• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Ennedi plays Shosaloza

Started by Ennedi, August 25, 2007, 10:22:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ManuelR

Wow, this is one of the est rural updates I've ever seen. :thumbsup: &apls

szarkoz

This is just so amazing, Adam :shocked2:

I'm sorry that I won't go into details but I'm simply out of words to describe how beautiful was that update! Magnificent! I'm gonna cry... :'(
If you can't read my nick, just call me Tom.

Silur

Hi, Adam ...
Excellent work - I'm crazy with this ... :thumbsup: &apls &apls &apls

Ennedi

This is the last OSITM day in Shosaloza and I promised an update this week. Unfortunately I had too much RL work, so I can't show everything what I wanted to prepare. There will be only a few FAR roads today - but we will return to this theme soon!

But I have something to show and I hope you will like it  :)
As always

Sorry, I haven't much time today, so replies will be short  :)

Quote from: Nardo69 on May 28, 2008, 04:52:17 PM
A long time ago someone said on another site that I was one of the best rural players he knew.

Well, that was real along time ago, I guess I am really a rural pioneer but I wish my farms would look half as good as yours! (guess I should concentrate more on my railways and drive some teenagers crazy at the competition ...  :D )

I always wanted to have such natural looking greens in Sc4, I even lurked into Chris's thread and got the Betas but the results .. o well ...

Take care my friend and don't forget to make backups, I want to see more of these farm fields!

Bernhard  :thumbsup:

The biggest pleasure of playing with railways is (at least for me, but I suppose for you too!) is to build them in various environment - cities, villages, mountains and seashores. Your farmlands are beautiful, please continue creating them!  :thumbsup: We simply have more and more new stuff and more possibilities, so there is a lot of work for us to do!  ;)

Quote from: pvarcoe on May 28, 2008, 05:07:46 PM
Man o man Adam.

That is some of your best work yet.
Those are some of the best rural shots ever.
The amount of detailing is unbelievable, and has achieved the desired results IMHO.

Using the grass to smooth the diagonal edges on fields is a complete success.
The use of paths along field edges is really good too.
I'm not sure I would use it along all field edges, but certainly many.

Again, just stellar work.

Phil

Hello Phil, I'm very glad you like these pictures, your landscaping skills are great so your opinion is very important for me! If some of my ideas will be useful for you - very good, and I'm sure I will learn from you many things in future too  :)

Quote from: mightygoose on May 28, 2008, 05:47:54 PM
epic work... trluy awe inspiring, nothing else needs saying....

Thank you very much, I cee you are my constant visitor now and I'm very glad of it!

Quote from: iamgoingtoeatyou on May 28, 2008, 05:58:10 PM
What game are you playing and where can I get myself a copy? It can't be Simcity 4, it's too good $%Grinno$%

Hehe, of course it's another game, you should go to Chrisadams' RRP thread and download it  :D

Quote from: kimcar on May 28, 2008, 06:47:42 PM
:oGeez ! This is so perfect . You are a true artist  &apls &apls &apls Thanks for our eyes Adam.  :thumbsup:

Thank you kimcar!

Quote from: Jmouse on May 28, 2008, 07:45:38 PM
Adam, the first photo brought tears of joy to my eyes, and by the time I got to the third one, I had the box of Kleenex on my lap!

Truly you are a pioneer and many will follow in your footsteps, but I cannot imagine any of them coming close to this kind of achievement! You see the same things as we do, but like a master artist, you see them in a slightly different way. Then somehow you're able to translate your vision into a thing of timeless beauty!

