• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Siilijoki

Started by noahclem, December 07, 2010, 06:41:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RickD

Very beautiful. I was wondering where you got this ploppable water from. Then I realised it is Game Water.  ::)
My name is Raphael.
Visit my MD: Empire Bay (My old MD: Santa Barbara County)

ricardomiranda

Another very good upgrade. I like your bridges!

Ol.S / Benoit

Nice work on that river Noah ! :)

One thing, next time you should think about the underwater work. Even if we can't see it because of the water mod, just plop flora to have darker areas, then it looks real.
Benoit.
MD : Click on picture

Gugu3

Very very nice!!!!!! &apls
love that RHW 6c bridge!!!must find out how to use DBE to create such things ;)

Dantes

The banks look very nice. &apls  I love the detail and atmosphere.  &apls

Nanami

Nice looking river! unfortunatelly the RHW 6c bridge seems a bit weird ;)

bat

Great work on the river! Looking forward to more... :)

io_bg

Looks great! I guess you've lowered the sea level in order to make those bridges, is that right?
Visit my MD, The region of Pirgos!
Last updated: 28 November

Kergelen

Very nice!
I like how the birches are so close to the water :)

Links to SC4 websites

noahclem

Thanks for the great comments everybody!  :thumbsup:

For today, one quick picture and the replies from the last update!

More on this area soon  ;)

Quote from: kbieniu7 on November 24, 2011, 04:58:23 AM
Love the autumn scenes!  :thumbsup:

Thanks kbieniu7, glad you liked them!

Quote from: Framly on November 24, 2011, 05:05:30 AM
Great Update! I like how you work with the bridges.

I've small question. Where did you find the bridge in 17.7? Thanks:)

Keep on your great work!

:thumbsup:

Thanks Framly, I'm always glad to have you visit! The bridge you're asking about is an overhanging eyecandy diagonal bridge from the STEX made by Glenni. I'm having trouble finding the link but I'll edit it in and PM you if I can track it down.

Quote from: Terring7 on November 24, 2011, 05:08:19 AM
Awesome pictures, very beautiful scenes &dance
I don't like however the railroad bridge, it's distorting the landscape &mmm . If I was you, I would build a tunnel for the trains crossing under the river ;D

The river is in a valley significantly lower than the areas around it so to get to a tunnel the track would have to be too steep. Plus Swordmaster needs to have a pleasant view while he's driving the trains around here   ;)   I'll get to some nature areas that are more peaceful in the future  :thumbsup:

Quote from: vinlabsc3k on November 24, 2011, 08:00:17 AM
As ever your mastery is awesome even with rural areas. :thumbsup:

A little critique: Make the road bridge plain, in the header, 17.6 and 17.9 pictures it's sloping on the left side

Thanks for such kind words!! The slope was actually intentional--the land rises steeply to the north (the high side of the bridge) and remains flat for a few tiles before rising again to the south. Thanks for pointing it out though  :thumbsup:

Quote from: Swordmaster on November 24, 2011, 08:50:57 AM
Quote from: Terring7 on November 24, 2011, 05:08:19 AM
Awesome pictures, very beautiful scenes &dance
I don't like however the railroad bridge, it's distorting the landscape &mmm . If I was you, I would build a tunnel for the trains crossing under the river ;D

Most impolite, sir, as if the people driving those trains don't like to enjoy the landscape!  >:(

Very nice update, Noah! Nice trains. ;D

Hehe, don't worry Willy I won't take your scenery away  :D  Thanks for the nice comment  :thumbsup:

Quote from: Sciurus on November 24, 2011, 08:58:38 AM
Excellent work mate! &apls

Guillaume :thumbsup:

Thanks Guillamme!

Quote from: art128 on November 24, 2011, 09:35:28 AM
Ahahah, I laughed at the cars making drifts on the bridge!

Anyway, nice update Noah, that water mod fits very well.

Yeah, those crossover paths for wider RHWs are pretty annoying but there's not much of a way around it at this point, just some crazy driving  ;)  Glad you liked the water!

Quote from: Skimbo on November 24, 2011, 03:19:52 PM
Very nice! (as always)

The only thing to criticize are the three pairs of elec. whires on the railbridge while the other parts of the tracks haven't got catenary....

Thanks Skimbo! Thanks for pointing out the catenary problem. Sometimes I remove my catenary T21 mod so I can place lot-based catenaries, and in this case I forgot to put it back in my plugins.

