• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Starting to build a new city in a blank region from scratch

Started by MyFlagshipCity, July 01, 2017, 09:25:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MyFlagshipCity

I have SC4D on Steam with Windows 10 that I never played with for a while. In the past, I would start a new city by placing a power plant, creating a few roads and zones. Despite what I read online, it doesn't help me with the RCI meter. I'm still stuck. Either I'll overestimate what will build by zoning a lot of it, and the RCI bar will go completely below the threshold, and I get screwed. In fact, I have problems with learning how to grow a city once the very beginning stage is over. Also what else is hard is doing both laying out your zones or roads in a certain way and making sure your city is growing, and services are provided all at once. I don't feel like I can even multitask. Is there a way I can develop multitasking?

mgb204

Sounds to me like you just need to slow down and build less quickly. SC4 is a reactive game, but some things you do take a while before the effects become obvious. So if you zone massive swathes of something in one go, you'll soon be overwhelmed. The game needs but a light touch to keep things growing at first. It should also be noted that your city is not expected to have all services in the beginning. Power is a must, but water, education, police, health and many others are very much optional. If you try to build services too quickly, you'll likely end up with problems juggling it all.

So to start with you have a choice of farms or heavy/dirty industry for jobs, residents to work there and a tiny amount of demand for shops (C$) will come when the R/I stuff gets going. All of this will be supported by R$ sims for the most part, which do not require a nice place to live. As you progress, I-M demand, along with C$$ comes along, bringing a need for higher wealth sims. Much later if you get things right, I-HT demand will occur, along with CO$$/$$$ and CS$$$, which triggers the demand for a sustainable population of R$$$ sims. But that process takes a long time, you can force it, but you will have to fight the game to do so.

Can't multitask? No problem, pause the game and do things one at a time. But without patience, you will struggle with a game such as this. Everything you need to know about making cities work is covered by the in-game tutorials, I highly recommend going through each and taking on board their wisdom.