Your work brings much pleasure...
Joan

Hello Joan! I'm sure there will be some people who will create much better things  :D I want to see them as soon as possible, so I'm trying to help a bit... ;)
It's a great pleasure and satisfaction for me if I was really be able to make something pleasant for you  :)

Quote from: Chrisadams3997 on May 28, 2008, 09:28:14 PM
This must stop now.  You shouldn't torment us mere mortals with so many things we could never hope to achieve ourselves, lol.  As always, a great eye for the terrain, and how to vegetate it for that matter ;D.  Everything is stunning, so I'll jump right to the only thing that gives me a little pause, that being this picture that you'd asked for opinions on I noticed ;D:

So I'll give my opinions.  To stretch back to original intent, the two original flower models(the yellow and white) as well as what I call my scrub were developed based on what I saw in a number of overgrown pastures on a road trip to Dallas.  For the most part, a well stocked and maintained pasture will usually stay fairly short, though it depends on the type of grass in the stand.  For such situations I've found it best to leave it mostly just the normal grass texture, possibly with overgrown spots(due to spot grazing)-particularly farther away from sources of water and other gathering areas.

An unstocked or understocked pasture on the other hand would initially find itself grown in with taller grass and numerous weeds.  After several years of neglect or mismanagement, medium sized woody plants would be expected to start growing in.  This is all of course dependant on the environment in question and the plants native to the area.  What you show here doesn't give the impression of a pasture.  Partly because it would be expected that the area around the pasture would be more overgrown than the pasture, whereas you have it the other way around here.  To pull up an old picture, here's a case of my interpretation of using flora in pastures, here seeing a significant difference between a few well maintained areas, and one well overgrown.

Well, that's my two cents on the subject, lol.

Chris

Thank you very much Chris for your analysis! I must say it's a pleasure to work and to talk with you, I suppose we have often similar way of thinking  ;D
Of course you are right with this pasture. But what was my intention?
If i would make a fence using your set and then leave it as is, I would have exactly the same terrain texture on the pasture and outside of it:

And my intention was to make a pasture looking different than it's surrounding. If I would fill it by the ploppable pasture texture, I would have to hide it's edges near to fences, especially along curved parts. In addition I wouldn't be able to use your paths. So I tried something different. But as we see this experiment was failed, so I see two solutions:
1. Playing with original terrain mod textures (it will be difficult, it will need levelling the terrain inside the pasture and make it uneven outside of it), or
2. Arranging the pasture surrounding, ie. filling it by grass, trees etc.
I am sure we will continue our cooperation in your thread, there are more themes  :) I'm waiting for your ideas about culverts, this is the main reason I didn't create a stream or ditch in this village  ;) (and I must say i'm very impressed of your ploppable ditch. it is excellent!)
Thank you!

Quote from: catty on May 29, 2008, 12:06:57 AM
Those rural pictures are stunning  :thumbsup:

Are you taking Holiday Bookings, A couple of weeks there would set me up for the year  ()stsfd()
Tree to sit under, book, sandwiches, a cold drink and a really great view when you take a break from reading

My idea of Heaven

Hello Catty! Yes, this is my idea of Heaven too!  :D A room for you is booked in this nice place on the seashore which I will show today. I hope you will like both the service and the view  ;)

Quote from: ejc on May 29, 2008, 12:14:31 AM
damn

you make us not want to play sc4 anymore do you?
you are showing us how it can be done.. and so, we realise we just suck at the game!!
the way you present a rural area is just... no words
truly worthy you were in OSITM

please continue
E

Hehe, every of us make something slightly different and you are the best example of it  :D We can make something good only together!  :thumbsup:

Quote from: Simpson on May 29, 2008, 04:08:02 AM
Hello ;)
Your update is magnifical  &apls :thumbsup:
I love the street in the city (it's realistic) &apls &apls
The fields are beautiful too  &apls
It's will be my preferate city  $%Grinno$%

Thank you very much Simpson, I'm glad you like it!  :)

Quote from: bat on May 29, 2008, 07:52:15 AM
Beautiful rural area there! And fantastic work on that update! The pictures are excellent again!

Looking forward to the next great update...

It's always very nice to see you here bat! Thank you!  :thumbsup:

Quote from: vester on May 29, 2008, 08:36:24 AM
Just been looking at your last two updates. WoW.

