• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Whitefall, Iridar - update 3 is now up. 16-12-09; p20.

Started by Shadow Assassin, March 30, 2007, 11:38:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Manny

Woua ! The preview is very beautiful  :thumbsup: ! Your city is very splendid ;) !

flame1396

That first teaser pic could sweep the Picture Competition. It's very interesting....  :thumbsup:
The most astounding and unique aspect of the human race is our fervent application of our ingenuity to kill each other, thus completely defying the near-universally proven fact that the ultimate goal of a member of a species is to ensure the survival of the species.

TheTeaCat

Well Daniel

Its about time i posted here again seeing as i had the second post and said I'll be keeping a close eye, Well I have been but have been somewhat reticent in my comments &mmm.

Lets see belated congrats for 2 special interests awards and been voted into the Hall of Fame for MD's and Pics too  &apls &apls

What wonderful storytelling skills, some of the most amazing pics of the surbubia, great skills in city building and with PS,
I'll have to let you know more often :D :D  :thumbsup:

Have this on me it's the least I can do for you :thumbsup:

regards
Derry

:satisfied:
TTC

Kettle's on. Milk? Sugars?    ps I don't like Earl Grey  $%Grinno$%
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle - If you're not part of the solution , you're part of the problem!
"Never knock on Death's door: Ring the bell and run away! Death really hates that!"
Tales at TeaTime      Now A proper NUT      TTC plays GRV II

Speedbump Joey

Extremely nice project going on here!  &apls I love the introduction that you had for it.  :thumbsup:

art128

< no voice >
I see all your MD 4 times and it's incredible  :o :o your city are amazing :thumbsup: realistic and bieautiful  &apls &apls

Arthur
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

Slann

SA! Congratulations mate!  &apls

*grin*
I like your preview pics just as I had stood in awe at Savannah and Ensenada. Looking forward to Whitefall...
Hmmmm *grin* Iridar does sound familiar *grin*
Imperial Representative of the Viceroyalty of Dominea

bohort

This valley and city are very beautiful  :thumbsup:
We have only planet ! Stop Global Warming !
I'm French, so sorry for my bad english !

Shadow Assassin

Introduction
I decided to give SimCity 4 another go, using a different playing style, partially inspired by many city journals. This is my first city journal since 2007, so basically, I haven't played a region like this for two years.

The aim of Whitefall is to see how far naturally growing a region will get me, with some "big-government" ideas thrown in.

Currently, the population, at time of writing, is at 103,000 or so. The transport system is fairly basic, with an embryonic rail system, and a very complex street network. I use Simulator Z - Medium. Map is a modified version of drunkapples's Mackay region.

The current game year is 1970, a time where a lot of modern infrastructure first began to take shape. Follow me as I chronicle the development of Whitefall into a modern metropolis from the sleepy town it is today.

Updates may occur sporadically, since I tend to just do it on the spur of the moment, and real life tends to take priority. I need to write a better introduction - which will come when I have a better idea of how the region's backstory has developed.

Additional notes: The SC4D edition of this diary will most likely be updated second behind ST, as it takes longer to write all the BBCode needed.

-- SA

Region and Transport Views
current year is 1970.

[link]

[link]

Archive:
1970: [region] [transport]

About Whitefall

[more information to come soon - watch this space!]

--SA
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
See my uploads on the LEX!

tooheys

Hi SA, great to see Whitefall on the move again  :thumbsup: I'm sure a lot of people will be watching this with interest  :)

Dave

Shadow Assassin

Let There Be Rail
An integral part of Whitefall is its basic rail system. Thirteen stations, one line. Shared with freight. Basic grade-separation on major roads. The rail system was intended to provide a back-bone for the majority of the city as it stands today. (region views are on page 1)

The rail system is well-used, being the only means of transport for many people. Trains run every 20 minutes with limited connecting bus services.

Today, we look at the first six stations on the network...

Whitefall Industrial Park
The current terminus of the main line that runs through Whitefall, Whitefall Industrial Park is the most heavily used station on the network, with an average of 1500 passengers per hour passing through its doors. Whitefall Industrial Park station also has the freight and rail maintenance yard located next to it, making this particular station very important to the entire network.

It services the industrial park and much of the northern-most suburbs of Whitefall.

One of Whitefall's largest single employers is located here: Joseph Rank Ltd. A flour mill that was constructed to provide the region with finely-milled high-quality flour, the facility employs 1805 people. In a classic example of vertical integration, a number of wheat farms and bakeries also fall under the Joseph Rank banner.

Castlemaine Street
The next station on the line is no less important, either. Completely surrounded by development, it is an important interchange station providing connecting services to nearby Whitefall North Station by bus. The catchment is entirely residential. Whitefall's only radio station is also located here.

