• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Schulmania: National Capital Region

Started by Schulmanator, September 19, 2012, 03:19:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swordmaster

That's only slightly larger than my home!

Cheers
Willy

Schulmanator

RickD      Thanks! I am glad you like it. 6 years is indeed a long time. I am glad you feel it is a suitable place for such a regal feline.

Swordmaster     Wow! In which case, I guess I need to get myself invited to your house!

See the all-new National Capital Region!:http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=15118.0

Schulmanator

Coming up next, a series of updates from this area:

See it the way famed engraver Albrecht Meöwer sees it!

See the all-new National Capital Region!:http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=15118.0

nas-t

oh no i missed some updates, but I'm glad to see everything developed well!  &apls

art128

Hmmm seems like the upcoming update will be good!
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

Schulmanator

East Tenne: Theater District

In the ninth arrondissement, located north of the Wirdle River in the heart of the city, a magnificent gift from the Supreme Wirdle to the people of the capital serves as the focal point and as a dazzling example of the grandiose Capital Style architecture which dominates the expansive new capital. The National Theater presides over the district and is the home of the National Symphony, National Orchestra, and the National Ballet. Of course, many more fine arts are located here as well. We will explore this district over several chapters; but today, we will focus on the theater itself. Designed by Charles Garnier-Nutrisse in the opulent Capital Style, this magnificent structure is the largest dedicated arts facility in the nation.

Sitting in its context, the grand theater provides a stunning focal point for the district

The theater is topped with a large dome at the top and two at the sides. Gilded statues abound.

The gilded statues were paid for by the Supreme Wirdle and designed by Henri Poisson-Frite

The back of the theater abuts a bustling arts district, with many fine galleries and workshops

Some of these galleries and performance venues are along Rue Andrew Lloyd Webber, which runs alongside the theater. Anyone know why the road has such a name?

Rue Andrew Lloyd Webber has a most unusual shape for a road in Schulmania – or anywhere, for that matter!

There is a lot more to the district than the theater. We will explore more of it in additional chapters.

Are you ready to go inside?

The interior is just as sumptuous as the exterior

Ready to take your seat?

After the performance, we can stroll over to the park and enjoy the outdoors. Perhaps we will notice that the district makes use of every single released Parisian diagonal BAT.

There are two performances under the massive green dome today: a matinee performance of the National Ballet and an evening orchestral performance.

Which will you select?

Schulmanator

Nas-t      Thanks! Glad to have you back!

art128        Thanks! Hope you liked it.

Wow, the first Schulmania update ever to not get any comments at all... I hope everyone likes the next one better.

art128

Eh, Sorry I totally missed the update. :-[

It was a quite nice update. You did a nice job with the area around the Opera.

Would be great if you can activate the shadows just when you take pictures. ;)

Props & Texture Catalog

wallasey

Great work with the area around the theatre! There's plenty of space for crowds to fill out into once the performance has finished!

Swordmaster

Hehe, that doesn't mean anything 'Nator. People are busy here, or just overlooked it.

I, for one, did. But I like it. One thing, though, those sidewalks are a bit empty. Need more people (cats? maybe some runaway monkeys?) on it.

Cheers
Willy

nas-t

Ooh I missed the last update too - sorry for that. I like the theater complex!

noahclem

Great job with the palace area and theatre district  &apls  That's very clever how you use walls as diagonal walkways which allows there to be diagonal fences on the sides. Keep it up  :thumbsup:

Schulmanator

East Tenne: What's Playing?

In the ninth arrondissement, located north of the Wirdle River in the heart of the city, a magnificent gift from the Supreme Wirdle to the people of the capital serves as the focal point and as a dazzling example of the grandiose Capital Style architecture which dominates the expansive new capital. The National Theater presides over the district and is the home of the National Symphony, National Orchestra, and the National Ballet. Of course, many more fine arts are located here as well. Designed by Charles Garnier-Nutrisse in the opulent Capital Style, this magnificent structure is the largest dedicated arts facility in the nation.

The façade of the National Theater is adorned with golden statues, commissioned by the Supreme Wirdle and carved by renowned sculptor Augustus Saint Clawdens

Truly an impressive façade

Augustus Saint Clawdens and his contemporary, Daniel Chester Furr, are the two most acclaimed sculptors in Schulmania. You will see many of their works in the new capital.

Augustus Saint Clawdens carved this grouping in marble and had elements gilded to coordinate with the solid gold statuary atop the theater

It's a bit harder to see this statue when we see it in game; the massive theater dwarfs the impressive statuary

We see nearby the bustling neighborhood of the ninth district, spilling out along Rue Andrew Lloyd Webber and continuing toward Calico Corners Boulevard

An interesting venue is the more intimate Oak Ridge Playhouse, located in this domed corner building at the intersection of Rue Andrew Lloyd Webber and the district's park. From the roof of the theater you get a fine view.