Only one thing: Some water. Lakes and river would just but the dot over the i.

Hello Arne, thank you for your visit!
In fact I had no time to make streams here (no place for a serious river  ;D). But there is some water in this update, and you will see much more soon! (And trams too  ;D)

Quote from: rooker1 on May 29, 2008, 09:10:53 AM
This is a fantastic update.  I am really impreesed at how well you have used Chris' grass,flowers and paths.
This type of city building hasn't been of interest to me for quite some time.  But after looking at this update, I may change my mind.
Everything looks so nice and I think I have spent about an hour going over the pics again and again.
I can't wai to see where that path leads to.
Robin  :thumbsup:

Thank you for your kind words Robin!
We can't do everything in the same time. You create beautiful seaports and I'm very curious of the final effect  ;) I am concentrated on developing big cities now and this village is a kind of relax for me. Maybe you will need the same one day?  :)

Quote from: ScottFTL on May 29, 2008, 10:14:37 AM
Thanks for the welcome, Adam.  I have been lurking and enjoying your work on Shosaloza for quite some time.   ;D

And many thanks for the update to the DJEM mods.  I wasn't expecting anything so quickly!

Now to the update... Your work with the farms and Chris' rural pieces is AMAZING!  I just finished building a farming community, and you have given me many ideas for improvements now.  I do agree that the grass mixed with shrubs and other flora makes a more realistic border.

I can't wait to see what you do with David's FAR pieces.

Thank you very much! You must wait a bit for FAR update - sorry, but I hope you will not need to wait very long  ;D I will be very glad if some of my pictures will help you to create your own farmfields  :thumbsup:

Quote from: Yoman on May 29, 2008, 03:20:22 PM
Hello Adam,

I have to say, that was one of my favorite updates ever from you. Mostly because of how much it inspired me! So many questions comments etc in this reply....ok lets start at the beginning :P

The small cow farm on the mountain side looks excellent. I wasn't aware that Chris released his fences and double track paths though? The shot after that with the small cut through the forest is just beautiful, with the grass coming out from the treeline and covered the edge, just great. The next few shots are just another great example of your incredible ability to work with flora.

Now comes your farm town, this has been the greatest source of inspiration in this update. As I was about to do some farms outside of Odessa. Your idea of hiding diagonal edges with the attack of the weeds is great. I was cutting back on the amount of diags I had in my farmland due to the ugly jagged edges, buy you've saved me from doing so! And in the process given me a hundred other ideas. On the second image, closeup of the diag section, may I ask what photoshop effects you are using? They look excellent. Your pasture, both with and without the flora looks incredible. That flora has proven so useful to me to make areas appear overgrown and abandoned (cough, old fighterbase cough) :P

Your combination of Chris's paths and flora and jeronij's flora along the outside of the farmland also looks excellent. I love both versions to be honest. What farmfield type is that in the lower right corner of this image? The paths in the vineyards and around the outside of the small field look incredible as well.

Alright, I have to go to dinner now, once again a great update though Adam :thumbsup:

Owen

Hello Owen! Thank you very much for such thoughtful and detailed comment!
These cows are Chris' creation, I received them at the first stage of testing RRP stuff a few months ago - but I didn't use RRP content till this time because Chris was absent and I didn't want to do it without his permission. Now we have the next testing stage and I use my MD to do it  ;D. I hope Chris will release these lots together with the rest.
Of course, some pastures can be abandoned, but I will try another solutions, see Chris'comment and my reply.
As for Photoshop effects: First of all I use layers extensively, I learned it not so much time ago. It is very useful, I can use various effects to separate layers and then adjust their strenght and merging mode. Second - this effect you like is from Xero Plugins set ( www.xero-graphics.co.uk ). This particular filter is called "Bad Dream"  :D
I will send you more information via PM.
This farmfield you ask is from BLS set (BLS Potatoes or BLS Tomatoes - I forgot to check it today, I will do it later).

