• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Siilijoki

Started by noahclem, December 07, 2010, 06:41:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dantes

noahclem

Once again, best holiday wishes from Siilijoki!

After a wonderful holiday season filled with family visiting from overseas I've come up with a bit of material I hope you'll all enjoy. First a couple shots of northern Finland this time of year:

It's been very beautiful:

And very, very cold:

Also very, very fun.

Back in Siilijoki things have been quite cold as well. The winter snow shows the area in a unique perspective.

19.1 - A heavy snow sets in

19.2 - A little trouble for motorists

19.2 - A nice blanket is left on the ground

19.3 - The days are short this time of year

19.4 - The whole region takes on a new color

19.5 - And the ski season opens....

And a belated Merry Christmas from a siili:

Quote from: Kergelen on January 03, 2012, 12:34:52 PM
Nice preview!

I like the combination of the white snow and blue/emerald water :)
Thanks Kergelen! It was fun trying to find that combination--though I'd love to find a mod that turns my water to ice....

Quote from: art128 on January 03, 2012, 12:44:45 PM
Sweet preview, I like it. The snowy area by that pond and the train passing by the background are great.
Thanks Arthur! A bit more from the same scene here  :thumbsup:  It's fairly hard to come up with a lot of areas that look good in the snow, though I'm happy to have found a couple. Maybe if I figure out a way to mod more textures into snowy ones....

Quote from: Girafe on January 03, 2012, 01:03:43 PM
these pines are look check the vol2 of rural pack there are snowy trees made by Vnaoned which fit well with the pines :)

Hope to see more tomorrow  ;)

I must apologize for being a day late--I spent almost twenty hours working and driving yesterday  $%Grinno$%
Thank you for the suggestion, which I've already tried out. Those new trees do work very well with the snowy ones and I plan to show some scenes featuring them here before long. Your ski resort stuff is amazing, by the way  &apls &apls &apls

Quote from: rambuckel on January 03, 2012, 02:05:38 PM
This whole MD is an impressive work of art!

I wish you a successful year 2012!

-rambuckel
Welcome to Siilijoki and thanks for such a nice compliment! I wish you the best in 2012 as well!

Quote from: Dantes on January 04, 2012, 04:09:04 PM
Great preview  :thumbsup: Fantastic atmosphere  &apls
Thanks Dantes, glad you liked it!

art128

I don't know why, but that interchange does look good in a snowy field! Also the region view is outstanding!
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

Kergelen

:o The region shoot is wonderful. Great work!

And the intersection picture is very nice with the snowed trees and the tall building on the right corner.

I presume that the cool water is after sauna ::)

Quote from: noahclem on January 05, 2012, 02:05:37 PM
Nice preview!

Thanks Kergelen! It was fun trying to find that combination--though I'd love to find a mod that turns my water to ice....

It'll be fantastic to have a Ice water mod!!

Links to SC4 websites

RickD

Great snow pictures. Winter service seems to be efficient in Siilijoki. I wouldn't mind getting some snow in the winter if it wouldn't fall on the roads.  $%Grinno$% But it is up to +12° C here.  ::)
My name is Raphael.
Visit my MD: Empire Bay (My old MD: Santa Barbara County)

kelis

Yeah, amazing region shoot, with all that snow looks great !! I like the mix with real and game images, the final result is a great update, Great job my friend  &apls &apls
.                                                                                                                      

|| Benelux Team || Windows on the World || My Photos on Flickr || Kelis BNL Projects ||

Dantes

Awesome  :thumbsup: I love the ski place and rhw  &apls  &apls  &apls

kbieniu7

Cool! (in both meanings ;)) I agree with Arthur (art128), that the interchange in this winter aura looks good. I wish I could see the snow trough the window, not only on the computer or TV screen :(
In the region view I can see some green trees! It reminds me May of 2011, when in Poland snow has fallen for two days.  ;D
Thank you for visiting Kolbrów, and for being for last ten years!

bat

Nice winter image there!
And Happy New Year.

vinlabsc3k

Wow, it's very cool!! (RL photos)

Your mastery it's outstanding noah!!
&apls &apls

HAPPY NEW YEAR!
My creation at CityBuilders.

SimCity 5 is here with the NAM Creations!!

Sciurus

Wonderful region! It's more beautiful with snow I think :D

Guillaume :thumbsup:
L'atelier d'architecture
* * * * * Longwy * * * * *

io_bg

Happy New Year! Wonderful winter scenes &apls
Visit my MD, The region of Pirgos!
Last updated: 28 November

noahclem

As winter continues in Siilijoki I've been having a lot of fun! Recent work has focused on a ski resort and the surrounding area in Tunturikyla, the tile directly north of Pohjanmaa. Containing the Siilijoki region's highest peak at 916m it's a natural site for skiing and indeed a resort has been planned there for almost as long as there's been a Siilijoki Region.

Gondolas just before opening:

I almost decided to save this for the update--border added but otherwise no Photoshopping.

Quote from: art128 on January 05, 2012, 02:54:43 PM
I don't know why, but that interchange does look good in a snowy field! Also the region view is outstanding!

