• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Tarkusian Cities (Update 107-08/23/2020-West Chemeketa Reconfig, Part 1)

Started by Tarkus, June 17, 2007, 08:31:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thundercrack83

Yet again, a wonderful update, Alex! The flashbacks to Argentum are always a great time! I'll be looking forward to seeing more, my friend!

Tarkus

Hi everyone-

Back again.  Just wanted to show you the proposed plan for Argentum's highways, on which you'll be able to see some of the future projects in the works.

Here's the immediate area around Argentum where most of the highways are.  (Don't worry, those black spots in the thumbnail pic are actually white when you open it up.)

And here's the (rather rough) proposed plan.  Many of the details involving the interchange designs and any needed realignment of surface streets aren't on here yet, but this should give you an idea. 

As you may notice, the proposed plan, if built, will be a drastic change from the current system.  Some of these changes might even seem a little odd at first.   ;) 

Here's an overview (Warning: Serious roadgeek content   :D)

-Much of the former Highway 4 freeway alignment has now been renumbered as Highway 304, which now ends as a spur, dumping onto Peninsula Avenue.  The remainder of the old Highway 4 alignment beyond that point, even with significant reconstruction, would still not meet standards due to its overly circuitous nature.  Highway 4 has been partially re-routed down the former Highway 204, multiplexing with Highway 61 and diverging again south of Angstrom. 

-Highway 61 has been moved away from downtown Argentum.  This was to allow the freeway to follow a more direct path.  The upgrades to Highway 304 will provide better access to downtown than the current Highway 61.  In addition, the "main drag" through Argentum, the eponymous Argentum Boulevard will be extended to serve as a major surface arterial. 

-Two new highways are planned.  Highway 321 will connect to the new Argentum International Airport (ARX), while Highway 161 will connect to future residential and commercial development planned for the Winger Inlet area.

(End serious roadgeek content. ;))

Now onto replies:

Pat (patfirefghtr):  Thanks, glad you enjoyed it!  And thanks for catching that busted link, too. :)

Ryan (Filasimo):  Thanks, hope this one was to your liking.  As far as keeping the updates up, I'm trying, and so far, succeeding.  It really does feel good to keep the MD moving. :)

beskhu3epnm:  Thanks, man.  And to answer your question, yes.  And getting those highways and roads into the game. :D

bat:  Thanks, I'm happy to hear you enjoyed the Caldera Lane reconstruction.  Still got a long way to go on the airport, though. ;)

EDGE4194:  Thanks!  Hopefully the proposed map here gives you a good taste of what's to come. ;)

sebes:  Thanks, I'm glad to hear it was to your liking, and the commuters are quite happy with the new bypass.  Evel Kneivel is reportedly disappointed, though.   I'm ready to get going on Highway 61 as well.   ;) 

Dustin (thundercrack83):  Thanks, Dustin!  Glad you're enjoying the Argentum flashbacks.

Hope you all enjoyed the map extravaganza . . .

-Alex (Tarkus)

BigSlark

Alex,

That's a great intersection that you built, I'll have to keep it in mind the next time I'm building an urban avenue.

The maps and proposed highway plans for Argentum are great. I'm looking forward to seeing them realized and I smell MIS usage...

And finally, all of your cities appear to be grown. I really like to see that in a MD, it makes me happy to know that functional cities are  more than worthy to be shared with the community.

Cheers,
Kevin

Filasimo

again im fascinated with your highway proposal i hope ya do enviro studies as you make these highway developments you know how enviro people can get  :D
Plaza Mall Project
http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=2171.0
Coming Soon to the LEX!

NAM Team
What can NAM do for you?
//

Jmouse

Hey Alex, that's a great update. The RL transport view was very helpful, and the map you drew will help me follow the DOT's progress. Just wondering, though, what do these symbols  "----]      [----" on your map represent (Inlet St @ 61 is a good example)? My guess would be underground roads, but I'm not usually very good at guessing! :D

Until next time...
Joan

Pat

Alex that road map is stunning even with the new alingments and renumbering... wow what details i love it, thank you for the geekness  ;)

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

sebes

Wow - great update. Thanks for the road geek info - realy appreciated. And, as usual, I spent way to much time looking at your gorgeous maps.

