• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Adara - Update 184 - March 26, 2012

Started by Battlecat, February 10, 2009, 06:39:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cyclone1001

Amazing stuff, you can do alot with what seems like nothing. One question I have is this: How long does it usually take for you to make a standard update? Or should I say, how long do you spend working on one? Sorry if it has been asked before, I'm just curious.

EDIT: Also, where did you download the sidewalk/tile mod for the GLR? I can't seem to find it.

danielcote

canyonjumper

Wow! The detailing along the diagonals looks great! Very nice work today ;D

-Jordan :thumbsup:
I'm the one who jumped across the Grand Canyon... and lived.

djvandrake

Another great update.  I'm most impressed with your treatment of diagonals, and that attention makes such a huge difference.  Can't wait to see what "completely different" thing you have in mind next to the round barn.  :thumbsup:

threestooges

109-7 is still a bit jagged looking with the edges, but excellent blending work in 109-13. It runs the risk of almost being too linear in a way, but then it's a farm, straight lines are common, even when nature nudges in. I agree about the farm building in 109-4. It's a great base to work from, but the farm tubs on a wide scale like that just seem a bit odd in most instances where I've seen them grow. Those things'll grow like weeds too if you let them. I'm not sure what it is, but the composition of 109-8 really caught my eye this update. It has a nice balance to it.
-Matt

RickD

Very nice. I have been experimenting with RRP pasture to hide edges, too. With mixed results because the colors do not match in all situations which makes it look odd again. But your result in 109-13 is really good.
My name is Raphael.
Visit my MD: Empire Bay (My old MD: Santa Barbara County)

art128

Excellent attention to the details, Battlecat !
I loved this update, great work with the farm fields. The diagonal close-up is nicely done. Also as the final result !

Arthur. :thumbsup:
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

nedalezz

Another stunning update. My favorite picture is where you showed us how you cleaned up the diagonals - just incredible. It made it so natural looking.

kwakelaar

The new diagonal filler technique is another great touch from you when treating farmland here in Adara.

Battlecat

kimcar: Thanks very much!

Jacob (ShultzCity): Good point about the run down farms, but it is a nice alternate option rather than having to make diagonal fillers for every farm!  Glad you like how it came out!

Ethan (ecoba): It is always nice to see new fields in the region, although some of them are better than others.  Thanks for stopping in!

Cyclone1001: Thanks for stopping by!  It generally takes me about 2 hours of gaming for one update and about an hour of writing per update.  Updates with lots of composites and mapping will tend to take longer. 

The sandstone mod for the GLR and RTMT was created by Toichus Maximus and I.  It's currently sitting in the LEX scrutineering hopper, awaiting feedback.  It has undergone two revisions already based on feedback.  Apparently it takes quite a while to test transit based mods, plus a lot of testers are having busy lives at the moment.  Rest assured, I'll let you know as soon as the mod is released!  Sorry I don't have a better answer for you but glad you're looking forward to it. 

danielcote: Thanks!

Jordan (canyonjumper): Thanks very much, glad you like the effect!

djvandrake: Thanks for your kind words!  Ironically, something completely different in the case of that farm is to do nothing at all!

Matt (threestooges): Yeah, I think I'll have to take another pass at the edge of that one farm, but glad you like the concept and the results in the later attempt!  I actually don't mind letting those farms grow on occasion, these days it's easy enough to just replace the field with something more appropriate!   Thanks very much for stopping in! 

RickD: Glad you've found the idea inspiring.  I haven't tried the technique on all farms yet, but I suspect that any farm that uses a prop based field will be more trouble to do this sort of blending on.  Thanks for your thoughts!

Arthur (art128): Thanks for your kind words, they're always appreciated! 

nedalezz: Thanks very much, I'm really happy with how that effect worked out.

Gjermund (kwakelaar): Thanks, glad to hear you like the effect!

Update 110
Greenwood – Detailing

Once again, a much larger delay than I had planned, but I hope the extra long update will make up for it.  I'm just going to continue on with the farming details today, hope you enjoy it!

110-1: We'll pick up right where I left off here. 

110-2: I've decided to leave this farm field clean just for something completely different.  It doesn't have any odd textures so it will work quite nicely.

110-3: This is another farm that needs to be converted from these large tubs.  In this case, I'll be replacing the fields with corn. 

110-4: I'm not going to run the game for a bit yet, I want to finish some other stuff up first.  All the diagonal materials are great to have around.

110-5: Once again, here's a field that needs to be replaced with some RRP stuff.  I don't want to use diagonal fillers, so I'm going to put a pretty big buffer along the highway.

110-6: It's nice that the fence line lines up with the property line of the neighboring farm along the highway.

