• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Which modelling tool to use?

Started by Rady, October 29, 2010, 02:57:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rady

Hi all,

after some months of SC4 agony caused by the birth of my daughter, and still lacking the time to carry on with my MD, I thought I might instead get involved in modelling buildings. I made my first steps some 2 years ago, when I created a littel wooden pier for my personal use. Back then I used GMAX. Since in the meantime I needed to reinstall my PC, I now have to install a modelling software. So I need to decide which software to use. So far I know about GMAX, whic is free, and 3dsmax, which unfortunately isn't free (at least as long as you stick to what we call "law"  ;D ).

However, I just wanted to ask about possible other software bundles that might be used, or is GMAX considered the best (free) solution anyway. And in a sceond thought, would I want to use BAT4MAX? Or keep on with the rendering engine that comes with GMAX?

And finally .. is there anything that I've forgotten to ask about "starting as a SC4 modeller"?

Glad if you would share your experience and advice!

Cheers,

Peter
If it's a good idea, go ahead and do it. It's much easier to apologize than it is to get permission.

Visit my BAT thread: Slow BAT steady - Rady's first BAT attemtps

WC_EEND

I can tell you that if you are a student (and have a vaild student e-mail adress), you can get 3dsmax 2011 for free, legally. If you are not, then I think the BAT is the best solution. Also, 3dsmax is more advanced, but I find it much harder to model something in 3dsmax than in the BAT. Hope this helps  ;)

Xander
RIP Adrian (adroman), you were a great friend

My LOT thread                                    

SCAG BAe146/Avro RJ Project