Whitefall North
Another terminus station, for the spur line, Whitefall North is located close to the State Fair and the town centre. However, it suffers from infrequent services, so the station is basically underused.

Whitefall State Fair is a popular attraction, located conveniently close to transport. The station for North Whitefall originally stood across the road until a decision was made to move it further into town to provide better transport options for these people in the southern part of North Whitefall.

Whitefall Heights
Back on the main line, Whitefall Heights is the last station before the rail line enters the tunnel under the subdivisions of Whitefall Heights. Located next to a smaller hamlet that is technically part of North Whitefall, Whitefall Heights has not changed much compared to the rest of the city.

Located at a busy intersection, Whitefall Heights is also a heavily used station.

Whitefall Heights is also the largest suburban subdivision, and provides many nice views over the rest of town to the water, depending on where you live in the Heights. Of course, this comes at a cost: it is one of the more expensive areas in Whitefall, which really isn't saying much, but it is.

Whitefall Central
Another major station, Whitefall Central is important as it provides service to the majority of Whitefall proper. It is the second-busiest station on the network, with 1250 passengers per hour passing through its doors. It has been planned to become a major hub for many rail lines in the future, however current situations prevent this from happening for upwards of 50 years.

Whitefall Central stretches from the Heights to the shores of the Whitefall River.

Woodcroft Road
The last station on today's tour, Woodcroft Road is one of the busier stations on the network, providing access to the industrial park there. It also is the oldest passenger station on the network, since it was formerly the original terminus for the Whitefall River line before it was extended to Whitefall North.

Where to from here?
The future of the northern part of Whitefall's rail system is bright. Future extensions will definitely occur, and these will be done over the next 20 years if necessary. Most extension will be done from Whitefall Industrial Park, in Whitefall's northern suburbs. Investments in road infrastructure will go hand-in-hand with the extension of the rail line.

Part 2 of this update will go up tomorrow. If not, it will go up Friday. Remember, I update sporadically.
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
See my uploads on the LEX!

Tarkus

Daniel, it's fantastic to see you back in the MDing world again!  Whitefall looks great, and I see you've got some really nice farm stuff going on with the region right now.  The rail tour was also quite enjoyable--it was great seeing another one of your great maps, and I especially liked the industrial shots there.  That first pic with the switchyard looks especially fantastic, and your neighborhoods look as realistic as ever.

I'm curious to see what all you have in store--whatever it is, I'm sure it will be amazing and well worth following!

-Alex

metasmurf

Nice to see you back. Good stuff as always  :thumbsup:

adroman

...The Legend Returns...

Fantastic work SA! That rail network is stunning

Looks like we're using the same map... of my hometown  :P

Can't wait to see more, those industrial areas are tantalising!

Also, could you tell us what Photoshop effect you used? If it's not too revealing :P

Havva good one,
Adrian.
737s, Air Force, Australia... what next?

Ennedi

Good to see you back SA  :thumbsup:

The map is great, and an idea of a tour along the rail line is really cool. I will visit you here with pleasure  :)

Adam
New Horizons Productions
Berethor - beskhu3epnm - blade2k5 - dmscopio - dedgren - Emilin - Ennedi
jplumbley - moganite - M4346 - nichter85 - papab2000 - Shadow Assassin - Tarkus - wouanagaine

io_bg

Great to see you back in the world of MDs ;)
Love the suburban development. Also nice railway layout!
Can't wait to see more from you! :thumbsup:
Visit my MD, The region of Pirgos!
Last updated: 28 November

Tomas Neto

Fantastic return! And a beautiful update!!!  :thumbsup:

JoeST

I CONCUR"!

Fantastic return indeed, cant wait for more :)

Joe
Copperminds and Cuddleswarms

ecoba

Yes! I knew this was coming but didn't know when!

Wow, Daniel it's great for me to be around to comment on your MD this time around. (Considering I was late for Savannah and Ensenada. But still read through the latter frequently.) This 'new' Whitefall is looking great, and I really do like that map. Is it the same one that Adrian (adroman) is using?

I've always liked your rail lines, and your photoshopping, and they're getting better to this day. I really like the style in which you build your roads to appear smooth curved from afar. It has also always amazed me how great you can make the Maxis row shacks look. They look like normal homes in your cities, and makes them even slighty desirable. (?) But, of course you also have that great selection of BATs in your city. (Are you not going to plop, anything?)

I like this style of updating as well, so keep it up!

Ethan

calibanX

It's nice to see activity here again. I wasn't around to comment the last time around. I'm looking forward to following along this time. I enjoyed the tour of Whitefall's stations and the map looks great. Looking forward to seeing more.

Geoff
Where City and Country Flow Together

rooker1

The return of SA!  &apls

It's really good to see you back at it again.  With this last update it really shows what we all have been missing for some time.  I look forward to following this from it's begining.

Robin  :thumbsup:
Call me Robin, please.