• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

CAM 2.1.0 Uploaded and ready

Started by InvisiChem, January 28, 2016, 02:06:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

InvisiChem

This will be your education levels. Agriculture is going to keep a very high demand. Everybody wants agriculture except your highly educated R$$$ sims. Everybody else provides some demand for Agriculture. The other Industrial types, really depends upon education. Low and most manufacturing industries require a mostly uneducated, poor group of people. Same with the manufacturing except they are driven by educated poor sims.

This is telling me you have large pockets of highly educated sims, possibly in rich areas. Try to decrease the desirability of some of these pockets by removing parks/plaza's, etc to get more of a low income or medium income group moving in. Your demand for Dirty and Manufacturing will then begin to build.
Everyone has something to offer, most do not possess the courage to offer it.

steveh71

Hi,

I'm also having problems setting up CAM 2.1. I have a freshly installed GOG SimCity 4 Deluxe Version set up for Windows 10, with no mods in place yet. CAM 2.1 didn't work the first time I tried, so I followed the previous advice, ignored the error message, and set up CAM 2.1. I didn't get the option to deselect the Traffic Simulator, but maybe you only get the option in the CAM 1.0 download. However, I can't get SC4DatPacker 2008 to work. I received the following error message when I tried:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "datPacker.py", line 1, in ?
  File "datPackerApp.pyo", line 25, in ?
  File "win32ui.pyo", line 12, in ?
  File "win32ui.pyo", line 10, in __load
ImportError: DLL load failed: The specified module could not be found.

I followed the previous advice from another poster to fix the problem, but unfortunately I downloaded the latest version of .NET.Framework 1.1., which might explain why SC4DatPacker still wouldn't install. Can I just try downloading an older version and installing it over the top of the other version, or do I need to delete the newer version first?

I also checked my Documents folder and I don't have 'Original Maxis Files'. My folder is called 'Original SimCity Files'. Both it and the Plugins folder have SimCity_1 in place, with 'z.CAM_2.1.0_Stand Permanent Merge' in the Plugins folder. I'm sorry if I'm providing too much information, but perhaps the extra information might help you provide advice on what I should do next.

Regards,

Steve

Mero90

This is related to some old Visual C++ libraries ()testing(), download the Mac version and follow these instructions

http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=17341.0

Yes I know it's for Mac users, but can be applied also to windows with some changes.  ;)

steveh71

I appreciate the help, Mero90. The Mac version of DatPacker worked, so I copied the new SimCity_1 file back to 'Original SimCity Files', crossed my fingers, and ran CAM again. It seemed to work, although half-way through the installation it shifted to 'Uninstalling' for some reason. I quit out of that and CAM kept installing. I then received a message saying CAM had been successfully installed, so I'm hoping that all went well. The directory now contains manuals and an 'Uninstalling' file, which makes me think that I'm good to go.

Cheers,

Steve

InvisiChem

The uninstall was happening part way through because of a previous install. It would have been okay to continue the uninstall. But it completed the installation as well. That is perfect. Please check the a__CAM/a__Core folder and be sure it has only one type of PlayStyle in it and only one controller file.

I am back from training everyone and have got the patch file up on ModDB for the moment. I'm going to update the CAM Installer and put out a quick fix for the installer including this new patch file as well. Both will be here on the LEX, I'll bother Tarkus or Casper as soon as I finish the new CAM installer, probably tomorrow. Mero, I'll probably bother you to start a thread on how to update the installer in the NAM/CAM bundle as well.

A native OSX installer is in progress for the CAM as well. A little more difficult since I am not a native Mac user, but not too bad overall. Big learning curve though.

Mero, Tarkus, APSMS, and all others in this thread, I owe all of you a huge thank you for providing the level of support I was unable to while at training. You have shown me why I am honored to be a part of this group (I'll call it a team).

steveh71

I checked the folder and there's only one PlayStyle and one controller in it, so all I have to do now is run the gauntlet and download the Starter Packs. I can't thank you enough for putting this program together and for the level of support at the site.

However, could I bother you for, hopefully, the last time. I wrote down the instructions for the old version of CAM and they said to select 'No Traffic Simulator'. I didn't get the option with this version. I'm just about to set up NAM 34, so will the pathfinding be based on NAM?