But.... I wonder how you got the Argentum Transport Council to approve the new plans. I cannot believe that there is no direct connection planned from downtown to the airport !! The route via 4/61 and 161 is simply to long, commuters will probably use the new Calderalane-bypass en masse. The traffic jams and CO2 emission will have a negative impact on the Milpont area, maybe even on all shores on the Argentum inlet...

I think you'll have to plan some major infrastructure projects to guarantee access to the airport for the downtown business, to avoid that they will move to other cities... A tunnel to connect 304 from the Peninsula to the 161 could do that trick...

Think about this before it's too late Major  ;)
Check my MD:               
Rhenen,NN

figui

well, since it's my first time commenting here, i must say i really enjoy "studying" your maps. the way you deal developing your transportation system is admirable!
great job :thumbsup:
first forums inhabitant from Uruguay..   first forums citizen from Uruguay..  first forums councilman from Uruguay..   first forums mayor from Uruguay..  first forums governor from Uruguay..
...i'm still the only one from Uruguay!

________

Tarkus

Hi again everyone-

Work has begun on the new Highway 61 alignment.

This was Highway 61 at Campus Boulevard:

Here it is now.  The old highway has been completely demolished.  A number of nearby structures had to be demolished to make room for the new highway. 

One potential issue in the proposed alignment has been found.  This is at the current intersection of Milpont Road and Skill Street (facing south).  The proposed plan had the interchange with the new Highway 4 alignment near this exact spot.  As you can see, there is a substantial stand of redwoods near the intersection.

In order to minimize the environmental impact, the two carriageways of Highway 61 will split and go around the redwoods, and the southbound lanes will take the former alignment of Milpont Road.

Here's a shot showing the site of both sides of Highway 61:

The dirt area on the left side of this pic is the proposed alignment of Highway 4.

Here's the southern end, where the two sides converge again, just past Redwood Way.

Now onto replies:

Kevin (BigSlark):  Thanks for the compliments.  I'm glad I was able to pass on some intersection ideas, and knowing that you're a roadgeek yourself, I'm sure you've probably got some good ones as well.  And yes, the smell of MIS ramps is wafting in the air . . .

Ryan (Filasimo):  It appears we were thinking the same thing with the enviro studies.  I've always tried to keep natural resources intact while
building my transit networks, though I'm not always quite so cautious around buildings, as you probably saw this update. :D   Thanks for the comment, and glad you enjoyed the transportation plan. 

Joan (Jmouse):  Thanks, glad you enjoyed the update, and that you got something out of it. :)  And yes, the little bracket things are for underpasses/overpasses and underground roads, though I've been toying with phasing them out (as I did on a few parts of the maps as an experiment). ;)

Pat (patfirefghtr):  I'm really happy to hear you enjoyed the geekness of the last update.  I can't help it. ;)  Thanks for the compliments on the map!

sebes:  Glad you enjoyed the roadgeek info, and I hope I didn't keep you from anything with the maps.  :D  I end up staring at them a lot myself, as I'm constantly trying to figure out what I can tear apart and improve.   ::)

As far as the airport goes, that was a very insightful comment.  Thanks! :thumbsup:  You're right that some of the other nearby cities would be chomping at the bit to steal some commerce away from Argentum.  However, that airport there is horribly outdated, so, in order to keep business in town, a new airport is being built on the other side of town, with a new freeway being built to access it.  However, it is a little misleading of me to still have Airport Road on there when there won't be an airport near it anymore . . .  ;)

figui:  Thanks, glad you enjoyed the maps and I'm quite flattered that you like the transportation system. 

-Alex (Tarkus)

BigSlark

And Tarkus is at it again...

To me, the greatest part of your reconstruction projects are the construction shots themselves and the detailed plan that you share with us all.

A few years ago, I spent most weekends on my motorcycle exploring the countryside around the construction of Interstate 22/Appalachian Development Corridor X in Northwest Alabama and was amazed by the amount of earth moved. The area is pretty hilly and requires some impressive cuts and fills and deep excavations for drainage systems.

