• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Re: Map Tutorial: Discussion Thread

Started by SlimShady, March 10, 2009, 10:00:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SlimShady

I too am having the same problem as jchase79. I recently re-installed XP and have got all the updates I need for Windows. I have used this program before and it worked fine, I think I first dl'ed it from the STEX and all the dll files needed for it to run properly. But now I get this problem popping up. What could it be?  ()what()

I am also in need of some help making a SC4M file. What kind of program do I need to make one?

wouanagaine

what is the message SC4TF tell you ?
if it is the 'program can't use direct x because another program may be using it' it is usually related to a bad directx version installed on your system. make sure you installed at least the version specified in the readme, there is a link to that version.

To make SC4M file, you need SC4TF to sculpt them. You need SC4Mapper if you only want to export/import regions

New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio ♦ dedgren ♦ emilin ♦ Ennedi ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley
M4346 ♦ moganite ♦ Papab2000 ♦ Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
Divide wouanagaine by zero and you will in fact get one...one bad-ass that is - Alek King of SC4

SlimShady

So I installed DX 10 and now it runs fine. I thought I had updated everything. ::) Thank you Wouanagaine. ;D

I have some old greyscale maps of Calgary and Winnipeg, my hometown, that I got off of the STEX. Do I need to use the config file that came with them in the TF? I am just starting to play with this wicked tool, :thumbsup:, so this is the only question that comes to mind right now.

Thanks again. :)

wouanagaine

Quote from: SlimShady on March 11, 2009, 12:32:13 PM
So I installed DX 10 and now it runs fine. I thought I had updated everything. ::) Thank you Wouanagaine. ;D

I have some old greyscale maps of Calgary and Winnipeg, my hometown, that I got off of the STEX. Do I need to use the config file that came with them in the TF? I am just starting to play with this wicked tool, :thumbsup:, so this is the only question that comes to mind right now.

Thanks again. :)
You can use the config.bmp, if you don't then either create one yourself, or if you enter the region size in SC4TF it will create a config.bmp for you but only with small cities
It is up to you :)

New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio ♦ dedgren ♦ emilin ♦ Ennedi ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley
Divide wouanagaine by zero and you will in fact get one...one bad-ass that is - Alek King of SC4

SlimShady

ldvger

Hello-

I am as yet unable to figure out how to install the Terraformer.  I saved the zip file to my destop, then created a new folder on my destop to save the inzipped files to.  These are the files that unzipped to that folder:

about-an AOL html file
readme-an AOL html file (which I read and could not find any instructions in for installing the Terraformer, just how to use it and what to do if the program won't run once installed)
Convert Isoclines-an icon that, when I click once on it tells me it is an application
SC4Terraformer-and icon that, when I click once on it tells me it is an application
sc4- a JPG file
brushes.py-a PY (what's that?) file
msvcr71.dll-an application extension
python24.dll-an application extension
library-a zip file (which I have not unzipped because I have no idea where to unzip it to or if the file will automatically unzip when the application installs)

I checked my system 32 folder and made sure I had the required d3dx9_30.dll and mscvp71.dll files.  I didn't have the DX file, so I downloaded and installed Directx 10.  I couldn't find the mscvp71.dll file, either, so I downloaded that, too, but when I went to unzip it into my system 32 file I got a message asking me if I wanted to overwrite my existing file, so I said no because my existing file is the newer of the two.

I found no setup.exe file or installer of any kind in the Terraformer zip file, so I tried double clicking on the SC4Terrraformer icon.  The readme file immediately opened up, then I got a message telling me to check my SC4Terraformer.txt file.  When I went back into the folder on my destop, I saw a new file called SC4Terraformer.txt had been created.  This is what I read on the clipboard when I opened the .txt file:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "SC4Terraformer.py", line 4, in ?
  File "zipextimporter.pyo", line 78, in load_module
  File "SC4TerraformerApp.pyo", line 83, in ?
  File "zipextimporter.pyo", line 78, in load_module
  File "terraTools.pyo", line 16, in ?
  File "Image.pyo", line 1717, in open
IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: 'datas/mask.png'

I am anxious to explore this tool, so any help would be appreciated.  Oh, BTW, I am running Windows XP Home Edition,  Version 2002,  service pack 3 and playing SC4RH, all updates installed.  I downloaded and installed the Mapper and it works just fine, nice tool. 

Lora/LD

wouanagaine

Hi Lora

It looks like you either didn't unzip the file correctly or your download went wrong
Unzipping the SC4TF.zip should produce the files you mentionned and creates 3 subfolders called 'additionalfiles', 'brushes','datas'

What tool did you use to unzip it ?

New Horizons Productions

ldvger

Hi and thanks for replying so quickly.

I unzipped the download using WinZip.  After reading your post, I made a new folder on my destop and re-unzipped the download into the new folder.  This time I did indeed get the three other folders you mentioned, as well as a new JPG file called "Splash" and another new file named w9xpopen which, when I click once on, tells me it's an application. 

Do I have all the needed files and folders now?  If so, which file activates the install process and what do I do with the zip file in the folder called library?  I'll wait for your reply before trying to install via "hmm, lets double click on this and see what happens" method, hahaha. 

Lora

wouanagaine

There is no installer, you just click on SC4Terraformer.exe and hopefully if you have all needed files, it will run. If not please post here log file as you did

Do not unzip the library.zip, it is not meant to be unzip and need to stay that way

New Horizons Productions

ldvger

Ok, I double clicked on the SC4Terraformer icon in the folder on my destop and immediately the readme file popped up.  Then a little dialog box opened over that asking me which directory to install the application to, with a defaut/suggested location of My Documents/SimCity4/Regions.  I repathed the installation to Desktop, no other folder or path directions...just put it in my general Desktop directory.  The dialog box closed and nothing else happened.  So I went back into the folder on my desktop, opened it, clicked on the new .txt file and found this:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "SC4TerraformerApp.pyo", line 2369, in OnClose
  File "SC4TerraformerApp.pyo", line 2372, in ShowMain
  File "SC4TerraformerApp.pyo", line 624, in __init__
  File "DlgCities.pyo", line 206, in __init__
  File "DlgCities.pyo", line 310, in RebuildConfig
ZeroDivisionError: float division

I now also have a new icon in the folder called SC4Terraformer_debug which, when I click once on it, tells me it is an application.  When I click twice on it (maybe that was a bad?) a black background dialog box pops up with many lines of code which end with the same information I find in the new .txt file and which is posted above, so it's my guess this debug app is the one that figures out where the installation went awry and generates the .txt file (ain't *I* the genius?). 

I will await further instructions and thank you so much for helping me, I appreciate the support.  I can't wait to use this tool...

Lora

wouanagaine

I think you get it wrong

SC4Terraformer.exe is the application not an installer (SC4Terraformer_debug.exe is the same but with more infos in case I need them to help people )
so when you run it ( SC4Terraformer.exe ), it will open your regions folder, you'll have to select one the region you want to see in SC4TF
As you pointed it to your desktop, and as your desktop is not a region folder, it crashes 

New Horizons Productions

ldvger

Ok, I think I got it now.  In essence, the file on my desktop is the installed Terraformer tool and the application inside the folder are the tools that run the overall Terraformer.  I had saved a copy of the region I wanted to play around with to my desktop, so when I clicked on the SC4Terraformer.exe file and got the little dialog box, I directed it to the region folder on my desktop and Voila!  My region opened up.  Yay!  I tooled around a little bit and found out a couple of things that will be useful, then I went back and read more of the readme file, mostly needing, for now, to figure out how to manipulate my camera.  So now I only have one last question.  Is there a way to zoom in/out of either the 3D or the 2D views?  Also, what do the other apps do?  ConvertIsoclines and w9xpopen?

Now I have to go find a tutorial.

Thanks a bunch, I really appreciate your patience and help.

Lora

Vandy

Hi, Lora.

I'm glad to read that you've got SC4Terraformer working for you.  One of these days, I will attempt to get it working on my MS Vista 64-bit machine.  Right now, I can't use it and it is a HORRIBLE FEELING!!!

I would suggest you spend some time looking through the articles in the OmniMaps - Mapping and Terraforming Information section of the Simtropolis Omnibus  You'll find some tutorials and good, useful information concerning SC4Terraformer and mapping in general.

If you have any questions or need further information, please don't hesitate to contact me.

Regards,

Gary (Vandy)

In the end you will see, you is you and me is me.  © May 29, 1980