Cheers,

Steve

InvisiChem

Yes. The pathfinder with the old CAM was developed before the NAM. It is completely defunct. This has been built to have the NAM handle all the pathfinding instead. They are much better at that system than I could wish to be right now.

Instead of the starter packs, which are good, try reading the blog from tarkus, https://simtarkus.wordpress.com/2014/01/28/building-up-a-plugins-folder-of-camelots-the-quick-and-legitimate-way/comment-page-1/. This should help you out a lot more.

steveh71

Thanks once again for the help. Once I get NAM up and running, I'll check out your link and hopefully get a nice lot of new buildings to make the most of CAM without needing to download a ton of dependencies.

Cheers,

Steve

InvisiChem

No problem. We are all here to help. :)

tycoonmike

I'm a new user. Created an account here because the CAM actually got me excited to play SC4 again. So many cities built that collapsed because of bad growth models. Been trying to set CAM 2.1 up for most of the day today but I always get the same error:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "datPacker.py", line 1, in ?
  File "datPackerApp.pyo", line 1, in ?
  File "wx\__init__.pyo", line 45, in ?
  File "wx\_core.pyo", line 4, in ?
  File "wx\_core_.pyo", line 12, in ?
  File "wx\_core_.pyo", line 10, in __load
ImportError: DLL load failed: The specified module could not be found.

I've tried the fix with the Mac version and that didn't work either. My suspicion is the DatPacker, but it's been a long time since I've gone around futzing with mods, so you'll have to forgive me if this problem has already been fixed. I'm just not sure what I'm doing wrong. I also haven't been able to find the readme at all. Was wondering if you could give me some assistance?

InvisiChem

Hi tycoonmike,
This is a problem with DatPacker not being very nice with newer systems. I have the new files ready and am writing the installer for the next version. I am doing this a little faster than I originally wanted to do because of these problems. It will not be a full update, but no more DatPacking. Think of this as an alpha release that is very well tested. Being that no methods have worked so far, I think this is going to be the best path.

I have been trying to write the installer for both Mac and Windows platforms utilizing a cross platform install builder. For now, I will just put up the Windows version. El Capitan is not playing nice at all. Yosemite works well with this builder, but El Capitan not so much. I will PM you once it is uploaded. It will be a big file, but is absolutely necessary to get rid of these problems.

Mac users, once I get the developer signature abilities, the Mac installer will work well.

InvisiChem

Sorry everyone for being so quiet for so long. RL has been in the way big time. I have not fully completed the update to all maxis growables. The installer definitely needs an update though. Next up, a large file with some improvements.

No more DatPacking.
Some maxis growables have been updated. The rest will come with each release.
Minor adjustments to the Occupation Drives (Balance was off for High Tech)
Fixed the CAP relief for Dirt Road (RHW) - accidentally did not include it in the last release.
Demand drives smoothed out by being included in the SimCity_1.dat file.

This is the biggies. I'll go back through and document every update as I type up the readme and change log. Cheers and I'm still active and working the Mod.

astragalia

Hello! Thanks for making the mod. I love CAM and had 1.0 but I have uninstalled it in favor of 2.1.0. Everything seems to work as intended, however I have one thing that irks me. On 1.0 the agricultural buildings show job counts of ~100 when I query them. Now, with 2.1.0, they just show the usual counts, i.e., the originals from Maxis, like so:

I was worried that I was getting too little employment for too much land, but when I consulted the Census repository, it was saying the city has more than 7,000 agricultural employees anyway (this is a ~9,000 pop city) — which seems unrealistic to me because I know those few farms with such low job counts couldn't possibly offer up to ~7,000 jobs.

I followed the installation instructions to the letter and I chose the extended version. I am playing a pre-existing region, but it's a relatively fresh one that used CAM 1.0 before.

I was hoping to "migrate" this region to 2.1.0 and the transition was smooth enough. It's just... this very low job count thing is bothering me. Is it intended to be that way or could I have possibly done something wrong, or is it a bug? I appreciate any insight or help that I could get. And once again, thank you for making this!

EDIT: I chose to install CAM 2 on the "My Documents\Sim City\4\Plugins\" folder, but going through the plugins folder in the game install directory, I saw that there is still a folder called "Simcity_1" that contains the file "z_CAM_2.1.0_Stand_Permanent Merge.dat" -- should I delete this folder? I was thinking it was a residue from the datpacker sequence that the installer somehow failed to delete, but I'm not sure.

