• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

District of Wenzel - Update 116 - 3/17/15

Started by packersfan, June 04, 2010, 12:10:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nbvc

Speedbump Joey

Battlecat

Great stuff!  I really like the shot with the traffic circle! 

eldaldo

I really like your region!  i can't wait to see the next update.

packersfan

Update 13 - Expansion North of Brittany River and Bitter Creek
Finally I get to start expanding the City of Martin!  Actually I've been working on the city for the last month, since I've slowly been releasing the updates every Sunday.  I'm pleased with my mix of wall-to-wall industry and residential, I hope you think it looks realistic, too.

I suggest opening in another tab/window the region map of the District of Wenzel, so you can see where exactly we are travelling.

District of Wenzel Street Map

In the first picture we see the northwestern-most reaches of the city of Martin known as Six Corners Crossing.  This farmland is doomed as the city begins expanding westward.

Six new residential blocks are laid with North 5th Street as the western edge before the dual-rail line.

Beautiful neighborhoods spring to life.  Here we see the tree lined streets of W Franklin Ave and N 4th St.

Some factories and industrial facilities lay their foundations along the rail line.  A gas power plant is constructed at 600 W North Ave.

W North Ave features a center-turn lane.

Our focus now shifts north of North Ave.

Residential development overtakes the farms north of E North Ave which is converted in to small two-lane boulevard.

We hop back down to south of W North Ave and see Bitter Creek, still relatively undisturbed save for the D15 bridge and the rail bridge.

The scenic farms between the Brittany River and Bitter Creek along D50.  So far, downtown Martin has yet to expand this far west.

Very rural layout between Brittany River and Bitter Creek.

Before we see the downtown expand west along the strip of land between the river and creek, we must chronicle some redevelopment in the existing downtown.

Currently, the downtown peninsula is home to many residents in dense wall to wall apartments, but a new medical center is needed to serve the city.

A few blocks of residential housing is demolished to make way for a brand new medical center.  This picture taken several years later displays some new high-rises growing around the hospital.

Remember that beautiful rural scene?

Many years later, the city has expanded to D15.  N Harrison Rd has been extended south over the now channelled Bitter Creek.

Can you tell that this picture is a composite?  The beautiful farmland is no more.

The industrial zone south of Brittany River has also expanded west to Harrison Rd.  Another composite!

Bitter Creek

Remember Six Corner Crossing many years ago???  Well it is now no longer the northwestern-most edge of Martintown, but rather a very busy crossroads.

Thank you for visiting the expanding city of Martin.  I'm excited to finally be able to build up the city.  I'm REALLY trying to make it look realistic, though I still think it needs work as I continue to move forward.

The next update will feature more western expansion of the city.

Please leave a comment if you are lurking, haha, it lets me know I'm being watched ;)

Until next time!

io_bg

Nice update. Have you ever considered using the road/rail/RHW smooth curves? They would fit better in your cities I think :thumbsup:
Visit my MD, The region of Pirgos!
Last updated: 28 November

nbvc

Nice work, the image of W Franklin Ave and N 4th St is my favorite.

peter007

Poor farms  they had to move on for the growing economy  :D
But very good update

eldaldo

I really like your towns, I have been following this for a while now and you have made a really excellent region!  I have a comment about the streetlights though.  In my opinion, you have the color correct, but the light is too concentrated.  while you are correct in your depiction of streetlights as being the brightest thing in city night lights, their light is somehow different.

While this picture is probably on the zoom of regionview or zoom 1, i think if there were a way to make streetlights illuminate a larger area, then it would be more realistic.  I'm not sure if this is possible in sc4, but I would suggest trying it out somehow . . . you are on the right track, and if you succeed I think your mod would be revolutionary and would be added to the NAM in a list of necessary mods for realism.  But back to the topic at hand, great update! I can't wait to see more!

packersfan

Definitely, I didn't change the streetlight color, that is some else's work, off-hand I can't remember, sorry.

Yeah, SC4, doesn't light up like in real life cities except for some of those lots you seeing my pictures (the parking lots with over lapping lights...

I don't know how to mod or anything, if I did, I would look at tinkering with that and seeing what I could do.

noahclem

Nice update, the area seems to be growing very quickly! Creative work with the composites and shifted perspectives. I'm curious what's going on with your streetlights and where that project will end up at  ;)

Battlecat

Nice looking update!  The slow tide of urban development creeps into the farmland as usual! 

packersfan

Update 14 - Westward Expansion South of Brittany River
Now we will look south of Brittany River as Martin expands south and west.  I am pleased with the great urban wall to wall apartment buildings created by goofyguytpa available in the STEX at Simtropolis.  Also many of the industries are from jestarr and the incredible BATers with the Barry Sanders Project.

I suggest opening in another tab/window the region map of the District of Wenzel, so you can see where exactly we are travelling.

District of Wenzel Street Map

Some night shots of the area between Highland Ave (D10) and Harrison Rd.

Isley Elementary School on the corner of S Harrison Rd and E Hanover St. (On the west side of Harrison Rd streets are designated West, on the east they are designated East.)

High-tension power lines travel parellel to S Harrison Rd.

Some factories on the corner of S Harrison Rd and Highland Ave (D10).

Isley Park: a small retreat from the wall to wall apartment buildings.

Back to the east we see farmland south of D10 with D29 (Wisconsin Ave) cutting through it.

Industry has expanded south.  As you can see, I'm having a texture problem on some of the industrial lots.

Residents and jobs are very close to each other in this part of town.  Sprawl has yet to hit the country.

More farmland between D34 and D29 destined to be paved over.

Introducing the first elevated mass transit line in Martin.  This is Highland Station on the Red Line, cleverly named after the road it passes over, E Highland Ave.

My best park that I've laid so far in this region.

Intersection of S Wisconsin Ave (D29), E Hawthorne Ave (D31), and E Baltimore Ave.  The city planners definitely like to create large scary intersections.

Red Line - Hawthorne Ave Station.

Before:

After:

Region View: You can see the city has expanded a little bit.

Hope you enjoyed that update.  Nothing really out of the ordinary yet, I'm just trying to get a good old urban city core built.  Eventually a lot of the residential lots will fall into disrepair and abandonment and grassy fields like Detroit, Milwaukee, etc, city cores as sprawl and the loss of industry deteriorates in the inner core.  However, at this point it is still "pristine" and new!

Tell me what you think!  Any tips, any cool downloads you think would good, etc.

turtle

Nice update. I like how the residentials and industries fit so well together. And, obviously, that region shot is just superb  :thumbsup:

May I suggest some things to make the elevated rail fit better with the building style:

Victorian Style El-rail station by Morifari: http://www.simtropolis.com/stex/details.cfm?id=11944
Deadwoods under el-rail shops: http://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=1961

/turtle
My name is Thomas...

RickD

Great updates, I like seeing how you develop things.
My name is Raphael.
Visit my MD: Empire Bay (My old MD: Santa Barbara County)

Battlecat

Nice job!  You've really composed some great scenes along that elevated railway network!

Tomas Neto

Great work, very nice update!!!
Happy new year!!!

Terring7

Interesting creations :thumbsup:
By the way, the last photo is totally creepy. All those farms are much larger, maybe 10 times bigger, than the city itself :o
"The wisest men follow their own direction" Euripides
The Choice is Ours
---
Simtropolis Moderator here. Can I help? Oh, and you can call me Elias (my real name) if you wish.

cubby420

Very cool region shot...one of my favorites!  &apls