• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Tarkusian Cities (Update 107-08/23/2020-West Chemeketa Reconfig, Part 1)

Started by Tarkus, June 17, 2007, 08:31:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thundercrack83

Looks good, Alex! I love the development you've got going on and the "obligatory curvy road" picture looks great, too! But my favorite one is the mosaic! Great job, my friend! I'll be looking forward to seeing more!

BigSlark

Alex,

Looks great, man! You have lots and lots of space to expand...and do neat projects that involve RHWMIS ( ;) ;)).

I really like the mosaic, I'll have to check that tutorial out.

One thing I do notice, however, is the lack of railroads. I know the Northern Pacific, Great Northern, Spokane, Portland, & Seattle, Union Pacific, and Milwaukee Road all built branches in the region in the late 19th/early 20th century...

Just my two cents.

I can't wait to see your legendary construction projects and more of the high desert landscape.

Cheers,
Kevin

Edit: As soon as I started writing this reply EL&P's "Roundabout" starting playing on the radio. You must've requested it, Alex!  :D

HabLeUrG

yeah lot of space for to do, thats an excellent work and very well done  &apls

Pat

Alex wow what a wonderful update and love the ruby tuesdays crash LoL
Dang tourist not looking where they stand LoL see you next update - pat

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

Shadow Assassin

Looks good. :P

I can see where you're planning on putting one of the Widened Networks (maybe the 6-C?). :P South 11th Avenue. :P There's a 2 tile gap available for something like that. :P
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
See my uploads on the LEX!

Tarkus

Another update?! :o   I know this goes against my usual style, but here's Update 2.  Well, seen as how I had a mosaic and an obligatory curvy road picture last time, I thought . . . why not combine the two?  Here's an obligatory curvy road mosaic. :D

This is again looking south along Belew Mountain Road, which is located on the eastern edge of the map.  This fairly desolate spot, using the existing road networks, could be reached from Wakeman after about an 8 mile journey. 

Now onto comments:
Ryan (Filasimo):  Thanks for the compliments, and I'm glad to hear you liked the construction shots.  Some additional construction props would definitely be a nice thing . . . I've considered doing it at various times.  It may have to be a project I undertake soon . . .
And we're glad to have you on the NAM. ;)
Joan (Jmouse):  Thanks--I'm happy to hear you liked the mosaic.  You definitely brought up a good point with the irrigation canals.  That's something I've thought about doing, and I know I have SimGoober's canals lying around somewhere on my HD.  Of course, those farms probably won't last too much longer given how quickly Wakeman is growing. ;)  Thanks for the excellent suggestion!
Dustin (thundercrack83):  Thanks for the compliments!  I was rather curious to see how the mosaic came out--that was my first attempt. ;)
Kevin (BigSlark):  Thanks!  Yes, I do have a fair amount of room to expand right around Wakeman.  Of course, that's one of the few flat pieces of land in the area. 

There is a railroad running near Wakeman, but it's about 2 miles away from downtown (it should be on the map from the intro post).  Not sure how realistic that is, though, and given that I usually strive quite hard for realism in my transit networks, and you're quite knowledgeable on railroads, I really appreciate your feedback on that. I will definitely be working some more rail in for future updates. :) 

And as far as using the RHWMIS, you'll be seeing plenty of that soon.  I have some reallywild stuff planned, including some crazy new pieces for the RHWMIS.  They will debut quite soon . . .  ;)

(Actually, Yes did "Roundabout".  But that is rather coincidental timing I must admit.  There's actually some prog rock references laced throughout this MD--the map for instance. ;))

HabLeUrG:  Thanks for the compliments.  You should see more of that space going to (hopefully) interesting uses as the MD progresses.

Pat (patfirefghtr):  Thanks!  Yeah, I was rather amused by that particular crash shot.  I had thought about aligning the construction such that the Ruby Tuesday was in its path just so I could make cheesy puns involving a certain Rolling Stones song.  (You're all probably thankful I didn't.)  But that would have taken out most of the commercial district there on 11th, and I had space on the other side.  We may have to do something about those tourists, though.  ;)

Shadow Assassin: Thanks for the compliments!  As far as South 11th Avenue being updated to some sort of NWM setup, you're exactly right. ;)  You'll see the results of it over the next few updates.  And it's not going to be an RHW-6C, or any other RHW.  But there will be some RHW action soon. ;)

-Alex

tooheys

Looks like you have something here to challenge the Pikes Peak hill climb.