Quote from: paroch on May 30, 2008, 03:24:22 PM
Hi Adam,

Wow, where to start on this great update.  I really wonder how you keep up the consistently great quality in you MD.  It is consistantly of such a high quality.
First up, the rural pics are great.  And where do I get Chris's grass and flowers?  Are they on general release?  I don't think I've seen them.
The second picture is just beautiful - really there is no other word for it  :thumbsup:

The farm fields look great too.  I always enjoy the way you show us your experiments.

And the paths along the edge of the fields are a great idea - very well done.

More new ground broken there Adam - what on EARTH can you come up with next??!!??

All the best,

Paul

Thank you Paul! All Chris' stuff is a beta version. You can download it from the RRP thread, Chris attached zips in last few posts. Of course I think Chris would be glad if everybody who downloads it would be so kind and test it and then to express his/her opinion in the RRP thread  :)
Don't expect too much Paul, every of us has better and worse moments, I'm not sure if anybody will like my next pictures... ;)

Quote from: TheTeaCat on May 31, 2008, 01:11:19 AM
Adam

Here you go again. Making the rest of us gape at some of your best work IMO so far. I have been waiting to see how you would
tackle rural areas and I am glad to see that its even better than I anticipated :thumbsup:

You seem to have a knack/skill/eye for detail that I would pay dearly for :D :D
will this cuppa do for payment?

The first and second pics are without a doubt my favourites

I really hope you enjoyed your month in OSITM as I did, and thanks for sharing such wonderful pictures, hints, tips, and
more thoughts and experiments with us. I learn so much about this game from you and you force me to challenge my skills
with the game all the more - thanks for that as it makes the game more enjoyable as I try new ideas or just to improve my cities.

until the next time
regards

Derry

Hello Derry! Thank you very much for the cuppa!  :thumbsup: If you like this village, come and stay for a while, there are a lot of nice empty roads here, they are excellent to bicycle riding  ;D
I'm very glad you like these forest pictures. I will try to prepare more for you  :)

Quote from: ManuelR on May 31, 2008, 03:30:17 AM
Wow, this is one of the est rural updates I've ever seen. :thumbsup: &apls

Thank you Manuel!  :thumbsup:

Quote from: szarkoz on May 31, 2008, 12:15:00 PM
This is just so amazing, Adam :shocked2:

I'm sorry that I won't go into details but I'm simply out of words to describe how beautiful was that update! Magnificent! I'm gonna cry... :'(

Hello szarkoz, I'm very glad you like these pictures, I'm waiting for yours  :) :thumbsup:

Quote from: Silur on May 31, 2008, 12:29:18 PM
Hi, Adam ...
Excellent work - I'm crazy with this ... :thumbsup: &apls &apls &apls

Thank you Silur, I'm glad you visited me again!

At the beginning I would like to ask everybody who downloaded the Diagonal Jagged Edges Mod: if you have any comments, problems, suggestions etc., please inform me during next two weeks. I'm going to release this mod in the LEX at 15th June. Thank you!

Now to the update.
This little village I showed last time and I will show today is called Aprica. Long time ago I went with my wife from Cortina d'Ampezzo through Dolomites, Bolzano, Paso del Tonale and shortly before midnight we stayed at the little mountain hotel "Gabi" near Simplon Pass. It was a beautiful day. Northern Italy is a truly wonderful area, I remember old small villages, fields and vineyards. Aprica is one of villages lying on this route, of course it looks a bit different  :)

Aprica is an old village. Vineyards, orchards and flower fields are rather small and they are grouped close to farms. Larger fields and pastures are located on the open area, in fact farmers use every less steep space in the valley  :)
Here is an old village center. You can see here residential buildings, a small church and a market (thank you Heblem! :thumbsup:)

The second group of buildings: a restaurant (you can buy quite good local vines here  ;)), a few shops, farming machinery services, animal doctor, some newer houses and (very important) the rum distillery  ;D

There are also some farms located outside of the center:

At the end of my last update I showed a path "leading to a nice place". Here is another end of this path.

Our OSITM tour ends at this point. But of course the tour around Shosaloza doesn't end, it will be continued soon.

I hope you had some relax and pleasure visiting Shosaloza this month.
Thank you!
New Horizons Productions
Berethor - beskhu3epnm - blade2k5 - dmscopio - dedgren - Emilin - Ennedi
jplumbley - moganite - M4346 - nichter85 - papab2000 - Shadow Assassin - Tarkus - wouanagaine

Nardo69

Now this is again big art, Paul, with FAR & RRP!

I love how they all fit together, my problem with the smooth curves is that the missing base textures is just always to bee seen but you really succeeded in integrating them!

And I can stop looking at that FAR road, just WOW!

Take care and don't forget to make backups!

Bernhard  :thumbsup:

threestooges

Are you sure this is going to be the end of the OSITM? They may just hold this one over for next month. I'm curious to know, do you have a background in art? Each of your pics is very well thought out and has such detail to it. One could look at them repeatedly and find something new every time. I'm guessing there is some sort of photoshopping to the pics (I think) but if there is, I would be interested in seeing the regular version of one or two of them. I can't compliment you enough on the work you have done creating the various mods and all the work you have put into this, but I will certainly be keeping an eye out for the next update. Great work.
-Matt

-Edit- Since it is official, let me add a bit to the above by saying: Congratulations on the induction to the Hall of Fame.

mightygoose

well jeeze, when you compare shots like this to shots of vanilla sc4, even the best of it, there is no comparison....

if i were in your presence i would give you a standing ovation....

although if i had to find fault, some of the farms are abit small.
NAM + CAM + RAM + SAM, that's how I roll....

Jmouse

Adam, I am sorry to see your second round in OSITM end - time really does fly when we're having fun! :D You know I've been a loyal fan since the first snow-capped mountains appeared, but I had no idea what wonderful things were in store for us mere mortals! ;D

Your work with light and shadows, slopes, FAR, RRP and a host of other innovations has helped elevate the game to an art form. The rural settings are beautiful and the cliffs are much closer to perfection than I'd have ever thought possible in a video game.

It is, indeed, a sunny afternoon at the village, and I thank you kindly for letting me stroll down the paths and admire the beauty.

Later...
Joan

nerdly_dood

Thisi is indeed an excellent MD.  I should mention that there is an installer on the LEX for the Euro Road Mod, and it includes the road intersection textures for the Street Addon Mod.  Also, on the STEX, there is a set of better-looking Euro long road curves.

The FAR mod isn't nearly complete of course, so it may be a while before Euro textures are made for it.

Overall, I like your MD.  It certainly doesn't look a thing like rural areas around where I live, but I still love it ;D
My days here are numbered. It's been great and I've had a lot of fun, but I've moved on to bigger and better things.
—   EGO  VOBIS  VADELICO   —
Glory be unto the modder and unto the fun and unto the city game!

thundercrack83

Well, Adam, what can I say? You've given new meaning to the term "Of Special Interest This Month."

Your work continues to be a source of inspiration and knowledge that I don't think many can replicate, let alone surpass! And that's why, when your time in OSITM ends, this MD will be going to it's truly rightful place, the SC4D MD Hall of Fame!

"Excelllent," "outstanding," and even "extraordinary" don't describe your work--"Genius" scratches the surface.

Dustin

catty

Congratulations on making into the SC4D MD Hall of Fame your MD is stunning and its very well deserved  &apls
I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?" DEATH thought about it. "CATS," he said eventually, "CATS ARE NICE.

