• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Tarkusian Cities (Update 107-08/23/2020-West Chemeketa Reconfig, Part 1)

Started by Tarkus, June 17, 2007, 08:31:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jmouse

What a lovely view of the lake! And along the lines of coincidence, mind reading or something, I once had a region called Mill Pointe Valley. Simply amazing and I am deeply honored. But don't you think the "St." should have been before the name instead of after? No? Well, you're probably right! :D

Looking forward to more, more, more...
Joan

bakerton

Alex, What a awesome job with the airport. I just might fly in to see everything myself and all the work that is going on. Keep the work coming dude. JKB
beam me up.... please!
I am the lurker that hides in all the corners and you can't get me out. You may try, but you can't.Please call me Jon or Jonathan.

MandelSoft

Hmmm... I recognise some names (like Tropod Pkwy). Nicely done, Tarkus!
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

bat

That new road map is looking very nice there, Tarkus! Really nice work on it... :thumbsup:

Haljackey

Whoa!  Awesome map!   :thumbsup: 

This is kind of a stupid question, but how can you make a map like that?  Does it render from SC4 or did you make it manually?

Again, amazing work!  Congrats on making it to "Of Special Interest This Month" once again!  The Classics board is now within reach...

Best,
-Haljackey

JoeST

Hal,

I believe he makes it using Inkscape (at least someone i know does...) or some such Vector graphics drawing program... i remember it from someones thread...

Joe
Copperminds and Cuddleswarms

sebes

Wow Alex - great map. I am glad to see that you have planned the 261 connection from downtown accross the Isthmus and Argentum inlet to area where the airport used to be, as I suggest back in october (here

Even though the airport was moved by the brave mayor, a lot of citizens will be very happy with this connection. Just currious, will it be a bridge or a big dig? Anyhow, don't forget a cool exit at Sebes Rd to give "my" street easy access to the northern part of town ;)
Check my MD:               
Rhenen,NN

EDGE4194

Alex- I must commend you again on your skills as a cartographer. As a person who is fascinated by maps, yours are just as good as any published map I've seen. In fact I love the 'clean' look of your map. I've followed your tutorial to create my own, and quickly realized I didn't have the patience or time, so i know how much effort you put into it.  &apls

paroch

Hey Tarkus - that is a map and a half - great job there.  When I see something as detailed and great looking as that I can only be envious.  I can only imagine how long it must have taken.

Paul

threestooges

I've seen a few good maps around here but (again, no surprise) this one is great. Excellent detail, it's very clean and the inclusion of schools and churches is something you don't see too often, but is a great touch. I'll look forward to watching the development proposed.
-Matt

Tarkus

Hi everyone-

Well, RL's crunching me a little bit right now (end of my Summer classes), so I'll have to make this brief, unfortunately.  But I have something you may enjoy here . . .

A full-street level map of the entire Argentum region (36 large tiles--6x6 square). . .
It's still a bit of a rough draft, so there's quite a bit that isn't marked up yet, most of the "hard stuff" is done.  I've largely only focused on 3-4 tiles of the region in this MD, so there's a lot that will be completely new here.  And if you're wondering what those thin black lines are, they're Railroads . . . I still need to clean up the details on them a little--I figured out how to make them look more "Railroady" in Inkscape.

I have to pass on my most sincere thanks to our good friend Kevin (BigSlark) for pointing out Gmap Uploader the other day at 3RR.  It's a site which allows you to import custom maps into the Google Maps interface.  So, that means no more ImageShack popups, plus you can more easily scroll/zoom.

Thank you for all your support and kind words, and I'll be getting back to (long overdue  :-[) replies to all your great comments within the next couple days, along with a return to road construction.

-Alex (Tarkus)

(n.b.--To quickly answer Haljackey's question, since it's directly related to the maps, Update 21 here was dedicated entirely to a mapping tutorial--hope that helps!)

Haljackey

Wow... I am as blind as a bat.  Thanks for getting back to me about the map, Alex!  At first glance it looks a little complicated, but I think I will understand how to make a map once I get my head into it.

Oh, and good luck on your summer exams! 

Best,
-Haljackey

Jmouse

Very impressive work on the map, Alex. I'm going to enjoy exploring it in more detail later this week. Eventually it's something I would like to try myself - I love Adobe Illustrator (CS2) and will use it for mapping if possible.