Some might think what you have done is a simple process, but taking into account slopes, cross slopes, slope mods
etc, it isn't an easy task to a get a result like you have achieved here.  :thumbsup:

Wakeman looks good with some nice pic's Well done with the mosaic. ;)

Cheers

Dave

dedgren

Hey Alex- Those brown sparely vegetated hills and winding roads remind me of some drives I've made in eastern Oregon,  You've also shown yourself to have quite the ear when it comes to capturing that "Main Street" western town sensibility.  I've lurked 'til now in your new MD- consider this getting back in the swing of things.

Good luck!

David
D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax

Filasimo

ill have to make sure i get a barf bag from driving those winedy roads that will make me go dizzy!  ??? nice road update and yes we do need more construction highway props
Plaza Mall Project
http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=2171.0
Coming Soon to the LEX!

NAM Team
What can NAM do for you?
//

flame1396

For farming try those round farms you see a lot in New Mexico and Arizona. Those look good in game.

(to zone it use the radius of a police or fire station or anything else really)
The most astounding and unique aspect of the human race is our fervent application of our ingenuity to kill each other, thus completely defying the near-universally proven fact that the ultimate goal of a member of a species is to ensure the survival of the species.

Jmouse

Another very nice mosaic, Alex. Believe me, I know from experience how much work went into constructing that curvy stretch of road. Just don't plop any pubs along the road or it'll soon be lined with rusty little smashed up Simcars!  :D

Until next time ...
Joan

jimmymac

A very nice start I must say, I love the mosaics, having just done my first couple for some upcoming updates I know how tough they can be to begin with, but yours look  very nice, am looking forward to seeing more  :thumbsup:

beskhu3epnm

King Alex,

Enjoying the Kinbasket map I see? Had I known it looked so cool with that painted desert mod, I probably would have used that for the upload image when creating the map :-[!!!!!

I know you are the "transportation man" and it really shows with your attention to detail regarding the layout of the town streets. Very realistic.

Keep this thing going!! I know it is hard to find the time...

http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?board=79.0
New Horizons Productions Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio dedgren ♦ Ennedi ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite M4346 ♦ Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine

Pat

Quote from: Filasimo on July 03, 2007, 08:24:53 AM
ill have to make sure i get a barf bag from driving those winedy roads that will make me go dizzy!  ??? nice road update and yes we do need more construction highway props

Yuppers eaxcltey what Ryan said.... I have a bad case of i wanna puke after trying to make my way
threw Belew Mnt Rd.... Alex this is a fantastic Mosaic - pat

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

BigSlark

Alex,

I love the curvy road mosaic. You and David have convinced me to try my hand at the same concept. I'm getting there but damn, that's harder to do than it looks!

And yes, we all thank you for not making the cheesy Rolling Stones joke. Although, in my experience, "Goodbye Ruby Tuesday" wouldn't be that bad of a thing...

I'm looking forward to more once RLS subsides!

And have a happy 4th of July. Apparently in the land that wasn't the Confederacy they make a bigger deal of it. :D :P

Cheers,
Kevin

thundercrack83

A great curvy road mosaic from the man who made the curvy roads! I can't wait to see more, my friend. Happy belated 4th!

Tarkus

Hi everyone-

Just thought I'd post a little tutorial about a small discovery I've made with the curve puzzle pieces.  Don't know how useful this will be to too many people, but I thought it was worth sharing.

Basically, I found a way to create a longer S-Curve using the 45-Curve pieces.  (Sorry for the gridlines. :-[)

At any rate, here's what it looked like at the start.

In order for it to look right, you'll need to flatten the ground.  I basically placed Street stubs in the path of where the puzzle pieces will go.

Then, place the first 45-Curve puzzle piece.

And here's the trick.  The way the end stubs are set up on the 45-Curve (thanks to a few minor alterations memo made the RULs, which are included in the NAM), it is actually possible to place two end-to-end.

And . . . voila.  A bigger S-Curve.

