• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Show us your...Intersections

Started by sanantonio, January 23, 2007, 05:17:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tarkus

Thanks, dyoungyn, Alan_Waters, and all those who liked the post--glad you enjoyed it!

Quote from: Alan_Waters on September 11, 2017, 08:41:32 AM
I would be very happy if there was such a ready-made intersection in the RHW.  ::)

The whole interchange was built out of FLEX components (no static puzzle pieces), which does mean it could be turned into a "QuickChange Xpress" in the future.  The QuickChange Xpress plans are still being formulated, however.

-Alex

dyoungyn

Quickchange interchanges, oh boy that is possible excitement &apls &apls &apls &apls &apls &apls &hlp &hlp &hlp &hlp

Wiimeiser

Not much of an interchange, but

You can do stuff like this now.
Pink horse, pink horse, she rides across the nation...

Wiimeiser

I am absolutely certain it is physically impossible to make this interchange:

more compact than it already is without making it this:

Honestly, I see no alternative whatsoever.

Kitsune

That first picture is the very definition of a spaghetti junction.
~ NAM Team Member

Wiimeiser

If anyone wants to try and make that first one more compact without resorting to the at-grade solution I used for the second one, be my guest.

Meanwhile, this:

is just about the only way to get a 4-way grade separated interchange that doesn't take up two and a half small tiles. I just can't do a stack... We really need curved height transitions...

APSMS

Wiimeiser, if you could describe what that first interchange is supposed to be (like, either a description or a small really basic diagram), I think I can whip something up next time I fire up SC4.

Also, that last interchange you posted? That's called a cloverleaf  ;)
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

My Mayor Diary San Diego: A Reinterpretation

Wiimeiser

For the one I was having trouble with above, it's supposed to be something similar to this but simpler. Specifically the north and west are continuous, so it's basically two T-stacks with anti-weaving. Probably this minus the 285 to the north and with the mainline 85 going west instead of south.

I know that's called a cloverleaf. And now I know why they're so common in older systems, because they're so simple.

APSMS

I think this is more compact:

It's not up to my usual standards of smoothness, and there's the smallest bit of weaving heading east from the large freeway, but I think it's pretty good.

A better understanding on the design limitations (like the surrounding area or terrain) might offer some more interesting solutions. FWIW it was a bit fiddly because for some reason some of my flyovers refused to work. The L1 A2 MIS FLEXFly wasn't playing nice with my nested RHW 8S right next to each other, so I had to change it a little.

Tyberius06

It's very nice interchange APSMS, I like the desing, however there is a missing transition I guess. From the curving main highway there is no transition (way) to the smaller highway from left to right (there is only one ramp, which leaves to "south" to the left bottom corner, but there is no lane towards right to connect into the smaller highway near the right middle edge of the picture... Was that intentional, or you might missed it?

I know how hard is to make these complex interchanges, I always have to count the ramps not to forget any of them...

Anyway it's very nice work! :)

- Tyberius
You may find updates about my ongoing projects into my development thread here at SimCity 4 Devotion: Tyberius Lotting Experiments
or over there on Simtropolis into the Tyberius (Heretic Projects) Lotting and Modding Experiments.
I'm also member of the STEX Custodian and working on different restoration projects on behalf of non-anymore-active custom content creators.
Current projects: WMP Restoration and SimCity Polska Restoration.
Member of the NAM Team and RTMT Team.

APSMS

Tyberius:

Not intentional at all. :-[ I totally missed that. It has been a while since I made a proper full access RHXxRHW interchange.

I may have to rethink that whole section, but if I'm lucky there might be a way to sneak it in.

EDIT: A bit of fudging on the tolerances (you'll notice that the right side RHW's have shifted a bit), but it's there.

Wiimeiser

I guess I'll be trying for a recreation of this one, then. And the shifted highway isn't a problem since it goes on for a while.

dyoungyn

Is it really possible now the cross over diagonal L1, 2 and 3?   This is something that people have been asking for for compact Trumpet Interchanges.

If so, then it may also be possible to do a true L2 elevated compact Trumpet interchange &idea &idea &idea &idea &idea &idea &idea &idea

APSMS

I was under the impression that it was always possible to cross over L1,2,&3 diagonally, but importantly FLEXFly does not work over diagonals (I learned this the hard way). Notably, though, I did not use L3 in that interchange. Only levels L0-L2, to be more in line with a less advanced RHW user's installation (where the higher levels might be overlooked or not installed, though I can't think of a good reason for not having them if you're gonna go for the RHW).

So any diagonal sections that you cross over are going to have to remain straight. AFAIK DxD crossovers are supported (the half-dragging method illustrated by Ganaram will make for the most stable crossings), but it's still incredibly fiddly, particularly since I was insistent that I use the 8S smooth 45o curve, which really made things incredibly (ridiculously almost) unstable.

FLEX Ramps were used where possible, in addition to draggable ramps, but noticeably I used the Project Symphony 270 degree L0-L2 loop, as well as the RHW-4 diagonal A1 exit puzzle piece, because for some reason the FLEXRamp refused to convert over, and didn't drag out a MIS ramp. So both deprecated Puzzle piece ramps, as well as FARHW and MHO/PS were used to build this ramp

Kitsune

I dont think the L3/4's having any diagonal crossings. I've tried recently and couldnt even draw a L3 MIS over a L2 and L1 6s... was getting the red squares.
~ NAM Team Member

dyoungyn

I stand corrected, I meant L2 over L1 and L0.  So, after trying, you are correct, there is still no all diagonals crossing and rather one diagonal and all others straight.

Regardless, Alex showed a much better option for compact downtown interchange which will also make the elevated more than 6 lanes and more realistic 8 lanes. 

Thank you all for sharing and opening our eyes to new possibilities.

dyounyn

McDuell

After a long break, I recently started again with SC4 and RHW. While I had to relearn some stuff (and more important: learn about all the NEW things since the beginning of 2015), I'm glad that I seem to not have forgotten everything concerning the RHW.

My first stop after my SC4 reboot was, naturally, this interchange thread :D. Looking at some of all the fantastic work here and the possibilities that the newer NAM incarnations give, I feel like I missed quite a bit of development history (does that even make sense?). Anyway, you'll have to bear with me again :D.

I couldn't help but try to shrink the footprint off Wiimeiser's interchange. But then APSMS beat me to it, and with a great solution as well! :) I'll show my variant anyway as it differs a little from APSMS' version:

As overlay for direct comparison. The overlay is at a different zoom level, that's why the branches don't exactly match and disregard the codes; I used them to determine the displacement of the branches).

IC_Wiimeiser_Overlay1

As for the cloverleaves: I still technically don't like them because of the traffic weaving, but they are easily built and don't use too much space if one doesn't need a high capacity. And I think that they look nice. Here is an especially small exemplar:

IC_Cloverleaf_small

Since NAM36 you can also build them diagonally as well without having to resort to the DOST technique:

With this last picture I'll show you a fully directional stack.

McDuell

(trying to be a bit more active again)
----------------
It's redundant, it's redundant. (R.E. Dundant)
----------------

art128

Well, it seems the master is back. :D
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

Gugu3