• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

SC4 on a mac - what's the best host program to use?

Started by newsimaddict, January 27, 2013, 06:54:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

newsimaddict

Hi all,
I've been looking through the various posts but couldn't really get a clear answer...what do Mac people tend to use to run SC4? Bootcamp, fusion, virtual box? Is there others?

I've had bootcamp before but found it kinda annoying to have to restart etc to access the mac side so a mate put me onto virtual box (which from what i understand is like fusion - but free). I love it but aren't sure that it will have to power to load/run sc4...hell my old pc started to struggle towards the end with all the downloads!  :D sooo, a bit hesitant about trying it out and so would love some feedback from people if that's cool - pro's and cons etc and what you actually use.

Love the community and can't wait to get back in the game again.
Cheers.

pieman101

try file juicer its pretty good though it costs money to get the full version
Derrrrrrrrrrrp!!!!!!!!!!!  i post cuz i want to

TEG24601

I play the Mac Version (with the Universal Binary Patch).  It works ok, with the caveat that the double height networks don't work from the NAM, and due to some ID issues, or software that is still PPC being included in the App Package, you can only play for between 20 and 30 minutes at a time.

memo

I use Bootcamp to run Windows on dual boot. I once had an OS X/Ubuntu dual boot setup and tried to get a triple boot, but I could not get Windows to work. So I have installed Bootcamp, dropping Ubuntu in favour of SimCity. ;D It has been very easy to install drivers and everything this way. The restarts are kind of annoying, but I have accustomed myself to that.

I would not recommend to run computationally intensive tasks like SimCity 4 in VirtualBox.

newsimaddict

Much appreciated for the feedback.

I think I'll update my mac with new goodies and go with bootcamp. Memo - good point with not running sc4 through virtualbox...i run one intensive program on it (on the pc side) and it does get a bit shaky so was very hesitant about doing it with something more intense like sc4. Moreover, i haven't given virtualbox enough hard drive space to run sc4 anyway.

Thanks!