• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Ennedi plays Shosaloza

Started by Ennedi, August 25, 2007, 10:22:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ennedi

Thank you Robin!

Yes, there is a property "MaxHtDiffBetweenLandBridgeEnds" in the network placement tuning parameters exemplar (each network has it's own).
This property value is a maximum height difference allowed between two land bridge ends (I think it also enables the height difference between water bridge ends). This value is set to 20 meters in existing slope mods (default Maxis is the same I think). I didn't increase it in my mod, but I want to do it.
The bridge surface is always horizontal of course, but - for instance - if you start from the flat surface on the one end, go to another end and the game shows that you can build a bridge, it is good to have bigger height difference allowed. in this case you have more posiibility to adjust the bridge level using the slider in the bridge window.
If you have different heights on both bridge ends, you must of course level some network on at least one bridge side. It would be better to show it on pictures, but maybe later - I have no time at this moment  :)
Placing bridges (especially land bridges) depends on more properties, now I'm experimenting to make it easier and to find clear principles for it.

Now I'm building two big cities, but they grow slowly - sorry, maybe I have too much to do in the same time? But I will try to show some progress as soon as possible.

Adam  :thumbsup:
New Horizons Productions
Berethor - beskhu3epnm - blade2k5 - dmscopio - dedgren - Emilin - Ennedi
jplumbley - moganite - M4346 - nichter85 - papab2000 - Shadow Assassin - Tarkus - wouanagaine

rooker1

This is perfect, it sounds like we are talking about the same thing.  I can't wait to see your tests and some pics on this.  Thanks in advance.  I can see some very neat possiblities if you can change this successfully.

Robin  :thumbsup:
Call me Robin, please.

paroch

Hi Adam,

It's taken me a while to see your update.  As you know, I've not been with your MD from the start, so the coastline and lighthouse pics are new for me - STUNNING. 

I'm glad you've decided to continue to show your modding work in your MD - you are gith, it sits so well when you can see the effect your work has on your region.

And your work with the ripples and waves is another good one.  Now, I've never played with any of the game "properties"..... I'm kinda scared that I will mess something up and crash the whoe game.  But your wave competition intrigues me.  If I can get some free time in between my own MD and new lot attempts then I'll have a play.

Paul

Shadow Assassin

Placing bridges (especially land bridges) depends on more properties, now I'm experimenting to make it easier and to find clear principles for it.

I managed to make land bridges quite easily with a few adjustments to the Slope Tuning parameters, I think I've still got the mod floating around somewhere.
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
See my uploads on the LEX!

amapper

Your shoreline views are simply magnificent. I can almost hear the surf and smell the moss. Great job with everything.  :thumbsup:

nedalezz

I think you should just get it over with and create your own game! I mean, wow. Where do you get this stuff, Ennedi!

Your ripples look amazing except for when they were next to the seaport, much better than the ingame ones. The way they look on the beach is picture perfect. By the way, which water mod do you use?

Pat

Adam Im sitting and waiting patiently for the new bigger cities to show up!!

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

bat

Also looking forward to the two new big cities!! ;)

tkirch

WOW!  I am gone and you fixed the ripples.  You are the first one to discover this, this is great.  Can you believe SC4 has been out this long and we still find new things to make it better.  Just great!

TheTeaCat

Adam,

I've missed many updates for which I 've not commented on. Truely you are breaking new ground what with your new slope mod and then by fixing the ripples in the game.

Just by discovering that it can be changed you have added your name to an illustrious list of people who have changed the face of the game completely.  &apls &apls &apls

A very well deserved cuppa is on the way to you now :thumbsup:

Please continue to astound me with this most wonderful MD.

regards
Derry
Kettle's on. Milk? Sugars?    ps I don't like Earl Grey  $%Grinno$%
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle - If you're not part of the solution , you're part of the problem!
"Never knock on Death's door: Ring the bell and run away! Death really hates that!"
Tales at TeaTime      Now A proper NUT      TTC plays GRV II

Tarkus

Adam, this is all just fantastic, amazing stuff as always here.  I finally got the chance to mess around with your new slope mod (I just started using the "Smooth" version), and while it is a bit challenging to use at times, the end results are well worth the effort. :thumbsup:  I was just laying down an RHW earlier tonight with it, and the elevation change was just seamless.  This saves me from the old "lay Rail first" method I had been using, which was quite time-consuming difficult to do on diagonals, so for that, you have my eternal gratitude.

And this new water ripple project you've undertaken here is just amazing as well. 

Congrats on becoming a member of NHP, too.  It's really great to have you on board. :)

-Alex

beskhu3epnm

Editing slope mods was one thing I undertook briefly about 3 months ago. I set the values very conservatively, as I prefer a realistic slope angle for roadways.

The things you have discovered in slope modding is beyond what I thought possible! I hope to someday see a public release of this for the entire community.

I really enjoy the smooth transition, as that is how they would design it in the real world.

Once again, Adam, you are an innovator... constantly finding ways to improve the game we all enjoy - several years after it's release... Amazing!

http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?board=79.0
New Horizons Productions Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio dedgren ♦ Ennedi ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite M4346 ♦ Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine

mightygoose

your slope mod the extreme one, the NAM and a river that bent in the wrong place.... led to quite amusing results....

EDIT: btw.... to avoid your rollercoaster road problem i drag with rail then demolish
NAM + CAM + RAM + SAM, that's how I roll....

JoeST

amusing? dont you mean amazing
Copperminds and Cuddleswarms

SHABINDIGO

Its a little off topic, but could anyone possible tell me where can I find the underpass shown in this picture. http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/8181/b1pdeximpzf8.jpg

Ennedi

Quote from: SHABINDIGO on February 15, 2008, 11:38:31 AM
Its a little off topic, but could anyone possible tell me where can I find the underpass shown in this picture. http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/8181/b1pdeximpzf8.jpg

This is a buddybud underpass. It was uploaded together with one of the "Rural Sunken Highway Walls" sets. There are a few of them, I don't remember which one includes this underpass.
Go to the STEX in Simtropolis and type "buddybud" into the search window. Then find Rural Sunken Highway Walls and download them all (btw these are very good walls!  :thumbsup:)

Edit: To all - sorry for such long absence, a little update this weekend  :)
New Horizons Productions
jplumbley - moganite - M4346 - nichter85 - papab2000 - Shadow Assassin - Tarkus - wouanagaine

SHABINDIGO

Are they actually transit enabled, or are they only cosmetic because if they are, that would solve a problem I've been having for a while with the interchanging of traffic.
P.S.: Thanks for getting back to me so quick.

thundercrack83

Quote from: Ennedi on February 15, 2008, 11:47:15 AM
Edit: To all - sorry for such long absence, a little update this weekend  :)

Not a problem, Adam! I'll definitely be looking forward to it, my friend!

Hope all is well!

Dustin

Ennedi

Quote from: SHABINDIGO on February 15, 2008, 12:21:17 PM
Are they actually transit enabled, or are they only cosmetic because if they are, that would solve a problem I've been having for a while with the interchanging of traffic.
P.S.: Thanks for getting back to me so quick.

These underpasses are of the same type as Big Dig pieces, ie. you should connect two tunnel entrances using subway. Such tunnel/underpass enables passenger traffic, but not freight traffic and utility vehicles.
New Horizons Productions

Ennedi

Hello my friends, welcome in Shosaloza again!  ;D

There wasn't any update from quite a long time (the last one - 25th December  :( )
A bit of explanation:
- I had a horrible amount of RL work all November and December. January wasn't much better too  $%Grinno$%
- I had too much SC4 work in the same time. I was going to finish the slope mod, I started to help with the SC4 Encyclopaedia (this theme will be continued soon!), there are also some very interesting work to do in the NHP team (both NHP and BSC members invited me - thank you, I'm very glad and proud of it!  ()stsfd()). And I should also develop Shosaloza in the same time...  ;D
- I was ill and spent some time in the hospital (now everything is OK, I hope my health will not limit my activity in future...)

But now I'm feeling well, the slope mod is finished and uploaded and I can to return to Shosaloza. I'm very glad of it, this is my important place to meet friends  ;)

Thank you very much all my visitors for your nice comments and opinions! I'm very sorry, I haven't enough time today to answer to all comments, but of course I will answer to everybody in future, exactly as I did it earlier  :)

My time was very limited last few weeks and the Shosaloza development was very slow, but something grows here and there... ;D
My current project is the main city of the region - Malecon (I will explain this name next time). It will be a large city on slopes, with a river, a seaport and complicated transit network system. It will be very challenging an it seems I will spend a lot of time with it  ;D
In my last update I showed you some roadworks in this city. Now a bit more roads  ;)

I showed this road in my last update yet. But I wasn't quite satisfied and I rebuilt it.

Now an island. Dave (tooheys) said some time ago:

QuoteImpressive road networks although you do have me intrigued with the roundabout on the island.

OK Dave, I will show you what is this roundabout for  :D

There will be a container terminal, marinas and other seaport stuff at both riversides, but I looked for a special place for a ferry port - and I found it  ;D
(Of course it will be a functioning ferry port in the city too, this one is only a landmark)

Now we go to the west side of the river. We can see even more roads and...

...A castle!  ;D
(The slope behind the castle is too steep to draw a road/avenue directly from the valley. I had to make a loop to decrease the grade.
And this road bridge over the avenue is Lars' (Praiodan) new model, which is not released yet. I'm testing it now. Lars, there is some work with it to do, but it is a fantastic idea!  &apls I love it!  ;D)
OK, let's look at the castle

The castle surrounding will be maybe rebuilt, I'm not quite satisfied... ;)

I would like to add that I'm constantly making experiments with two things:
- Photoshopping
- placing forests.
As for photoshopping, I agree with these of you who say that photoshopping is nothing without a good picture. I also like "real" SC4 pictures. But SC4 + Photoshop = completely new possibilities and another piece of art  ;) ; so I'm going to show you in future both "raw SC4" and photoshopped images (a bit of contrast or saturation improvement is always useful, but it can be practically invisible - so my raw pictures are in fact 99% raw ones  :D)
As for forests - it's a complicated theme, maybe in a few months I will be able to show you something similar as with terrain mods, but with flora?  :)

So, If you like or don't like anything - please inform me, I will make use of your opinions!

Next update soon
Adam  :thumbsup:
New Horizons Productions