• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Bring Back the Fresh Water Feature

Started by ChiefZDN, February 24, 2017, 11:52:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChiefZDN

Hello modders,

OK, as we know, there is 'Fresh Water' in SimCity 4. However, due to some reason, it's disabled. I accidentally founded a topic in the Simtropolis (sorry for mention other forum, I think it's not breaking the rules) that the water source used by the water pump/tower can be changed by changing a property. However, I don't know what the property. So, I need your knowledge to accomplish this project. This project is useful especially for making SC4 more realistic.

Thank you.

mgb204

Far be it for me to dampen your enthusiasm for modding... but if you think enabling the water table and it's functionality is as simple as switching it on, you are mistaken.

It's long been known that some sort of water table and related functionality was probably planned, but like many features hidden in the code, it was not finished and disabled for release. This particular problem has been tackled before by some of the greatest modders such as Xannepann, but alas, we're no closer to utilising this feature. You are of course welcome to try, but in all likelihood there isn't sufficient code to make this function properly.

Andreas

Since you were talking about the "Water Source" property in the water pump/water tower lots, there's hardly any magic behind either. The default value for that property is "0x02 = Aquifer", other possible options are "0x01 = Salt Water" and "0x00 = Fresh Water". As mgb201 said, there were plans to include such things into SC4, but they never made it in the final version, although previous SimCity games had both salt water (and desalination plants) and fresh water (above sea level), which had a positive effect on the water pumps. I doubt using any of the other two settings enables the plant to produce water, though, but feel free to modify the property and see what happens.
Andreas