Opposite the Playhouse, at the other end of the octagonal Rue Andrew Lloyd Webber, sits its mirror image twin: the Grove Theater & Arts Center, where the children's theater, children's choir and the children's dance ensembles perform. And, as you can imagine, 'children' means kittens and the young of other citizens.

To recap: Playhouse on the left and Grove on the right. And that's of course the theater in the middle (in case you forgot).

As we venture through the Theater District, we find a large number of diagonal streets. This is due in part to the district's being centered around the octagonal Rue Andrew Lloyd Webber. Luckily we have every Parisian diagonal BAT ever released on the STEX and LEX at our disposal to handle such a scenario.

Of course plenty of regular intersections as well. Here we see some fine and eclectic shopping destinations.

Despite this being the nation's largest city, every effort was made to make it as leafy as possible. Feline citizens love having trees to climb and use as scratching posts as well their effective use in attracting pigeons for dinner.

The Theater District also hosts a large central park for its citizens and its many arts-minded guests. Lively Morris Park was named after one of the feline world's most successful actors – Morris, the spokescat for Nine Lives cat food. Occupying a prime spot in front of the National Theater, Morris Park is in the perfect (or, purr-fect) location to honor such a standout feline performer.

The grounds of Morris Park are fairly extensive and include walking paths, lawns, fountains, artwork, gathering spots and more.

The fishing pond on the edge of the park is a particular favorite of the felines

A nice and perhaps unusual touch is the wildflower meadow, a natural area surrounding a small pond. It is not sown with grass or mowed. And it is a great place to catch yourself a chipmunk for a snack.

The rectangular park stands in contrast to the varyingly diagonal streets heading off in every direction. That's quite a few diagonal buildings in that block... and virtually all different.

Say, let's go climb a tall tree and not come down. Maybe the fire department will come rescue us!

feyss

Nice update and also a nice background  :thumbsup:

sunv123

QuoteSay, let's go climb a tall tree and not come down. Maybe the fire department will come rescue us!

Great idea! ::)

Great update too.:)
Provo, a city apart Updated July 4.

Schulmanator

art128      Good idea. I had shadows off forever because my computer had issues with eternal slowness. But I have a new one which works better so I shall bring the shadows back.

wallasey   Thanks! Glad you like it. And welcome to the NCR.

Swordmaster      Glad to have you back. Schulmania doesn't have cars, so when I turn those off it turns off the sidewalk traffic too. I do try to get some livelier street scenes where I can. But doing it vehicle free is a bit of a pain. I did have greater success with streetscape vitality in some future updates though.

nas-t   Thanks. Glad to have you back and I am glad you liked the latest installment.

noahclem   Thanks! I do try to add some touches where I can. I am not so handy with lot editing so I try to make up for it in other areas.

Feyss      Thanks for coming back. I am glad you liked this one.

sunv123   Awesome! Let's go climb then!

While you are waiting for the next update, if you are curious about what's going on outside of the National Capital Region, check this news out: http://www.schulmania.info/military_files/briefing09.htm

art128

Quote from: Schulmanator on November 12, 2012, 05:57:35 AM

art128      Good idea. I had shadows off forever because my computer had issues with eternal slowness. But I have a new one which works better so I shall bring the shadows back.

Yeah, same here. I can't develop a city when my shadows are on, that's why I have them off all the time. I only activate them when I'm going to take pictures.

Nice work on the recent update. Though the street are a bit.... empty. :p

Props & Texture Catalog

Swordmaster

Nice park! I also like these courtyard gardens.

Cheers
Willy

rambuckel

Hi there, some of you might know me. I'm Mozart, the cat of rambuckel who introduced me in her OSITM - Interview. I think Alba has far too much focus on horses and it was high time to have a story around a cat living in a worthy surrounding! Schulmanator, you understood one of the basic things ... CATS RULE THE WORLD! We do not have mums and dads and owners we just have servants!  :thumbsup:
Angels can fly because they don't take themselves too serious!

Schulmanator

art128      That is true. But Schulmania by and large does not allow cars. So when you turn off the cars you lose the sidewalk traffic as well. But I do have some closer in shots here and there with the traffic turned on but the cars cleverly hidden.

Swordmaster      Thanks! Glad you like this little green spot in the neighborhood.

Rambuckel   Mozart, it is a pleasure to make your acquaintance! As a distinguished feline of international expertise, perhaps you would like to be an executive in the Bureau of Feline Affairs?

A big new Schulmania update is about to sneak up on you...

be looking for it!