• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Blackwater (with Islas Gemas)

Started by emilin, January 25, 2007, 10:56:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rooker1

Congratulations my friend!  &apls
Nothing more need be said. ;)

Robin  :thumbsup:
Call me Robin, please.

bat

Congrats on your third time in the OSITM-section! :thumbsup:
Looking forward to more updates.... ;)

emilin

What the...? ;D

I had no idea this could even happen. Ah... well... I'll see what I can dig up. ;D

BlackwaterEmil's inn
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio ♦ dedgren
♦ Emilin ♦ Ennedi ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦
papab2000 ♦ Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine

rooker1

Ha!  Emil, you are not safe any where.  With an update like your last one....this can't really surprise you my friend.

Robin  &apls
Call me Robin, please.

dedgren

D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax

WC_EEND

reminds me of this Monty Python sketch :D
RIP Adrian (adroman), you were a great friend

My LOT thread                                    

SCAG BAe146/Avro RJ Project

Nardo69

Congrats on the - well deserved - OSITM!

I'm just beating my head against the wall for not coming earlier to your great MD! Love the asian field as well as the european settings the update before. Especially the Winter settings - wow!

Only thing I found though - well, I have to loose a reputation  ;)  :D ) is that freight station at the main railway line!  $%Grinno$% Freight station are NEVER at the main line but on a siding because they always require shunting maneuvres which would block regular traffic.

Other than that: Breathtaking. Simply Breathaking!

emilin

A sort of update ;D

I'm sorry to say that I haven't been able to build anything ingame since the last update. But since I still felt a bit bad about not finishing the 14 summits project I had going a few months ago, I thought this might be the right time to do that.

A short summary: there are 14 mountains in the world that reaches above 8.000 m. All of them are located in the Himalayas. I have turned the first 11 of them into SC4 maps using real elevation data that has been transformed into readable Terraformer files. They are available for download on the LEX. I had three peaks left to do and I will show them to you below.

- - - - -

Gasherbrum I (8.080 m) and Gasherbrum II (8.035)

Gasherbrum I is also known as Hidden Peak. It it is the 11th highest peak in the world and reaches 8.080 m. The name actually means "beautiful mountain". It was first climbed in 1958 by Pete Schoening and Andy Kauffman.

Gasherbrum II is part of the same massif as Gasherbrum I. It is the 13th highest peak in the world and reaches 8.035 m. It was first climbed in 1956 by Fritz Moravec, Josef Larch and Hans Willepart.

Shishapangma (8.013 m)

Shishapangma is the 14th highest peak in the world and the lowest of the +8000 m mountains. It reaches 8.013 m and is also considered one of the easier climbs at this altitude. None the less 22 people have perished on its' slopes.

- - - - -

However, all of the other packs included three maps, and since two of the peaks are located in such close proximity to each other that only one map was necessary I would like to add a bonus map.

I have made a few alternatives using topos of some of my favourite Himalayan peaks and I was hoping for your input here: which of the following maps should be included as the 15th map of the 14 summits project?

Masherbrum (7,821 m)

Masherbrum is the 22nd highest peak in the world and reaches 7,821 m. It is also known as K1 because it was the first surveyed mountain of the Karakorum range. Besides rising high above local terrain it is also the most striking peak seen on the trek to K2, Broad Peak and the Gasherbrums. It was first climbed in 1960 by George Irving Bell and Willie Unsoeld. It has only been summited four times in total.

Nanda Devi (7,816 m)

Nanda Devi is the 23rd highest peak in the world and reaches 7,816 m). The name means "bliss-giving goddess" and the mountain is notoriously hard to summit. This is not only because of its' steepness, but also because the main peak is guarded in all directions by very high subsidiary peaks. And the location of the mountain makes it a very dangerous effort just to reach base camp. It was first climbed in 1936 by a British-American expedition.

Baintha Brakk (7.285 m) and Latok (7.145 m)

Baintha Brakk is nicknamed "the Ogre". It has only been summited twice, and there is a reason for that. Some call it the hardest peak to climb in the world and it is extremely steep and technical. The nearby Latok group is also known to be very, very difficult to climb. Baintha Brakk was first climbed in 1977 by Doug Scott and Chris Bonnington. Latok I was climbed in 1979.

Machapuchare (6.993 m)

Machapuchare is a southern outlier of the Annapurna massif. The peak does not reach over 7.000 m, but holds tremendous relief over local terrain. Its' pointed peak is known to resemble a fish tail and the summit is off limits to climbers due to religious beliefs. The name, incidently, means "Shiva's penis" (sorry moderaters, but it's true).

Ama Dablam (6.812 m)

Ama Dablam is not one of the highest mountains in this region. It only reaches 6.812 m but is well know for its' dramatic appearance. The name means "mother and pearl necklace" and it stands as a gatekeeper on the trek to reach the base camp of Mount Everest. It was first climbed in 1961 by Mike Gill, Barry Bishop, Mike Ward and Wally Romanes.

BlackwaterEmil's inn
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio ♦ dedgren
♦ Emilin ♦ Ennedi ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦
papab2000 ♦ Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine

Battlecat

Those are some amazing looking mountains.  Great job!

Scarton

These are great maps, I wish you would release them all! I like the Masherbrum and Nanda Devi.

djvandrake

Badsim

Just before your MD falls again ... in the HoF section  $%Grinno$% , wanna let you know I was here , agreeing with all praises above me . Simple idea , indeed , to design fields at a proper scale .... so simple that I didn't see that before . ( I don't pretend having seen it all either ... )

On a side note , I know life is life but we met there in the early days of that great site ... it generates special feelings : can't formulate it otherwise than ...

I miss you , Emil .

Harshly . :(

Cédric.

°   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °

threeswept

Super amazing terraforming on those mountains! WOW! **starts thinking about this winter and snowboarding***

Swesim

Quote from: emilin on August 16, 2009, 12:10:45 PM
which of the following maps should be included as the 15th map of the 14 summits project?
My vote definately goes to the Masherbrum (7,821 m) map.
Great work on those mountains!

citymax

Tomas Neto

Exla357

bat

Nice work on the mountains!!! :thumbsup:

ricardomiranda

biff2

Sorry to dig up old topic but I saw those 3d mountains in this thread.   I'm new and want to know how I can view those in a program.

I have a program called meshlab that I can rotate 3D objects in, very easy to use.

To view the models in this thread what do I need?

- Where do i download the actual data used for them
- What program can I freely rotate zoom the modles?

Thanks!