• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Simmer's Lotting Lab.

Started by Simmer2, December 11, 2015, 07:24:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tigerbuilder

Over HD'ed? Don't think I've heard that before. Those rocks look really nice to me. Nice work here Simmer!

kbieniu7

Quote from: tigerbuilder on November 01, 2016, 11:13:13 AM
Over HD'ed? Don't think I've heard that before. Those rocks look really nice to me. Nice work here Simmer!

It was just a joke, you know :D
Thank you for visiting Kolbrów, and for being for last ten years!

Vizoria

Yet more fabulous work! You are also really getting the hang of batting too!

noahclem

Looks great, both rocks and substation  &apls

Quote from: kbieniu7 on November 01, 2016, 01:33:37 PM
Quote from: tigerbuilder on November 01, 2016, 11:13:13 AM

It was just a joke, you know :D

Nothing's over-HD'd, we just live in an under-HD'd (simcity) world :D

gn_leugim

Great substation there! a stand alone version is very wellcome! ;)

Regarding the rocks, I have to be critic regarding it. Nice effort but, there are some issues with it.

Over HD'ed is one of the, which, together with the high detail of the textures used, that are not "tileable", creates repeatness patterns on popping too many together. (Green circles)

Also, the models, and particularly how the texture is applied to them, are not the best. you have some very sharp edges, that, by themselves would be very noticeable, and little realistic, and, the UV mapping setting even worsens the scenario, as it looks like you've used a planar map setting, which makes the texture to stretch to infinity in perpendicular faces to the map it self. (orange circles)

So, I would try to make the texture maps you use to tile, and would smooth out a bit the models (SD models would also help to reduce the sharpness on the rocks) also, other method of UV mapping would be nice to improve things.

Sorry if i'm been harsh or negative, but I see potential on them, and I want you to make best out of it, you know, want to make rocks great again...  &Thk/(  :thumbsup:

(I have a pic of it, but my hosting site is off for maintenance, I'll post it latter lol) EDIT: Added the picture :)

Mandarin(a)

Hey, I am quite sure that Simmer2 is aware of those issues. Also, the way I understand that picture, it is more like a joke - normally, no one plops so many rocks at the same place, so no serious grafic glitches ...

What I wanted to say: I believe they will turn out amazing  :thumbsup:

dyoungyn

I think they look GREAT.  I personally could not have done a better job then what was done.  I didn't even notice and still don't notice what the problem is.  Again, they look great as is.

gn_leugim

Quote from: Mandarin(a) on November 05, 2016, 10:15:38 AM
Hey, I am quite sure that Simmer2 is aware of those issues. Also, the way I understand that picture, it is more like a joke - normally, no one plops so many rocks at the same place, so no serious grafic glitches ...

What I wanted to say: I believe they will turn out amazing  :thumbsup:

The over plopling of them may be a joke, ok, but even if there are just a few, I think the issues will be noticed, specially that of the "orange" circles. but that is just my opinion.

Simmer2

Wow! Thank you everyone  :)

@gn_leugim I'm indeed working on an optimal pattern for those rocks you pointed out, thank you!

What I'm going to show you next is still WORK IN PROGRESS......Teaser  ;D

Coming soon..very soon  :thumbsup:

________________________________________________________________________________

noahclem

Not 100% sure where you're going with this but I like it! Pretty much anything with the Centraal train shed is going to appeal to me though :D

Vizoria

This is going to be one immense relot of an already great railway station!

Simmer2

noahclem Pretty big shed  :D

Vizoria Immense it will be...

One more piece of the puzzle. Again it is still work in progress I'm in the process of making some props for this lot to minimize dependencies.

Nick
________________________________________________________________________________

shanghai kid

:o :o wow, that's some mouth-watering teasers, Nick.

