• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

NAM Team's Super Special Thread for the month of November!!

Started by rooker1, November 01, 2012, 04:17:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lowkee33

I get it, Ganaram.  If someone wants that 7.5m diagonal sunken highway to look just right, you give the answer.  It is the fastest solution no doubt, and also allows old retaining wall pieces to be used.  Bingo, done.  If that's not a good enough answer, then I guess the next best thing is to open up the BAT.

Quote from: Shadow Assassin on November 30, 2012, 03:40:06 AMBetter to only leave it as an option.
Do you think it should be an option (As in, should I re-make the Appalachian installer to have an additional 7.5m DJEM)?  Maybe I'll wait until we get a couple "Why do my 7.5m highways look like this?" posts?

metarvo

If I feel they're justified, I'll be building 7.5m diagonal sunken highways whether there's a DJEM or not.  The cliffside jaggies would probably be less profound for 7.5m than they would be for non-DJEM 15m.  Of course, if a 7.5m DJEM becomes available, I will certainly use it.

On another diagonal-related topic, those new diagonal overpasses are looking mighty good, Alex.  :thumbsup:  My favorite one so far is the DxD RHW-6C over AVE-4.
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.

noahclem

QuoteThe cliffside jaggies would probably be less profound for 7.5m than they would be for non-DJEM 15m

Yeah, that seems to be the case. I tried forming an diagonal sunken freeway area with a 7.5m DJEM and then reopening the tile after returning to my normal settings to see if the jaggies would stay gone since they were placed with the DJEM and the cliff textures would also disappear--unfortunately it doesn't work. However, I had to go to zoom 6 to be sure the jaggies really had returned if that gives you an idea of how minor they are.

I would say it's probably not warranted to re-do your installer Carl, at least until we start seeing the type of post you mentioned.

Swordmaster

I really want to thank the NAMmers for this great month in OSITM. Great work, folks. We've gotten quite a few surprises ;D

Cheers
Willy

Tarkus

Thanks, Willy, and thanks to everyone who followed our progress here.  And a huge thank you to the OSITM committee for selecting us--'twas a great privilege to do this to coincide with a huge milestone for the site. :thumbsup:

We'll be back in our usual spot in the NAM Place/NAM Creations subforums for December, while we continue to work toward NAM Version 31, our biggest release yet.  We hope to see you all over there.

-Alex

sunv123

Though, it won't be as busy, it will still be fun!

Still waiting for the next release....
Provo, a city apart Updated July 4.

dyoungyn

I was rather turned off by SC4 as I could not figure out how to get the game to work with Win 7.  So, I started over with a new map and the basic plugins and started over from scratch and SC4 is working great now.  As I investigate more with RHW, it really makes me excited for new opportunities with SC4 and my interest and patience is wearing thin with SC 2013 and makes me want to play more with SC4.  Great and Wonderful job everybody and I can't wait for the release; I am a HUGE fan of your work.

Don

briman

I ecountered the same situation when I upgraded to Win7.I actually reinstalled from scratch and deleted all plugins. Works much better and was able to put more time into getting  the correct dependencies. To my amaement the strides the community has made in that time are really impressive with functionlity (GLR and NAM) of the RH Mod with alot of goodthingsin the works.

FireSka

Question for the NAM/NWM team:   Will you guys be releasing a puzzle piece for a Maxis highway --> 6 lane avenue transition? (2 puzzle pieces:  1 for elevated and 1 for ground)

This would be extremely useful for my cities and currently it looks funny when having to transition from a Maxis highway to 4 lane avenue to 6 lane avenue (creates a bottleneck).

Should be an easy piece to design/code.   :) 

GDO29Anagram

Quote from: FireSka on December 13, 2012, 08:02:08 AM
Should be an easy piece to design/code.

But a really hard piece to model. MHWs are notorious for being underscale and difficult to work with, so such a piece has a low chance of being made unless someone were daring enough to make the necessary models. Even so, there's still work to be done with what's currently being developed: RHW.
<INACTIVE>
-----
Simtropolis | YouTube | MLP Forums

Swordmaster

Quote from: FireSka on December 13, 2012, 08:02:08 AM
Question for the NAM/NWM team:   Will you guys be releasing a puzzle piece for a Maxis highway --> 6 lane avenue transition? (2 puzzle pieces:  1 for elevated and 1 for ground)

This would be extremely useful for my cities and currently it looks funny when having to transition from a Maxis highway to 4 lane avenue to 6 lane avenue (creates a bottleneck).

Should be an easy piece to design/code.   :) 

If you think it's an easy piece, try to make it. Alex explains it pretty well in this post (it's about RHW instead of NWM but the same principles apply):

Quote from: Tarkus on April 04, 2010, 03:07:26 PM
It's been requested a few times, but it's not likely to happen anytime soon.  It would probably require a fair bit of modeling work, and it's further complicated by the scaling issues, as the Maxis Highways are about 50% underscale compared to the rest of the transit networks in-game, including the RHW.  Also, the transition required would probably take up as much space as the current workaround of RHW-6S/RHW-4 Transition-into-Maxis Highway, if not more, in order to compensate for the scaling.

Due to how the game handles capacity, as far as the traffic simulation is concerned, there's no real bottleneck.  Any "bottleneck" that might actually occur would be the result of the transition from RHW to Maxis Highway technically being an "intersection" . . . and that would affect it the same regardless of the width of the RHW or the Maxis Highway.

-Alex

I'd also suggest people post in the usual threads instead of this one.

- RHW development
- NWM development

Cheers
Willy

Haljackey

Quote from: Swordmaster on December 13, 2012, 08:18:36 AM

I'd also suggest people post in the usual threads instead of this one.

- RHW development
- NWM development

Indeed.

I would also suggest locking this thread and moving the content only shown here to their respective threads. Mods, what do you think?

Tarkus

Quote from: Haljackey on December 13, 2012, 08:29:23 AM
Indeed.

I would also suggest locking this thread and moving the content only shown here to their respective threads. Mods, what do you think?

Agreed.  This thread existed mostly as moving several development threads to the OSITM board for our time there in November was not really an option.  But we're almost two weeks into December now.

Most of the development here was related to the RHW--I'm not going to cannibalize the thread to cherry-pick the development updates out, as it's kind of a nice archive of the OSITM residency, but I will post up a brief "overview" of the developments that occurred here.

Thread locked.

-Alex