I'll have more to update here soon. ;)

Now onto comments:
Dave (tooheys):  Yes, that really is a steep slope. :D   I rather like the idea of a Belew Mountain Hill Climb.  It was a bit difficult to build that road, but I've had to do it so many times with this region that the repetition has helped.  I also figured out a fairly effective "undo" method when I screw up as well, besides just exiting the city tile, which helps. :D  Thanks for the compliments and for stopping by!

David (dedgren):  You got me out of lurking over at 3RR quite some time ago, so I guess it was my turn this time. :D  Thank you very much for the kind words; it means a lot to me to know I'm headed down the right track.  Consider yourself a Tarkusian Cities regular. ;)  And thanks for wishing me good luck.  I'll need it. :D

Ryan (Filasimo):  lol. Barf bag.  That really gave me a chuckle.  :D  I must admit, Belew Mountain Road is pretty darn windy, though. ;)  I'd be more worried about the lack of guardrails myself.  Those are some dangerous curves [linkage].  Thanks for the highly entertaining comment. ;)

flame1396:  Thanks for the suggestion on the farms--I really appreciate it.  You'll probably be seeing some more farms in one of the next few updates. ;)

Joan (Jmouse):  Thanks!  It was rather tricky, but I think it was definitely worth the effort.  At least I hope it was. :D  Don't worry, I'm not putting a pub there.  That would really make a mess.   ::)

jimmymac:  Thanks for the compliments!  I actually figured out a couple of tricks with mosaic making which made things a little easier.  I actually used the in-game camera for it instead of doing the "Print Screen" method on this second mosaic, and it turned out to be way easier.  I'm looking forward to seeing your mosaics in Shaping Invermere Valley. 

beskhu3epnm:  I'm not sure if I'm quite royalty yet, but thanks! :)  I haven't even rolled out the crazy transit modding stuff yet. :D  I must tip my hat to you for bringing this map into existence.  I've really had a blast with it.  Part of the reason I've left myself the option of making it a "multi-region" MD is because there's so many fine maps you NHP guys have made that I can't resist the opportunity to try out another.   :D  I think I may have my groove going now, so I'll do my best to keep it up.  Thanks for the compliments on the street network layout as well.  That's something I really enjoy doing, so I'm always flattered when someone compliments me on it. 

Pat (patfirefghtr):  You too with the barf bag? Perhaps I should BAT a barf bag dispensary station to put at the base of Belew Mountain. :D  I'm glad to hear you like the mosaic as well.

Kevin (BigSlark):  Thanks for the kind words about the mosaic!  You'll get the hang of the curve pieces soon enough, I'm sure. ;)  I've been to Ruby Tuesday twice--there's a few of them here in Oregon.  Personally, I prefer Red Robin, though the Turkey Burgers at Ruby Tuesday's are okay if I remember right.  Perhaps if I need to widen 11th further . . . it is a very busy street. :D

Hope you and everyone else who celebrated the 4th enjoyed the holiday as well.  I didn't really get the day off, so it was kind of weird.  ::)

Dustin (thundercrack83):  Thanks for the compliments!  I do have to give quite a bit of credit to David (dedgren) and memo as well, though. ;)  There will be more very soon, and I may even have some stuff to satisfy your map cravings with the next update or two. ;)  Some things have changed.  Happy belated 4th as well! :)

-Alex

Pat

LoL it was just that day when i viewed it... my tummie was woosie as is and wow LoL...
thank you for the tut and btw where are the curve pieces LoL - pat

jplumbley

Ugh... Alex.  You're work is always so great.  Im glad to be following in your coattails and learning from you.  Hurry up and teach me puzzle pieces LOL.  Then I can get a prototype for SAM working.  I think its time you an I had another pow-wow session.  Last time we got Lakeyboy's Slip Lanes working.

I love the map your using!  It is a perfect map to show examples of what those Curves can do!!
"You learn something new everyday."

http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/169/nhpjplumbleykv3.gif
Bringing the new horizons closer to reality.

Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ Dedgren ♦ Ennedi Shadow Assassin ♦  Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
Street Addon Mod - SAM

Jmouse

Love the S-curve, Alex, and thanks for the tut. The curved RR puzzle pieces disappear on any kind of slope, so it's good to know the roads remain visible.
Mmmm, suppose there's a chance you would reveal your little "undo" trick?

Until next time ...
Joan