You might find it amusing to know that on our recent road trip (8 hours there and 7 back), when I grew bored with my crosswords I started thumbing through the road atlas. I think I'm starting to pick up some patterns and find myself wondering how they would work in game.

There can be no doubt you have a new convert...
;)
Joan

P.S.: As for your end-of-class finals, you don't need luck. You already have the knowledge, skill and focus you need to do well, and I know you'll use them to your best advantage.

thundercrack83

What a map, Alex!

Magnificent work, my friend! You've certainly put in the hours on that, and it's paid off! I can't wait to see what you've got for us next!

Dustin

MandelSoft

Nice Map, Alex  &apls
And for making maps, I use Flash (which has vector images, which is ideal for maps)
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

sebes

Impressive Alex - very impressive....

I'm pleased to see the new location of the airport - great spot! With a lake on two sites that brings down the number of people demanding noice reduction actions! Although, it's a bit away from the freeway.... I think I can predict some major congestion on Road 342 and the surroundings of Kirkton in future.

Well - that can only mean that we have some very pleasant time following your construction workers ahead of us  ()stsfd()

Edit: well - I always download your maps (call me crazy if you want) but cannot download this one from the Google Upload.... Do you mind also posting an imageshack version?
Check my MD:               
Rhenen,NN

bohort

Your city is very beautiful !  :thumbsup:
I like your map. On the other hand, your airport is little and the terminals is too many little and I would add an
other runway  ;)
We have only planet ! Stop Global Warming !
I'm French, so sorry for my bad english !

j-dub

Oh man, as a Google map, that looked real, and made this city seem real. Nice one.  &apls

bat

Nice work on that map (google map)!
Looking forward to more... ;)

Tarkus

Sneaking in a little update . . . some preparations for Highway 261 in Argentum. :)

Here's a map from before the changes in this update (quite a way back in October . . . haven't found a more recent, accurate one with this city tile included)
[URL=http://img186.imageshack.us/my.php?image=argentumnowcm3.png][IMG]http://img186.imageshack.us/img186/153/argentumnowcm3.th.png[/img][/URL]

Here's the most recent map of Argentum, showing the changes from this update (and some from the next couple updates--also included in the "big" map):
[URL=http://img141.imageshack.us/my.php?image=argentummap7042008ic4.png][IMG]http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/5104/argentummap7042008ic4.th.png[/img][/URL]

And speaking of maps, I know there's some interest in my uploading the big map from Update 32 onto ImageShack . . . however, the sheer size of the image (it's over 10,000px wide and tall) has been problematic with ImageShack . . . I'm looking into alternate methods now . . . possibly splitting the map into little city-tile based units and making a "grid", consisting of a table of regional map segments, but I haven't decided yet.  I'll get it figured out somehow, though. :)

IN ASSOCIATION WITH

Argentum Boulevard Re-Alignment: Isthmus to Palafox/Nywood

This project will re-align an unnecessarily curvy section of Argentum Boulevard, due north of Downtown Argentum, and intersections with Parallel Drive, Meastro Road, Nywood Road and Palafox Street.  It is a joint collaboration between TDOT and the City of Argentum's Transportation Office, and in addition to improve safety and intersection geometry along this important surface arterial, it will also be the one of several projects in preparation for the opening of the Central Argentum Beltway (Highway 261).

This is a before shot of Argentum Boulevard looking north at the current overpass over Highway 261.  The old (OWR-based) on/off ramps from when this sunken grade carried Highway 4 were still in place.

The existing intersection between Argentum Boulevard and Parallel Drive (looking north)

The overpass torn out, with work beginning on the new alignment on the south side of the freeway grade (looking north).  The Olive Garden on Parallel Drive, along with approximately 20 homes, had to be demolished in order to make way for the new roadway.  (And if there are any Olive Garden fans, no need to worry . . . they've already built a new location.)

The first home demolitions. 

The former alignment at the Meastro Road intersection (looking north).

The current intersection with Nywood Road, and the start of construction (looking north), which has resulted in Nywood being closed.

Due to intersection geometry issues with both the Argentum/Nywood intersection and the Nywood/Palafox intersections, Nywood Road will be closed off at Palafox Street, and Palafox will be extended to an intersection with Argentum Boulevard.

A look at the east end of the new Palafox/Nywood intersection. 

The City of Argentum is looking at a further study of the Argentum/Caldera intersection just to the north as well.

More to catch you up on in a little bit . . .

-Alex (Tarkus)