopefully to the LEX)

catty

Quote from: travismking on July 08, 2015, 09:27:42 AM
...I sincerely hope that the PegProd team still have the original files and they can maybe upload them elsewhere (hopefully to the LEX)

Not unfortunately to the LEX, but they are being uploaded to here

http://community.simtropolis.com/files/category/32-plex/

:thumbsup:

travismking

at least its somewhere, thanks to all those involved to get the stuff up for the community :)

FrankU

Indeed... Having lost the SimPeg stuff forever would have been very sad, although I do have most of them on my HD (and on a backup HD).
A dedicated section on the STEX is a good idea. Somehow I remember that there was some disagreement between Pegasus and SC4D, so I think a section on the LEX is not obvious.

catty