Thank you Arthur! If you liked that snowy interchange I think you'll enjoy the next update--this time with a never-before-seen interchange  $%#Ninj2  ;)  Possible new region view coming up but the transparent ski-lift lots are giving me a real headache on that one (also by ruining the "tasty zots" cheat).

Quote from: Kergelen on January 05, 2012, 02:55:48 PM
:o The region shoot is wonderful. Great work!

And the intersection picture is very nice with the snowed trees and the tall building on the right corner.

I presume that the cool water is after sauna ::)

Quote from: noahclem on January 05, 2012, 02:05:37 PM
Nice preview!

It'll be fantastic to have a Ice water mod!!

Thanks Kergelen! Yes, jumping into the frozen lake was definitely after sauna. And I ran back in as fast as I could  :D   I've not been able to find an Ice water mod, unfortunately, though I've noticed the lower elevation textures on my current terrain mod look pretty icy. If I were more talented and had more time it'd be nice to figure something out with that.

A new snowy interchange and possible region view update soon  :thumbsup:

Quote from: RickD on January 06, 2012, 01:26:13 AM
Great snow pictures. Winter service seems to be efficient in Siilijoki. I wouldn't mind getting some snow in the winter if it wouldn't fall on the roads.  $%Grinno$% But it is up to +12° C here.  ::)

Thanks RickD! Siilijoki's winters require a reliable plow service and the motorists getting accustomed to winter driving. I wonder if they're required to have special winter tires like Finland? Guess I should decide soon before winter is over  :D   Just like in Siilijoki, RL snow doesn't cause much trouble on roads when it falls in places that are used to it--with my metal-spiked winter tires I sometimes drive 120 or more over packed snow/ice when passing. And while the snow is certainly beautiful +12° sounds pretty nice after yesterday being closer to -20° in Rovaniemi  ;)

Quote from: kelis on January 06, 2012, 03:01:34 AM
Yeah, amazing region shoot, with all that snow looks great !! I like the mix with real and game images, the final result is a great update, Great job my friend  &apls &apls

Thanks a lot kelis! That's my first mixing the RL pics with SC4 ones and I think I might do it more often. I'm glad you liked it and hope you enjoy more from winter in Siiljoki  :thumbsup:

Quote from: Dantes on January 06, 2012, 10:53:14 AM
Awesome  :thumbsup: I love the ski place and rhw  &apls  &apls  &apls

Thanks Dantes! I'm glad you mentioned the ski place as I'm really excited about it and have been doing a lot of work on that since. More of both coming soon  :thumbsup:

Quote from: kbieniu7 on January 06, 2012, 01:41:08 PM
Cool! (in both meanings ;)) I agree with Arthur (art128), that the interchange in this winter aura looks good. I wish I could see the snow trough the window, not only on the computer or TV screen :(
In the region view I can see some green trees! It reminds me May of 2011, when in Poland snow has fallen for two days.  ;D

Thanks alot! There's definitely a bit of green on the region view since most of Siilijoki hasn't yet switched to seasonal trees, especially on Lots. Let's just imagine it as a situation like you mentioned in May  ;)  I hope you get some snow soon but in the meantime I'll have more snow to watch through your computer screen  ;)

Quote from: bat on January 07, 2012, 07:54:28 AM
Nice winter image there!
And Happy New Year.

Thanks bat! Glad you like the winter images and Happy New Year to you as well!

Quote from: vinlabsc3k on January 07, 2012, 10:34:09 AM
Wow, it's very cool!! (RL photos)

Your mastery it's outstanding noah!!
&apls &apls

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Thanks so much vinlabsc3k! Glad you like the winter in Siilijoki and Finland and a Happy New Year to you also!  :party:

Quote from: Sciurus on January 07, 2012, 11:47:03 AM
Wonderful region! It's more beautiful with snow I think :D

Guillaume :thumbsup:

Thanks Guillaume! Glad you like the snow, I think I'll keep it around for a couple months.

Quote from: io_bg on January 08, 2012, 05:51:48 AM
Happy New Year! Wonderful winter scenes &apls

Thanks Ioan! Happy New Year to you as well!

Dantes

Fantastic Teaser.  :thumbsup: I wish a ski adventure by james bond  ;D

Gringamuyloca

$%#Ninj2
I've been hoping someone would drop the snow mod into their Plugin folder.  :thumbsup:

Lucky us - it's you!  ;D

Can't wait to see your 'take'... this past year and 20 pages have been a joy to savour!  :satisfied:

Best wishes and looking forward to another year of great MDing.
Tamara

art128

Hehehe, transparent lots are always a headache for me too.... :D

Nice picture, Noah. Good use of the ski lift and the trees.
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

Gugu3

Kergelen

These snowed pictures have a special atmosphere. I like them.  &apls
I'm looking forward to see the skiing resort.

That last New Year I have been in Lithuania and I tried for the first time in my life, bathing in a frozen lake surrounded by snow after the sauna. You feel really well! In my country I can't do that  :)

Links to SC4 websites

Framly

*brrr*

Cold outside :)

The last picture is inconspicuous - but very beautiful - you can feel the silence :thumbsup:

-klick-1st Anniversary Video-klick-
Part of SFBT and RFR Team

Battlecat