APSMS

@astragalia, Assuming you already have a SimCity_1.dat in your plugins, I would move those files to a safe place outside your plugins. Likely they're the original backups, and your assumption is probably correct, but I think that the installer failed to move them, not delete them.

Unless, of course, you already know where the backup is. Still, it can't hurt to have more than one backup hanging around, unless you're pressed for space.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

My Mayor Diary San Diego: A Reinterpretation

Tarkus

The SimCity_1.dat file should be in your game installation directory, not your Plugins, with the old version of it backed up.  If you have a full-on copy of SimCity_1.dat sitting in that folder in your Plugins, it'll actually completely block out NAM functionality.  SimCity_1.dat, even after being modified for the CAM, contains vanilla versions of all the RUL files and the traffic simulator.  I recently went through a tech support case involving that scenario with a user on Reddit.

-Alex

astragalia

Quote from: Tarkus on August 02, 2016, 01:01:36 PM
The SimCity_1.dat file should be in your game installation directory, not your Plugins, with the old version of it backed up.

This is exactly what I have, or at least I know I have - a CAM2-modified version of SimCity_1.dat sitting in the installation folder, with the originals backed up someplace else (aside from the CAM2 installer-created backups).

Quote from: APSMS on August 02, 2016, 09:31:46 AM
@astragalia, Assuming you already have a SimCity_1.dat in your plugins, I would move those files to a safe place outside your plugins. Likely they're the original backups, and your assumption is probably correct, but I think that the installer failed to move them, not delete them.

Unless, of course, you already know where the backup is. Still, it can't hurt to have more than one backup hanging around, unless you're pressed for space.

Ooh... yeah, I think moving them to an entirely unrelated place makes much more sense; I did that just now, thanks! But I hope you didn't misunderstand. I don't have SimCity_1.dat in my plugins; I have them on the game's main install directory. What I have on the plugins directory is a folder named "SimCity_1" containing the aforementioned file. What I'm actually worried about is that maybe it's intended for that folder to be there and "z_CAM_2.1.0_Stand_Permanent Merge.dat" does something that I don't know but is essential. I've moved the folder now, and playing without it for a little while I don't notice anything funny. But really, I am a casual player so I don't know if behind the scenes there are some stuff going on.

cacciabombardiere

Hi,
I have just installed sim city 4 deluxe from steam.
I have installed NAM too and I was trying to install cam on my WINDOWS 7 pc but I have the following problems during the installation:

-I selected the CAM Extended (InvisiCam) to be installed

-when I click next to begin the installation, after few sconds a pop up appears: "error occured" with a path in which I can find the log file.
- I click ok and the installation proceeds.
- a new message appears: SC4 Dat Packer failed to update your SimCity_1.dat file. continue install?
-I click yes and a new message appears: "Be sure to Merge the SimCity_1.dat file manually with the file in the Plugins:SimCity_1 folder
-Now, cleanitol starts its job in order to find possible conflicts.
-there are no conflicts and the installation finishes.
-"you have succesfully installed cam"

How should I fix the error?

Mandarin(a)

Since InvisiChem looks busy with other things, I will try to help because I think the same happened to me.

In the readme, search for the instructions for a manual installation. You will have to manually merge SimCity_1.dat with the patch InvisiChem made (using Dat Packer). It is not difficult, everything is explained in the readme.

TheEgonTowst

Has the update InvisiChem was talking about been put online yet? I've combed my way through this thread trying every method (I'm having the issue where JDatPatcher does not create any file when it is run) but have had no success.

vortext

Quote from: TheEgonTowst on September 14, 2016, 07:09:09 PM
I'm having the issue where JDatPatcher does not create any file when it is run

In order for JDatPacker to run successfully the files to be packed need to be inside a folder, i.e. it does not recognize single .dat files within the source directory but rather only packs folders inside of the source directory.

So what you could try is to create a new folder within the plugins folder called 'CAM' first of all. Now put simcity1.dat & CAM files in there. Next open JDatpacker, set the source directory to the plugins folder and run it. Barring any Java issues it should have created a new .dat file called CAM inside of the plugins folder. 
time flies like a bird
fruit flies like a banana