• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Adara - Update 184 - March 26, 2012

Started by Battlecat, February 10, 2009, 06:39:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

art128

Nice stuff with the diagonal bridge, Gordon! The overpass for the railway is a good idea.
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

Ol.S / Benoit

Region shot is really amazing, I love the layout :)
Also, nice work with the diag bridge.
Benoit.
MD : Click on picture

bat

Great work on the bridge!
Looking forward to more... ;)

Lior

Nice tips on how to use this incredible mod!!
And the region is very beautiful!!

noahclem

Excellent updates Gordon!  &apls

The region is really taking shape nicely and the transit system in place is excellent! I'm particularly excited to see how the airport and ferry system turn out. I like the idea of the FLUPs tunnel for one crossing and of course the diagonal bridge for another. They've been such a great and realistic addition to the game. Great tutorial, BTW!  :thumbsup:

I'll be following enthusiastically and looking forward to more! And thanks for the congrats on joining the NAM Associates as well  ;)

Dantes

I like the river banks.  :) The bridge fits nicely into the landscape.  :thumbsup:  I'm looking forward to more.

metarvo

Nice job on the diagonal bridge, BC!  :thumbsup:  You're now playing with one of my favorite parts of the new NAM.  Did you know that there is still a way you can level the terrain even with the DBE active?  Although the single Road tile technique won't work, you can use single Street tiles to do the same thing.  This works because Streets are not yet included in the DBE.
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.

canyonjumper

Very nice, I like the model you chose. It's gonna look awesome when you've detailed it all in ;D

Your friend,
                          Jordan :thumbsup:
I'm the one who jumped across the Grand Canyon... and lived.

Nanami

That diagonal bridge looks quite good there! &apls I can't wait for see the development there!  :thumbsup:

(edit:555th post :P )

Battlecat

Robin (rooker1): Thanks very much!  I plan to use these diagonal bridges quite often!  I can't even count the number of times I've said "I need a bridge here but the orthogonal bridge just doesn't make sense."  Now we have a solution! 

Swordmaster: Thanks!  These particular composites are built by stitching four zoom 1 screenshots together.  I also have a series of zoom 2 composites that require between 16 and 18 images per tile to assemble.  You'll see them during your read.  They're a lot of work but the results are well worth it!  I hope you enjoy your read through the thread!

SCWTC4: Thanks very much for your kind words!

Cyclone1001: The diagonal bridge mod seems very safe to use.  The bridge just demolish like road sections.  If there are any risks, they weren't apparent but I recommend backing up your region before using it, just in case!  Glad you like the results!

Arthur (art128): Thanks!  I've decided to put the rail overpass to use, the tiles just feels a bit barren without railway. 

Ol.S / Benoit: Thanks very much!

bat: Thanks!

Lior: Glad you enjoyed the tips, I'll do my best to provide thoughts on new features like that whenever possible!  Thanks for stopping by!

noahclem: Thanks very much on all counts!  Glad you're enjoying the latest developments!  The diagonal bridges are such an incredible breakthrough it's hard to know where to start.  They really take breaking the grid to a whole new level which I'm just beginning to explore.  I'm also going to take a swing at a diagonal land bridge some day in the future. 

Dantes: Thanks, glad you like it!

metarvo: I can understand why it's your favorite, the results speak for themselves!  Good call on a method to bypass the terrain leveling technique.   I forgot streets had the same ability.  Thanks very much for the tip! 

Jordan (canyonjumper): Thanks very much, I've got a lot of options for future detailing on my plate now!

976: Thanks very much!  Going to be a little while until the development, but I've got a wide range of options now!  I'll probably be bouncing around from tile to tile a bit more than I did in the past to help fulfill some regional demand problems.  Not to mention my desire to actually try out some of these mods I've got gathering dust in my folder! 

Update 174
Savona – Future Suburb

This tile is directly west of Dunster Bend and will contain a medium sized town surrounded by farmland.  It will represent a suburb of the major city that's located nearby.  As such, I want this town to feel like its putting pressure on the farmland.  But that's a development for another day; today I get the roads in place. 

174-1: First off the mark today I need to touch up this hillside.  It needs a bit more definition to justify the transport networks going around it. 

174-2: This should be an improvement.  This ridge will carry over into the neighboring region to act as a railway barrier.

174-3: This small wedge of land is directly west of the golf course in Dunster Bend.  It's also a minor connecting highway so I'm building a bridge here.

174-4: Just a simple bridge, but it's interesting to note that this is the same style as one of the options for diagonal bridges. 

174-5: The town of Savona will be located at the junction of these three roads.  The south road goes to the diagonal bridge and the north road heads to parts unknown but eventually to a point where it will connect to Poplar Grove. 

174-6: On the other side of the river there is another road.  This matches up with the rural road network leaving from the north interchange with Dunster Bend.  It will wind through the farmland and eventually loop back to Alexandria.  There won't be a bridge from this particular road section. 

174-7: In this shot I've got the results of my experiments in making parallel RHW2 and railway networks with wide radius curves.  A one tile gap is sufficient to make a good looking transport network in most cases. 

174-8: The only issue comes with the fractional angle sections.  They can be closer than what you see here, but if I put them any closer there won't be any legal tiles for trees and other details to be placed.  A couple extra tiles will make all the difference later.

174-9: That's all for today.  To wrap things up, here is the tile composite.

174-10: The ever expanding regional composite is here. 

174-11: And last but not least, the reference composite.  Enjoy!

That's all for today!  I'm not sure where we're off to next but I might switch gears and head for the hills!  See you next time! 

art128

Nice working around with the railway and the road setup.

Props & Texture Catalog

SCWTC4

Savona, that's the name of a city here in Italy too  ;D

i'm trying to guess wich route you will take with the railway through "riverside", you put an overpass near the diagonal bridge in the past update mentioning this plan; but it wil run near the river or closer to the road? i can't wait to find it out in one of the next updates...
me and my (clever) friend..
f: "everytime i play SC4 riots erupts, they even blow up a bridge"
m: "do you ever consider the possibility of putting around some police stations?" (joking)
f: "you're right..."
m:

Cyclone1001

Another nice update, the road and railway look great, they should look even better with detailing. Good job :thumbsup:

noahclem

Nice work expanding the transportation framework  :thumbsup:  Look forward to seeing the detailing later!

mave94

Excellent work! The region of Adara gets a nice shape this way.
That diagonal bridge is a nice touch.
It will take a lot of time detailing all those tiles :D
I'm looking forward for more.

calibanX

Looks great as always Battlecat. I'm looking forward to seeing how you develop around that diagonal bridge.

Cheers.

Geoff
Where City and Country Flow Together

bat

Great work on the railway and road! Looking forward to more... ;)

Battlecat

Arthur (art128): Thanks very much!

SCWTC4: It's also the name of a small town in BC, Canada.  I'd be willing to bet it's named after the city in Italy though.  :-D  I'll be keeping the railway down close to the river when I revisit it in Riverside.  It will eventually connect up with one of the ports planned for the major city in the neighboring region. 

Cyclone1001: Thanks.  As evidenced by today's update, I'm starting to get in the mood for some details.

noahclem: Same here, I'm looking forward to some detailing as well!

MrMAvE94: It's a good years worth of detailing lined up now.  I don't plan to focus too hard on any one tile unless it's getting close to completion. 

Geoff (calibanX): Thanks very much, glad you like it!

bat: Thanks for your kind words! 

Update 175
Sailor Bar – Not That Kind of Bar

Sailor Bar is located directly west of Alexandria.  I know I mentioned I might head for the hills but a phone call last night resulted in me having to spend a couple hours on house cleaning since we have our first house showing in over 2 moths tonight.  So it was a choice between spending my remaining time in SC4 Terraformer and having nothing to show you today or do something easy and post an update.  So anyhow, here we are! 

175-1: Geographically speaking a bar is a depositional feature in rivers that is often a hazard to navigation.  They can be associated with the outfall of a tributary stream into a larger river.

175-2: This particular area is the end of the original plopable water stream that we first saw all the way back in Delmar Junction!  Sailor Bar is the dark feature just under the water in the revised terraforming here. 

175-3: This is the channel that the stream will be in.  I've decided to add the plopable water to make it clearer. 

175-4: I'm undecided on how to handle the PW to game water transition but that's a task for another day. 

175-5: The main road through this area is the old highway which doesn't follow the most efficient route.  This road will eventually link to the main road through the town of Greenwood.  One feature of this old road is the occasional classic covered bridge. 

175-6: The rest of the road network here is just through farmland.  But I decided to add one additional detail as a reminder today.

175-7: A small pond will be a nice feature here. 

175-8: The small line of trees indicates where the stream from the pond to the main river will be located. 

175-9: This is the last road from Alexandria.  I think this road dead ends in the neighboring tile, but I'm not too worried about it.  It might have been a thru road that was cut off to reduce traffic.

175-10: On the far side of the river we have a simple highway running through the lowlands and the railway up on the escarpment. 

175-11: That's all for this tile.  Here's the tile composite image.

175-12: The ever expanding regional composite.

175-13: And the reference composite. 

Next update is dependent on gaming time but I should be able to have one by Friday for sure.  See you later!

art128

Nicely down, Gordon! Looking forward to that little river and that stream.

Props & Texture Catalog

SCWTC4

for beign an "emergency update" it comes out very well, nothing less that the ordinary ones, and the covered bridge on the old highway is a nice touch.
me and my (clever) friend..
f: "everytime i play SC4 riots erupts, they even blow up a bridge"
m: "do you ever consider the possibility of putting around some police stations?" (joking)
f: "you're right..."
m: