• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Ennedi plays Shosaloza

Started by Ennedi, August 25, 2007, 10:22:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ennedi

Hello my friends!

It is a fantastic experience for me to have such a great feedback. You write a lot of interesting things here and it is an excellent occasion to learn something - not only about SC4, but also about other people and their way of thinking :thumbsup:

Filasimo: Thank you very much, I hope I will find something interesting for you in future :)
And now I'm thinking intensively about a good place for your great Mall - but it seems a few big cities should grow first ;D

Danthe: thank you Mariusz for your comments, they are as always constructive and useful :thumbsup:
I know the panorama is too small, next time I must make more pictures. My intention was to connect two ideas :)

thundercrack83: Thank you very much for your continous support! As for buildings on slopes - I still learn it ::)

Jmouse: Nice to see you again Joan, I also don't calculate everything! The best thing in beskhu3epnm maps and Cycledogg terrain mods is a great variety of forms and textures. You can experience a lot of surprises, and the only thing to do is some arrangement :)
I'm also a simple player, exactly as you, andtheoretical thinking is only a tool for me, not a goal ;)

Tarkus: Thank you Alex, the road building theme is closely connected to the terraforming and many of my experiments with slopes, perspective etc. are a kind of preparation to the engineering work in future :)
I am very curious how will work future versions of RHW and MIS, I have a lot of places to bulid them - but building in this region can be challenging ;D

bat: Thank you very much for your visit! :thumbsup:

tooheys: Hello Dave, I'm glad you like these pictures! As for vegetation - these are continous trials and errors, every time I try to make something else (mixing different kinds of flora) and I'm still not quite satisfied ::)

rooker1: Hello Robin, your explanation is very interesting for me! As for publishing pictures - you said many people don't think about their pictures, and if somebody will look at his/her picture for a while, he/she will achieve something. I think it is not quite true. It is an opinion of somebody who knows how to look at the picture. And If you want to know what is bad on your picture and what can be done to improve it, you must know some methods. You should have a key ;) or some of them. Writing about the perspective I wanted to show one of these keys (although it would be much better if it would be done by a professionalist).
Thank you very much for compliments, it is an interesting experience for me, I don't know drawing, painting, computer graphics and so on. Maybe I have found the right tool at last? :D
I must say I was not sure if it was good to make a comment to your bridge tutorial, I was a bit ashamed later &mmm. But when I make any comment, my only intention is to solve the problem. I don't use to think in terms "my opinion, your opinion" - and maybe it is sometimes not good. I simply look at the problem and try to do something with it. But thank you for permission, I hope we can do more working together :)

As for your grading system - oops, I must check all your answers in my threads and see my scores :D Anyway, great idea :thumbsup:

sebes: Thank you very much, and believe in yourself too! It seems every of us have something to share :thumbsup:

TheTeaCat: You didn't think about it because it was obvious for you ;D Thank you very much my friend - and what you said there is any bar here...?

Schulmanator: So take a plunge please!  :D Thank you for your visit!

beskhu3epnm: Hello Travis, thank you very much for your support!
No, it is not easy to make these images, and I haven't any mysterious methods. These are continous trials and errors, but I look for useful methods and important factors ;)
QuoteIt's a fine art, which is why you don't see MD's by me!

And what could I do without your map?!

patfirefghtr: Thank you Pat, of course I have some ideas what to do with the new PW, but even with the existing stuff we can play many years :D

Shadow Asassin: thank you! I would be very glad if my work would be close to the map maker's intentions. My intention is to remember about the original Shosaloza idea - "how to build as much as possible without destroying the landscape"

capo: Nice to see you here! Your pictures show you have some effective building and terraforming methods, it would be fascinating to show them in action ;D

jplumbley: I agree, I am thinking about some snow service in thes mountain villages, and I think it would be good not only make snow shelters, but also come "car - catchers" at the foot of this mountain - but I don't know if it would be realistic... :D

Today we go to Hakodate, the next small town in the Oshima district. There are a small port, Yacht Club and some other attractions here.
We cross the strait going through the Akashi Kaikyo Bridge...

...And turn to the center on the highway exit

Our first stop - the Ocean Basket, a nice restaurant and small hotel at the waterfront (great frutti di mare here ;D)

After some relax we go to the center. There is a fishing port, Yacht Club and ferry port here. Most of city life concentrates in the commercial alley placed on the pier:

A Steerman monument (O Homem do Leme)

Yacht Club and the ferry port:

I decided to mix the new PEG's CDK 3 set, CSX WFK Waterfront lots and some excellent Japanese lots (mostly made by Somy). What do you think?
Two more pictures of the port surrounding

Going along the seaside we see some small residentials. Japanese and Norwegian houses look quite good together, aren't they?

On the next few pictures youwill see the rocky seaside. I use the red-brown rock mod, so I can't use white or grey ploppable rock. The only way is to use green, moistured Jeronij's rocks and green Sorchin's rock. They look good at the seaside, but not with the Red-Brown Granite. So I decided to separate these two kinds of rock by grass and trees. I am curious about your opinion.
I must say it is my first serious experiment with Sorchin's rock. Badsim motivated me to do it ;) I think the next attempt can be better ;D

OK, let's go to the cape. There is a scenic lighthouse here.

When I saw this lighthouse (Phare de Gaspesie) first time, my first reaction was it was unrealistic. But when I saw images of the real lighhouse, I changed my opinion. Now I like it, and I think it is the only lighthouse wchich looks good on the general view.
Look at these images

And at the end - a view to the north

That's all for today :)

I have a lot of work in RL now. I'm afraid I will have to make smaller udates, but I will try to make something at least once a week.

Next week I would like to start a side theme: Terrain Mods Gallery. I am very curious if it would be interesting for you.

Cheers
Adam

New Horizons Productions
Berethor - beskhu3epnm - blade2k5 - dmscopio - dedgren - Emilin - Ennedi
jplumbley - moganite - M4346 - nichter85 - papab2000 - Shadow Assassin - Tarkus - wouanagaine

capo

Quote from: Ennedi on October 09, 2007, 11:27:07 AM
On the next few pictures youwill see the rocky seaside. I use the red-brown rock mod, so I can't use white or grey ploppable rock. The only way is to use green, moistured Jeronij's rocks and green Sorchin's rock. They look good at the seaside, but not with the Red-Brown Granite. So I decided to separate these two kinds of rock by grass and trees. I am curious about your opinion.

My opinion? My opinion is that it look absolutely amazing. I love the way the colours seem to blend in eachother, the way you handled the build of the shore with rocks and trees. The green colour of the seashore rocks look very realistic, I like it a lot. I don't have them in my plugins folder....yet :) Next stop for me is the LEX!

When I saw this lighthouse (Phare de Gaspesie) first time, my first reaction was it was unrealistic. But when I saw images of the real lighhouse, I changed my opinion. Now I like it, and I think it is the only lighthouse wchich looks good on the general view.

To be honest, it still looks a bit strange in my humble opinion. It reminds me a bit of one of those pawns you see in boardgames a lot. I agree with you that it does look similar to the original, however this is a little bit too much red I feel. The landscape it's situated in is absolutely stunning though!

Next week I would like to start a side theme: Terrain Mods Gallery. I am very curious if it would be interesting for you.

Ofcourse that looks interesting, Im real curious about the different terrain mods you use.

Amazing update Ennedi, I love that pic of the toll booth. Only thing that worries me is that roadraging citizens with SUV's might see those roads as a quick escape of those booths! They might have to dodge a tree or two, but then it's a quick drive back to the highway past the tollbooths.

I'd love to stay one night at the Ocean Basket and try its frutti di mare. It looks great and I can only imagine the view from the room window..it's not that expensive I hope?

The complete history of Evergem ->My Mayor Diary <-
Come and visit Paroch Plein!

Yoman

One of the best fishing ports Ive ever seen :) A very nice application of PEG's new lots. It adds alot that the town is located just near the bridge as well. I look forward to tasting the catch of the day :P

Pat

Adam my friend im totaly impressed here by this update wow!!!!  I love that lighthouse you used it gives a good focal point in the pics with the it in them... My hats off to you for this update and i look forward to the next one even though it may be awhile - pat

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

thundercrack83

Very impressive! That lighthouse and the peninsula that it is on are absolutely beautiful and I love the port and bridge, too! By the way, where can I find that tollbooth? I've been looking for it for a while. Great work, my friend! I'll be looking forward to seeing more!

Shadow Assassin

Mmm, very nice work here.

It's so quiet and relaxing.
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
See my uploads on the LEX!

Tarkus

Adam, this is just a phenomenal update. :thumbsup:  It's hard to find words to describe it.  That whole waterfront area, the town, the fishing port, everything looks fantastic.  I really am quite fond of Pegasus' newest creations, like that yacht club, and you've put them to good use.  The bright red lighthouse is also a nice touch.  It also looks like you've put some of the newer features from the last couple NAMs and the SAM to excellent use as well. :)

Hope RL treats you well, and I'm looking forward to seeing the terrain mod gallery.  It sounds like a very interesting idea to me.

Best,
Alex (Tarkus)

figui

nice update!
beautiful places as always :thumbsup: and that second pic of the lighthouse is great.
first forums inhabitant from Uruguay..   first forums citizen from Uruguay..  first forums councilman from Uruguay..   first forums mayor from Uruguay..  first forums governor from Uruguay..
...i'm still the only one from Uruguay!

________

jmyers2043

I tried to play Shosaloza. I stared at the map and my mind went blank. I get soooo many ideas from looking at your pictures.

I like what you did along the coastline. First - the wharf areas. You've got fishing industry, recreational boating, commerce (in the way of restaurants) ... everything. It is a good thing that you included a picture of the real life light house. My eyes bugged out  ()what() when I saw the in game picture of the red light house but then it all made sense as I continued to scroll.

You are an excellent city builder.
Jim Myers  (5th member of SC4 Devotion)

bat

A very nice looking town there! Great update! And wonderful looking highway exit! :thumbsup:

Jmouse

Terrific update, Ennedi! :thumbsup:
I especially like the SC4 photo right before the RL lighthouse. It really shows off the natural look of the coastline. It must have taken quite a while to achieve that effect.
Your port looks great as well -- very nicely arranged. And BTW, I'll have the baked flounder, please.

Until next time...
Joan

Asimov

And he did it again...
Wonderful pictures, a very interesting compilation of BAT's you're using there.
One suggestion though: The Road to that beautiful Lighthouse looks a bit unrealistic on these pictures, you should add some curves and serpentines there.

meldolion

wow! Those are amazing updates!!! I really like your way to develop areas :)

Thanks!!

rooker1

rooker1: Hello Robin, your explanation is very interesting for me! As for publishing pictures - you said many people don't think about their pictures, and if somebody will look at his/her picture for a while, he/she will achieve something. I think it is not quite true. It is an opinion of somebody who knows how to look at the picture. And If you want to know what is bad on your picture and what can be done to improve it, you must know some methods. You should have a key ;) or some of them. Writing about the perspective I wanted to show one of these keys (although it would be much better if it would be done by a professionalist).
Thank you very much for compliments, it is an interesting experience for me, I don't know drawing, painting, computer graphics and so on. Maybe I have found the right tool at last? :D
I must say I was not sure if it was good to make a comment to your bridge tutorial, I was a bit ashamed later &mmm. But when I make any comment, my only intention is to solve the problem. I don't use to think in terms "my opinion, your opinion" - and maybe it is sometimes not good. I simply look at the problem and try to do something with it. But thank you for permission, I hope we can do more working together :)

As for your grading system - oops, I must check all your answers in my threads and see my scores :D Anyway, great idea :thumbsup:

I have read your reply to me over and over again a few times and also gone back to my last comment here in your MD as well as my MD right after the bridge tutorial.  Just to make sure I haven't missed anything.  I can agree with of what you said.  Maybe it is just my opinion, and maybe I do anylize the picture too much as a person who might know how to.  Not to say I actually do know how to, but I like to emphasize that it is just my opinion so I don't really offend anyone.  But to offer what I think is some guidance as to what I would do or think of the situation.  I enjoy reading your point of view, always.  Don't change that no matter what, I appreciate it for sure.
As for your perspective update, you surely did offer at least a few keys.  And I'm sure a lot of people have a different point of view now because of it.
No need to feel ashamed at all.  I took what you said as a learning tool and I will try everything you suggested for myself and see if it works for me.  I don't ever pretend to know everything, because I don't.  Some of the things you suggested I didn't know how to do until you mentioned it.  So for that I THANK YOU very much.
I also look forward to more conversing and the opportunity to work together sounds very intriguing.
When it comes to the grading system, don't worry you are doing quite well, my friend.

Now, let's talk about this last update. 
Picture one is fantastic, I love it.  It has the three levels needed for a perfect picture.  The peak of the mountain as the foreground is a very nice touch.  &apls &apls &apls
Picture two, I don't like, only because of the blue sky back ground.  I know there is nothing you can do about it.  I just don't like pictures where the edge of the map shows.  ;)
Picture three, love the idea of the highway on/off ramps and the tunnel under the toll both.  :thumbsup:
Picture four and five, very nice set up for a small port area.
Picture six to eleven, great, just great.  I really like Peg's new marina stuff.  I haven't the chance to use them yet.  But you have used them very well.  :thumbsup:
Picture twelve and on.  Great job on the shore line.  I really like your use of the Jeronij's green rocks and Sorchin's green rock, it all fits together perfectly.

Overall, super update my friend.

I can't wait until the terrain mod update.  I'm sure your view on that will be very interesting.

Also, I just wanted to mention the quote in my signature, I believe in it totally.  Thanks for using it, it means a lot.

&apls &apls &apls

Robin  :thumbsup:
Call me Robin, please.

tooheys

Adam, that is beautiful work. I like my infrastructure, and that third pic with the offramps, tollgates and underpass, just brilliant  &apls

The development around the shoreline is nicely done, but your zoomed-out shots are my favourites, the detail is exceptional and the pic's so realistic.  :thumbsup:

Can I ask you how long it takes you to put together an area like this?

Always looking forward to more.

Cheers

Dave

Schulmanator

Gotta say, it's a McDonald's moment... I'm lovin' it!
See the all-new National Capital Region!:http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=15118.0

ManuelR

The big bridge fits perfectly in the nature.  :) The port is really nice to see too. IMO the picture with the paystation is the best. These curved roads and the nice paystation are so realistic. :thumbsup:

threestooges

I would say more, but there is almost too much good stuff, even in your last post, to effectively say enough. I will focus on the port. The combination of the different styles really seems to add dimension to the port area. A sense of change over time, and a sense of it just being put together by whoever happened to use each particular spot. It reminds me a bit of the harbor in Santa Barbara, CA: a nice mix of an active commercial port, a tourist locale, and a marina. Out of curiousity, what is the little market in the bottom of the 9th pic (it's mostly off the edge of the pic)? I've seen it used elsewhere before, but no on eI have asked remembers exactly where they got it. Great update.

Danthe

Oh, it is beatiful Adam &apls Lighthouse surroundings looks great, it's some paceful and calm place. Flora and stones that You used, fantastic composed in base terrain. This is a one of best works that I saw whenever :thumbsup:
And I like yours "hand made" highway interchanges too, it's very realistic.

Pzdr. Mariusz

KACP3R

&apls It's my first post on the SC4Dev, and I am fascinated for your work! Congratulations Adam; Greatest flora and stones which I looked. It's very good that in Poland We have so so professional and to be plain good players as you, as danthe...  :)

I'm sorry for my errors.

Pozdry Kacper