Can't wait to see more and the finished station  &apls &apls

Ps. Is the railstation including the right part (where the str crosses the street), all part of the whole station, or is is this two different parts?
Looks to be one single bat/lot with a street, but had to ask after these wonderful first teasers.
Shanghai kid from Norway
"The lurking devil"
(Bam Bam Bigelow & Eddie Guerrero R.I.P).

Simmer2

Quote from: shanghai kid on November 13, 2016, 07:05:33 AM
:o :o wow, that's some mouth-watering teasers, Nick.

Can't wait to see more and the finished station  &apls &apls

Ps. Is the railstation including the right part (where the str crosses the street), all part of the whole station, or is is this two different parts?
Looks to be one single bat/lot with a street, but had to ask after these wonderful first teasers.

Yup it is part of the mega lot.

Update! Last night I completed the massive timed prop family that will be included with this lot. Well over 150 props will be appearing and disappearing throughout the 24 hour SC4 day.
Not long now.

Simmer2/Nick

_Michael

Looking good. One of my favorite stations is getting an awesome relot. Not sure about using the Maxis conference center and Maxis bus shelter. Ruins it IMO. Fluggi would be better for the bus stop, and for the main concourse, I'm not sure, but I bet there is something better looking. Just my opinion thou - it is, of course, your Lot. :)

Simmer2

Hi michae95l Ruins it? A bit harsh don't ya think?
I changed the bus shelter to Fluggi's HD models but the Maxis convention center stays. Added 1 more dependency.
Before I even started this project I went through well over 100 models in search of a building that would fit the space I assigned for it and the look I was looking for. Found none, therefore I settled with a maxis model.
I like it!

Big update, only thing left is search and destroy bugs and a careful polish of the 100's of props used.
I created dozens of new props for this project and they will be released before hand as SM2 Prop Pack Vol2. The timed family pack will be released with this lot. There are over 150 on the pack Timed props are on a 8 hours schedule in order to make the lot more lively.
Of course, the lot texture is completely custom made  ;)

Regarding the triple track layout. I decided that there will be only one that actually will allow trains to pass across the lot, the middle one, the outer tracks have train props on them therefore it will look awful to see trains go through them. However, they will still connect to the rail network visually. Also, the road entrances are TE'd across both connections.

Connection between the outer tracks to the inner one, outside the lot, must be implemented when connecting with the rail network.

Here are a few pics.

Simmer2/Nick

Mandarin(a)

You just love huge lots, don't you?   :D
I think this is a wonderful showcase of your lotting skills.

Tyberius06

Wow!!!!
What are the dimensions of this megamonster?  &apls &apls &apls &apls
I have to find a nice spot for this beauty :D
Personally I'm glad that the conventional center stays. I like that building on this lot. Each of my biggest problem of lotting that I have a lack of knowladge about nice building models. I know there are a lot of, I just don't know them even if I have a quite big collection from the exchanges. Anyway... this is awesome! :)  &apls &apls
You may find updates about my ongoing projects into my development thread here at SimCity 4 Devotion: Tyberius Lotting Experiments
or over there on Simtropolis into the Tyberius (Heretic Projects) Lotting and Modding Experiments.
I'm also member of the STEX Custodian and working on different restoration projects on behalf of non-anymore-active custom content creators.
Current projects: WMP Restoration and SimCity Polska Restoration.
Member of the NAM Team and RTMT Team.

belfastsocrates

I think the convention centre works well in this setting and for this purpose. Nice use of the CIS building as well. Reminds me a little of some of the main stations in the UK which had 60's / 70's officr towers added to stations.

It's a great lot.
A unique nation fusing technological prowess and unparalleled grandeur

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination" - Oscar Wilde

_Michael

Well maybe not ruins it, but it wouldn't be my first choice. What would be my first choice, however, I cannot tell you. ;) The Fluggi bus stops enhance it drastically - much more European and much less American now. Apart from that it's a typical lot from Nick - fantastically beautiful, massively large and perfectly executed. :)
Also - I assume the sidewalk, although your custom texture in the above images, would revert to the installed user sidewalk texture? Or does it have different IIDs?