• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Reddonquixote's Melbourne BAT Thread

Started by reddonquixote, April 05, 2015, 05:52:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

art128

Nice again... Thanks for these buildings. I will be using 520 Collins, 470 Collins and Custom's House.
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

CT14

2x2 RDQ Victorian Train Station lot.

I'm really digging the ivy and other touches including all 4 sides detailed.

Same goes for the RDQ Heritage Cottages on a 3x2 R$ growable - not being limited to W2W placement.

korver

Awesome, thanks so much for sharing this. Just had a chance to look through it and I can't wait to put it to good use :)

However, I did notice a couple of rendering glitches in a couple of the props, both in the MN and DN versions. Tree_01, tree_03, tree_11, traffic_light_02, traffic_light_04, and pavement_grate all display odd behavior at Z4 - like getting squashed into the ground, showing a red bar across them, or disappearing completely.

reddonquixote

Thank you Korver for letting me know  :)

I tried my best to catch all the issues but some still slipped through.

I have updated the files on the LEX so anyone downloading from now on should get the fixed versions. For those that have already downloaded I've added just the fixed versions to my dropbox which you can access on this link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/04vtz9rol1pi1ds/RDQ_Props_Fixed.zip?dl=0 (You should delete and replace with these versions instead)

Please note, only the buildings have different DN/MN versions, all the other files are identical. If you have downloaded both versions and intend on keeping both, then you should only keep the Buildings DN and MN folders from both downloads, and delete the other files from one of the downloads.. if that makes sense  %confuso.

CT14 - those look amazing, thanks for sharing  :thumbsup: &apls &apls

Weixc - yes, I was discussing with Noah separately, I will shortly fix some of the textures on the aquarium, add nightlights and a more suitable LOD shape, and release separately. This was just an 'as-is' version. (I probably should have removed it tbh :) )

Everyone else, thank you for your comments, these props were a mammoth task to produce, I really appreciate you taking the time to comment  :thumbsup:
Pay heed to the tales of old wives. It may well be that they alone keep in memory what it was once needful for the wise to know.

reddonquixote

As mentioned, here's an updated version of the Aquarium, with night lights.

Pay heed to the tales of old wives. It may well be that they alone keep in memory what it was once needful for the wise to know.

belfastsocrates

This is very exciting! I'm really looking forward to playing with these, they'll fit in beautifully.

I have a very quick query though, the Victorian station posted earlier, is there a platform extension prop?
A unique nation fusing technological prowess and unparalleled grandeur

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination" - Oscar Wilde

Simmer2

Gorgeous building. &apls It deserves a custom made lot texture. Can't wait till you release it!

Nick
________________________________________________________________________________

reddonquixote

Belfastsocrates - Thanks! Unfortunately no, there's no additional platform prop to go with the Goathland Train Station. Those releases were just a couple of the completed buildings created for the Harry Potter Hogsmeade Train Station (aka. Goathland) which I still intend to finish. Here's the proto-map of the complete station out of interest...

Nick - Thankyou :) You have raised a good point, I really have no idea how to lot this building, I only usually do W2W, so I hadn't given it any thought. It sounds like I need an expert lotter to give me a hand... now where can I find an expert lotter???  ::)  ;)

In the pic below, I've added back in the additional ramp piece that accompanied the original model, I'd be interested to know thoughts on whether to include this or leave without? It's shaped to match the curve of river bank, but I think adding water would be too restrictive in it's use so have left that out and just kept the shape.

Ps. The resuscitation of these old models makes me think its time to publish another WiP list. I'll pull some pics together and we can see what else I've forgotten about.  $%Grinno$%

_Michael

Oh I'd include include the ramp. Looks amazing!

Simmer2

@reddonquixote Attach the ramp and please don't render any water with it. I have been told I can make a good reflective water texture on lots...... ;)

Nick
________________________________________________________________________________

MushyMushy

I'd leave the ramp on there (without water) because it looks nice. I can see several possibilities already. It's certainly very unique, and the night lighting looks cool.  :thumbsup:

belfastsocrates

Well that makes sense! I'll look forward to the station

I'd keep the ramp as well, adds depth to the building which is good given its role. Be interesting to see what Simmer could do with a water texture. That combined with some of your fountain jets could look fantastic.
A unique nation fusing technological prowess and unparalleled grandeur

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination" - Oscar Wilde

noahclem

Love the updated version of the Aquarium and had forgotten all about the Harry Potter Project--seems like potentially a lovely and unique station! And I'm even more curious about the WIP list  &hlp &hlp

While I love the sea wall, particularly for its graceful curve, I plan to use the aquarium adjacent to maxis water and thus would need the wall to extend downward for my purposes. I don't want to impose but I hope you'll release a version with walls able to work as maxis seawalls or one without the walls :)

Andreas

I wonder if it's possible to render the ramp as a foundation, then you might be able to use it more flexible, i. e. on slopes and/or river banks. Have a look at Mattb325's Griffith Observatory, which has an irregular footprint as well.
Andreas

weixc812

I'd second Andreas though. Since adding it will make the building even bigger, it is better if you could render the ramp as a seperated foundation or an adjacent component. Besides, all of us are not supposed to set the aquarium beside water.
Welcome to ALFERRID(UPDATE 5-District C)
And my other pics at SimCityChina:click here

tomvsotis

Quote from: art128 on November 05, 2016, 09:00:45 AM
Is there like, only Collins Street in Melbourne? :D
lol it's a street in Melbourne's CBD where a lot of office buildings are located. there's a really beautiful church, too, that maybe Reddonquixote will get to one day :)

jwsteele

:bnn: :bnn: :bnn: :bnn: :bnn:

I thought you were done!  I cannot tell you how excited I am to see all these new buildings from you.  There is no other BATer that comes even close to the quality of your skyscrapers....my city slowly turns more and more into Melbourne with every release.

I see the form of Federation Square...any plans to finish that one?  I've literally been saving a space for that one for years.  There's nothing like it available, a city-center type of feature to anchor a downtown.

Keep up the A++++++++ work.

JP Schriefer

The Aquarium looks amazing!!
Nice to know you intend to do the complete station, it's going to be great :)

reddonquixote

It's been quite a while since I last posted in this thread. Taking a small break from NYC, I'm picking up a BAT I started back in 2013. I keep getting gently ($%Grinno$%) reminded, when am I going to finish it? With all the crazy angles and elevations, not to mention its size, its pretty tedious to do. I think I'm going to start texturing and hopefully that will give me some more motivation to keep going with it. I think I will also keep posting updates, which I don't normally do during a BAT anymore, but I feel like I will need some encouragement  :thumbsup:

Federation Square:

JP Schriefer

Looking at the real thing on Google, it's very complex indeed, good luck with this one :D

The Aquarium was looking pretty good, I hope it's still in your plans :P