JoeST

Looking awesome as ever :)

you are definatly one of the greatest MD's around

you truly deserve being an OSITM nearly every month ;)

Joe
Copperminds and Cuddleswarms

paroch

Hi Adam,

Well, in my opinion youhave made fantastic use of your time in OSITM.  It has been a pleasure to see your updates.

And the quality of your MD draws so many comments that I can imagine how long it must take you just to answer each poster's comments - and believe me your answers are very much appreciated.

And for this update, well, again you deliver so much.
You have a habit of opening an update with a picture that is a real show-stopper, and you've done it again  :o .  How can anyone look at that and not be impressed.  And when you look a second and third time you spot the little details that add to the overall effect.  The TV antannea, that church, the garden of the villa - all great details.  And for course the FAR is used to brilliant effect.

Aprica is a beautiful village, love the greenhouses and the market is just lovely.

Both those pics are HoF quality, in my opinion and I've not even scrolled down yet!

The closer look at Aprica shows just how well you've put it togehter and the modern petrol station in amongst the old mediterranean buildings just goes to show that Shosazola planning laws need to be tightened!  It doesn't sit with the aesthetics of the village, but you just know that in RL that sort of contrast does happen, so I don't like it but I love it at the same time  ::)

The market place is great, very rural hustle bustl feel to it.  And I've not seen them before so am assuming they're a special edition??

And your farms are a delight to the eyes as well.  The vines and flower fields are my favourites.

BRAVO Adam, you've just shown us (again) why Shosazola has been voted into the MD Hall of Fame &apls &apls &apls

Paul

bat

Wonderful work with that stuff there! Excellent town and pictures of it, Ennedi!

Great work!

Looking forward to the first update after your OSITM time...

Simpson

Wow your update is so good &apls &apls
It's so realistic  :thumbsup:
The village is magnifical &apls &apls
It's the best city with Antigone of Dévotion  ;)

But I have a comment: you use the european mod for the road and sometimes the curves of the nam is yellow it's pity maybe you must download a mod for to have white lines and no yellow  ;)
My new city is now here
The région of Kaikoura

Teaser of Lopsas[+ How did I do it?]:Lopsas

TheTeaCat

I can feel it now, the wind in my hair, tearing down the hills on my bike, through all those wonderful smelling fields
heading towards the village for a nice refreshing cuppa :D :D

What a most magnificent way to finish out your month in OSITM and now heading off to take your rightful place in the
SC4Devotion MD Hall of Fame.  &apls &apls

What new stuff will you show next? who cares but whatever it is it will achieve the same effect. Lots of replies just marveling
at how you can produce such stunning work &apls

Until the next eagerly anticipated update

regards
Derry
Kettle's on. Milk? Sugars?    ps I don't like Earl Grey  $%Grinno$%
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle - If you're not part of the solution , you're part of the problem!
"Never knock on Death's door: Ring the bell and run away! Death really hates that!"
Tales at TeaTime      Now A proper NUT      TTC plays GRV II

thundercrack83

Congratulations, Adam (Ennedi)!

Ennedi Plays Shosaloza has officially been inducted into the SC4Devotion Mayors' Diary Hall of Fame!

You have earned this honor, my friend. Enjoy it!

- The SC4Devotion MD Hall of Fame Committee

kimcar

&apls :thumbsup: &apls Wow I`m very happy for you Adam . It`s very well deserve and we know that you worked hard for had this result . Keep your excellent work for us mate. :thumbsup:

bat

&apls Congrats on your award, Ennedi!!!  &apls

Heblem

Ennedi, I really do liked you last update, was soo beautiful, i don't know how you do it, you're a master on farm areas and details. My only suggestion is the night pics, i don't know but there are no power in that towns  $%Grinno$% look if you have the bldgprop_vol1 and bldgprop_vol2 at your plugins folder (not sub-folders) also make sure that you're running original disk of simcity 4 without a no cd ;)

And let me congratulate you for the position on the MD Hall of Fame!! of course you deserve it!! Until next time  :thumbsup:

Eblem