I wish I had a digital camera back then, I didn't want to haul my Canon SLR system around on gravel backroads for some odd reason.

Also, out of curiousity, what slope mod are you using now Alex? I've been using BRF's and the new RHW slope mod recently to great effect. *hint hint*

I'm looking forward to more and I hope I haven't overstepped the reader's line.

Cheers,
Kevin

thundercrack83

Missed the maps above--they're something else, my friend! I don't know how you do it!

And the update looks great, too! I can't wait to see when Highway 61 is finished--revisited, if you will (couldn't resist that one, sorry)! Keep up the good work, my friend!

rickmastfan67

Looking good there Alex.  Can't wait to see what version of the RHW you're going to be using for 61. ;)
-- James Mast, aka: rickmastfan67
Painter/Public Relations at: Masgrafx Racing.

Check out the 9/11/01 Car Set Checklist.

Take a look @ the JPG Compression tutorial.  A must read to help cut away unnecessary file size from 500k+ images to help dial-up users out.

bat

That new pictures are looking really great! Wonderful work! :thumbsup: Looking forward to more...

my 2950th post!!

Filasimo

:D   great update Alex seems that i have read your mind for this update....im curious how you are going to lay this out and will you be showing your latest work on the RHW in your upcoming updates....hehehe guess well have to STAY TUNED!  ::)
Plaza Mall Project
http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=2171.0
Coming Soon to the LEX!

NAM Team
What can NAM do for you?
//

jplumbley

Hmmmm.. I think this was a good update.  But, it could have been made so much better... You needed to add some TLA-5 in there, I think you and I are gonna have to get some more textures together to finish the job, LOL.
"You learn something new everyday."

http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/169/nhpjplumbleykv3.gif
Bringing the new horizons closer to reality.

Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ Dedgren ♦ Ennedi Shadow Assassin ♦  Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
Street Addon Mod - SAM

Pat

Alex, so if i get this right the contractors are going doing a spilt in the road to avoid cutting down the trees?  But doesnt that throw off the budget a wee bit? Wouldnt it be easy to move the redwood trees, to make the best use of going straight and not looking like a drunk again lol...  Sorry to many questions this time around - pat

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

sebes

Wow - I feel very much honoured!  And impressed by your decission to just move the airport...it takes a lot of political courage to do so.

I thought you might be interested in looking at some satelite images from the reconstructions of the A2 highway between Amsterdam and Utrecht. It's currently a 2x3 highway, and it's turned into a 2x5 highway. For years now, cars drive through what looks like endless plains of white sand. A few weeks ago I thought that this can probably be noticed on Google Earth as well, and indeed... enjoy! (you can follow the path North to Amsterdam or South to Utrecht)
Check my MD:               
Rhenen,NN

Droftrah

Ennedi

Wow, these roadworks go ahead really quickly, it seems I missed at least two updates ::)

I must say I am impressed of the scale of your project, and these plans are perfect done! :thumbsup: Wchich program did you use to make them?

An advice - I suppose even after flattening the terrain you will have various elevations of neighboring areas. Try to avoid dragging diagonal roads/highways uphill or downhill. It often looks bad and it is very difficult to improve it. Of course sometimes you don't have any other way :)

Good luck with this project, I am very curious of it's future development!
New Horizons Productions
Berethor - beskhu3epnm - blade2k5 - dmscopio - dedgren - Emilin - Ennedi
jplumbley - moganite - M4346 - nichter85 - papab2000 - Shadow Assassin - Tarkus - wouanagaine

Jmouse

Hey Tarkus, that's another great update you've posted.
I'm wondering, however about all the transport-system changes occurring. Are you basing your decisions on in-game traffic data, RL layouts or whatever? Also, (and I do accept my throne as the queen of dumb questions &ops), I glanced back through the thread and saw a lot of traffic but no bus stops. What kind of mass transit system do you have? (And a thousand pardons if I missed it!)
Once again, I really enjoy this very enlightening thread and the development of your innovative layout! :thumbsup:

Until next time...
Joan