• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

BAT Showcase

Started by mattb325, February 01, 2007, 04:07:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mattb325

Thanks guys, with the roads....please remember that this is a model that was designed as a train station.

Besides, elevated roadways are actually incredibly common for cruise ship terminals. Take these three in Manhattan:

This one in Sydney:

And now, one in Sim City 4:

As well as being a response to the capacity of the terminal and the constraints of the site on which it sits, the reason for having elevated roadways link up with the terminal is to ensure that passengers and freight don't mix on the same concourse (for safety reasons). Doing it this way allows quicker unloading times, and hence more cruise ships can berth in any given period which means more money and taxes for the operator.

In this picture, you can see that I have placed JRJ's ship on the closest side of the cruise ship gangway (the first picture was taken on a bare minimum plugins), but you could just as easily place one of SOMY's or PEG's ships.

I'll finalise the modding + read-me and then this one will be ready for release.

fantozzi

It's something amazing, fascinating how to see 'what could be' from 'what is', a prerequisite for creativity ... like, when you compose, you must be able to hear melodies that 'could be'.

Amazing how you turned the rail station into a cruise ship terminal. That's a demonstration of creativity imho. To look on something and see something else in mind ... making transformations.

Maybe the angle of the gangways is a little steep to walk it comfortable.

Hm, even if road access seems okay to me, I was wondering why not leave it with rail connection?  A monorail/high speed rail to cruise ship switch, doesn't it make sense? So where crusaiders (?) directly jump of the train and board the ship?

Well, something similar existed in Dover to my knowledge (http://www.dover-kent.co.uk/marine_station.htm).

Don't know the reason why this concept isn't more common - like f.e. train to flight with underground lines below the airport is very common. 

Andreas

Admittedly, I never had a closer look at a cruise ship terminal, so these might be rather common, but I just made the ferry association on the first glance. Separating passenger and freight in different levels is a good idea, though. The café area is looking fine as well! :)
Andreas

PaPa-J

I think it looks great.  Your ship placement is rather good.
Lighten up, just enjoy life,
smile more, laugh more,
and don't get so worked up
about things.

mattb325

Thanks guys

Another Bat for the pile of junk  $%Grinno$%...I still haven't added nite lights yet, but the 2x2 grew for me. It also has a 3x2 version.

It is just a made-up building called 'Downtown Hotel', but it is a good taller mid-rise for W2W areas:

matias93

WOW! That's a really fancy building, and something sorely needed for balance on W2W environments meant to look like existing on the 21th century.

"Lets be scientists and as such, remember always that the purpose of politics is not freedom, nor authority, nor is any principle of abstract character,
but it is to meet the social needs of man and the development of the society"

— Valentín Letelier, 1895

Unconstantean

perfect, how can you call it junk? :))) it's amazing, we do lack modern w2w buildings

belfastsocrates

Oh! That's a very nice modern addition indeed! Certainly not junk at all
A unique nation fusing technological prowess and unparalleled grandeur

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination" - Oscar Wilde

PaPa-J

Not junk, quite good actually.  Very modern looking. The game needs more of these.
smile more, laugh more,
about things.

manga rivotra

I love the architecture of this building, and it fits very well visually with Vivo and Kensington.
I already imagine future neighborhoods thanks to your wonderful creations.  ::)
A big thank-you !  :thumbsup:

mattb325

Thanks guys for the comments & likes  :)

When I say 'junk' I mean junk as in 'trinkets' which we shouldn't take too seriously and just have a bit of fun with them.  %$payas)( :satisfied:

The Russians have been in the news again with reports hacking and other nefarious activities and it reminded me of the St Petersburg Internet Troll Factory.

I made CO$$ and CS$$ lots out of it (as well as the courthouse with the little hover queries that I showed a few pages back).

I have decided to release the CS and CO versions only as making the courthouse version hasn't been much fun, but the CO and CS versions are very useful in cities and it's quite a nice little BAT:

Available here:
http://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=3604

brick_mortimer

Looks quite well for a piece of junk  $%Grinno$%

On the other hand..., it's the architect speaking, so he may have cut back on materials and structural strenght and added a fancy facade to cover this up #junkafterall :P

$%#Ninj2'ed by the Internet Troll Factory :D
Thanks for bringing more variety in the commercial sector :thumbsup:
Busier than a one legged man in an ass kicking contest
Me no coffee function without so good

mattb325

Thanks brick_mortimer....yes, this building is flimsy...made from only vertices, lines and textures...not somewhere you'd want to take shelter in  ()lurker()

Started another one.

This time by the architect Lutyens. While I liked his work at the turn of the 20th Century, very homey and all,  but it was his designs around the first world war that made his commissions sought after and was always quite unusual.

It is still very much just a morning's work in progress and there is much to tweak/change....

It is just a slight departure from the ultra modern stuff of the last few posts.....

Simmer2

Shaping up nicely!!

Simmer2
________________________________________________________________________________

bombardiere

Aaahhh.  :thumbsup: While I like your modern building and those are filling my Houston style city nicely, this is more of my cup of tea.  :)

I think that I could use it US style cities too, but now I wonder which style it should fit. Chicago or New York.  &Thk/( Too modernist for Chicago style, but not really Art Deco either....

Girafe

Looks to be a lovely start  &apls &apls
The Floraler

This is the end, hold your breath and count to ten, feel the earth move, and then...

*   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *    *   *   *   *   *    * 

feyss

Great, you even make us discover new buildings  :thumbsup:

It would fit in any kind of city  ;)

belfastsocrates

Very excited to see some Lutyens creations! He designed some important buildings and that Midland Bank Building will be a great addition to the game. UK cities like Manchester and Liverpool have some lovely grand commercial buildings so I'm delighted this could make it in-game.
A unique nation fusing technological prowess and unparalleled grandeur

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination" - Oscar Wilde

PaPa-J

Great start.  &apls  It that is just a mornings work I am truly impressed. That would have taken me two to three days.  $%Grinno$%
smile more, laugh more,
about things.

reddonquixote

Pumping these little gems out faster than I can keep up! Love the Downtown building, and that last one by Lutyens is really good. The texturing is particularly nice  &apls &apls &apls
Pay heed to the tales of old wives. It may well be that they alone keep in memory what it was once needful for the wise to know.