110-7: These little trees will get larger in a few years of game time.  In the meantime, this area needs the rest of its details.

110-8: I never get tired of putting in the RRP textures.

110-9: Here's the small horse farm fully converted to RRP. 

110-10: And one last shot of the details along the road by the corn field.

110-11: After running the game a few months, here's what the area looks like now. 

110-12: Next, I want to finish up the edging along the FAR road here. 

110-13: I'm going to extend this new growth farm along the road, much like I've done in the past.  Difference this time is that I'm going to be using filler lots instead of extending the lots under the road.

110-14: These lots have the RRP textures pre-placed on them to help blur the edges a bit.  I'm pretty happy with how this turned out.

110-15: Here's the finished farm.  Unfortunately, the bit by the corner is blank due to the nature of that particular curve.  Still, it looks pretty good if you ask me.

110-16: This last block of land is going to be another wetland pond.

110-17: I'm going with a marshy feel for this one.  I'm envisioning that this area is preserved for bird habitat. 

110-18: Here's the result once it's all treed in.

110-19: It's been a while since I've done a full overview, so here's Greenwood as it stands now.  This is the last time I'll be able to get the entire block of development into one zoomed out shot like this.

110-20: Just to wrap things up, here's a quick mosaic of the new pond.  Something odd appears to have happened to that farm above, but I'll just leave it as is for now.  Hope you enjoy it!

That's all for today!  See you again for the next update! 

Edit: It appears Adara also passed the 50,000 page views in the last few days!  Thanks very much for your interest everyone! 

Nardo69

It has been a long time since I showcased T Wrecks' diagonal filler lots during the beta testing in Urland. That was kind of milestone in diagonally rural design in Sc4. However I stuck a bit to orthigonals - unlike you, and I have to say regarding diagonal design you're the king. Without any question.

Something I like to forget are those telephone / telegraph / small electricity lines and poles. Maybe because a lot of them went underground in Germany but nevertheless quite some still exist and everytime I visit Adaea I think "hey - you could've done them way more often ... next time I'll use them too". Needless to say that bad ol dhabits are strong.

Nice small lake. Another thing I need to try out someday. Oh boy.

BTW have you been able to use what I sent you some time ago?

Take care

Bernhard  :thumbsup:

scott1964

The farms look nice.  :D Where did you get the farms in pictures 9 and 10? :)

threestooges

I like the way Greenwood is developing. Everything seems to have gone off-grid. You've managed to give the roads and farms a very fluid design, weaving about like they are, that is really tough to do with the game. Dare I ask how many custom lots you've made for these fillers? However cluttered your park menu may be, the results are worth it. I think it goes without saying at this point (yet I'll say it anyway) that you have the farm detailing down. The marsh turned out quite well too, but it wasn't until the mosaic that the detail of it all really stood out. Simple things like the log just past the bottom of the pond, partially covered by the bushes/grass, and those willow-type trees (there are about four of them around the pond), they give just enough visual variety to break up the scene and prevent the forest from looking homogenous. I think it's steps like that that take pictures to that next level. Nicely done as always.
-Matt

io_bg

Looks fantastic, I love your farm communities. I especially like the diagonal farms and the detailing along them.
Keep up with the great work! :thumbsup:
Visit my MD, The region of Pirgos!
Last updated: 28 November

ShultzCity

Fantastic update BC! I am in awe of your ability to detail so well. I'd love to get my hands on RTMT and GLR sandstone mods, even if it is for testing. *drools*

And I wouldn't mind (ahem, LOVE) those FARR fillers.... Great job :)
I'd love it if you could check out my photography! Click on of the links below:
http://www.jacobshultz.com.au
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jshultzphotography/

RickD

Great update again.
I watched the movie X-Men Wolverine the other day and there were several scenes in the canadian rocky mountains in a lumber camp with a large clear cut. My first thought was "wow, this looks just like Battlecat's MD".  :D It is certainly a compliment for you but what does it tell about me?  ???

Onto the next 50.000 page views ...  ;)
My name is Raphael.
Visit my MD: Empire Bay (My old MD: Santa Barbara County)

canyonjumper

Great update BC! As always the diagonal fillers are an awesome touch!

-Jordan :thumbsup:
I'm the one who jumped across the Grand Canyon... and lived.

Cyclone1001

Amazing update, as usual. But seriously 2 hours of gameplay!!! You can do more in 2 hours than I can do in a day! I honestly don't know why it takes me so long, but it does. Thanks for answering my questions, have fun making SC4 look way too easy!

Nexis4Jersey

You still make the nicest rural towns  :thumbsup:

FrankU

So beautiful again! And congratulations with the 50.000th view and the 1219th post.  :thumbsup: