• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

opening regions in SC4 Deluxe under Windows 10

Started by ldvger, December 08, 2017, 03:12:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ldvger

I bought a new computer running Windows 10 and was unable to install SC4 Deluxe via my 14 yr old CDs, but after having read about this issue on Simtropolis, I was able to download Origin and by using their "Contact Us" on the web site, was able to acquire the digital download of SC4 Deluxefor free by providing them with my CD key # and install it just fine.  Game loads with seemingly full functionality, HOWEVER...I am unable to open custom regions I created in the game years ago.  I have copied the old region files from my old computer to my new "regions" folder, but when I load the game, the old regions are not listed as available and I have no way (that I remember, at least), to tell the game where to find the newly added regions.  I have double-checked the files in the old region folders and all of them have the correct .SC4 file suffix.  I have also rebooted my computer with no better results.  Am I missing a step?  It's been several years since last I played SC4 and while I was an avid region creator at the time, I've completely forgotten what the process is for getting a new custom made region to show up in the region list once the game is loaded.  Any help out there for a returning SC4 fan? 

Thanks in advance!

Andreas

Did you place the regions in the proper folder (\Documents\SimCity 4\Regions)? Then they should show up in the game's region select dialogue. There is another regions folder in the \Origin Games\SimCity 4 Deluxe Edition folder, but that's merely a backup for the in-game regions. In any case, did you check if the game is using your \Documents\SimCity 4 folder? If you installed some plugins there, they should show up in the game. If not, there's something wrong alright.
Andreas

Dublin

Windows 10 with Origin may be setup to be in this folder (OneDrive/Documents/SimCity 4/Regions) or just do a windows explorer search for just simply (regions) it should find it for you.
Where ever you go, there you are.

ldvger

Thank for the help, folks!  And yes, I had my regions in the wrong folder.  Now that they are in the correct folder, they load into the game just fine! 

Still, I can see I have a lot to relearn, as I had a number of custom terrains I guess I am going to have to re-download, and also brush up on landscape tools and my region creation skills.  I have a huge fat manila folder in my desk files stuffed full of SC4 notes, guess I'll need to pull it out and give myself a refresher course.  In the meantime, think I'll cruise around the mayor diaries and see what folks have been doing since I left.

Thanks again!