• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

menu problem

Started by SIM1966, February 07, 2017, 04:55:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SIM1966

hi guys,

Attached is a picture of the menu that i have a problem with, does anyone know how to fix this?

As always Many Thanks in advance.

Ian.

twalsh102

Ian,
While obviously there is a problem, it is not with the menu per se, nor with the game.

Every item on the menu is reliant on the Building exemplar for that lot to provide information for display in the menu.  Usually there are two pieces of information that are displayed:  Building name and description.

The Building Name may exist in several possible locations: Exemplar Name property, which is overridden by the Item Name property, which is overridden by the Item Visible Name Key property (in which case there is a separate LTEXT file included).  If any of the latter properties exist, each succeeding property supersedes any information in the properties preceding it.  Neither the Item Name or Item Visible Name Key properties are mandatory.

The Description (if it exists) can likewise be found in either the Item Description property, or the Item Description Key (in which case there is a separate LTEXT file included).  The information in the latter will supersede the information in the former if both exist.  Neither of these properties are mandatory.

The information values for these properties won't necessarily match the information in related properties

So my guess is that whichever building this is has both Item Name and Item Description properties with the values you see in the menu (you can get some funky information in these properties sometimes).

There is only one way to fix this, and it might be fairly easy or very difficult, depending on whether you recognize the name of the Lot from the image.  You have to edit (or delete) the appropriate properties in the Building exemplar in question using Reader, or some other utility that will let you edit Exemplar properties.

The problem will be identifying the exemplar to edit if you don't recognize it.  There is no easy way to do this, especially since it could literally be anywhere in your Plugins folder (despite showing up in the Landmark menu).  It could be an RCI building that also includes a LM version in the download.  It could be an example lot in some prop pack.  There isn't sufficient definition in the image you posted for me to identify what it is (this is often the case even on one's own screen), but maybe someone else will recognize it.

You will most likely end up doing a binary search to figure this out.  I would recommend doing so on a blank city tile to prevent any possibility of messing up an existing city.  Let us know if you don't now how to go about any part of doing this.

Good Luck.