Quote from: RickD on November 25, 2011, 12:47:22 AM
Very beautiful. I was wondering where you got this ploppable water from. Then I realised it is Game Water.  ::)

Yeah it does look a bit like ploppable water  :D  That's the effect i was going for though so I'm glad you think that!

Quote from: ricardomiranda on November 25, 2011, 05:11:08 AM
Another very good upgrade. I like your bridges!

Thanks a lot Ricardo, glad you liked it  :thumbsup:

Quote from: Ol.S / Benoit on November 25, 2011, 06:19:37 AM
Nice work on that river Noah ! :)

One thing, next time you should think about the underwater work. Even if we can't see it because of the water mod, just plop flora to have darker areas, then it looks real.

Thanks Benoit! I'm new to creating this type of area so I really appreciate the advice. Just a number of rocks you think or plants too?

Quote from: Gugu3 on November 25, 2011, 09:49:57 AM
Very very nice!!!!!! &apls
love that RHW 6c bridge!!!must find out how to use DBE to create such things ;)

Thank you very much! I really need to get around to making a tutorial on using the DBE to make bridges but the one from this update actually didn't need the DBE. Instead I removed the water and placed an elevated network. When the water came back it looked like a bridge.

Quote from: Dantes on November 25, 2011, 03:11:19 PM
The banks look very nice. &apls  I love the detail and atmosphere.  &apls

Thanks Dantes, very nice to hear!

Quote from: 976 on November 26, 2011, 01:45:22 AM
Nice looking river! unfortunatelly the RHW 6c bridge seems a bit weird ;)

Thank you! I'm not sure what's up with those graphic glitches on the bridge  &mmm  I've noticed it happening sometimes ever since I started testing the alpha versions of the most recent NAM/RHW.

Quote from: bat on November 26, 2011, 02:06:47 PM
Great work on the river! Looking forward to more... :)

Thanks a lot bat, glad you liked the river!

Quote from: io_bg on November 27, 2011, 12:17:45 PM
Looks great! I guess you've lowered the sea level in order to make those bridges, is that right?

Thanks Ioan! Yeah, those bridges were simply made by lowering the sea level. I also reduced the transparency of the water so it still looks good when it's only 5-10 meters deep.

Quote from: Kergelen on November 27, 2011, 01:30:29 PM
Very nice!
I like how the birches are so close to the water :)

Thanks Kergelen, glad you like it! Girafe's new birches (and his other trees) are amazing  &apls

Terring7

"The wisest men follow their own direction" Euripides
The Choice is Ours
---
Simtropolis Moderator here. Can I help? Oh, and you can call me Elias (my real name) if you wish.

Dantes

rooker1

Fantastic teaser.  I really like how you placed the two bridges so close together and were able to get a train, tram and some cars.  Looks very realistic and I would love to see more of this area.

Robin :thumbsup:
Call me Robin, please.

ivo_su

Fancy, unique, even exceptional that I can call these testers. The idea is great and performance is very high - congratulations to the originator. Expect new pictures because everything seen here is a joy to watch.

- Ivo

art128

A quite elegant teaser, Noah! The way you've built it is very ingenious as it looks like a real underpass. :)
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

Sciurus

L'atelier d'architecture
* * * * * Longwy * * * * *

RickD

What a great picture. I love the underpass.
My name is Raphael.
Visit my MD: Empire Bay (My old MD: Santa Barbara County)

Yan077

You're the master of bridges and underpasses Noah !
Excellent teaser  &apls

kelis

Awsome Teaser Noah ! The underpass is very realistic  &apls &apls
.                                                                                                                      

|| Benelux Team || Windows on the World || My Photos on Flickr || Kelis BNL Projects ||

noahclem

Welcome to a special Siilijoki anniversary update! It's been a real pleasure playing Siilijoki for the last ~20 months but much more fun sharing it with you over the last 12. The great community at SC4D and the feedback from you have made my Siilijoki what it is today. Thank you so much!

For this update I wanted to touch on a variety of areas that have not yet been displayed here. From monotonous housing blocks to bustling highways and from picturesque historic districts to dirty industry I hope I can offer a little something for everyone. Thanks again and enjoy! :party:

Siilijoki XVIII

First, an updated region view of Siilijoki with Siilijoki proper outlined in yellow. Igelstadt lies to the southeast and Pohjanmaa to the east.

As you can see I work at a cheetah's pace  :D   While the amount of time I spend playing is probably more than it should be, so much of it is spent planning (I have notebooks full of proposed interchanges, street-grids, and MD updates), perfecting details, second-guessing and re-doing development that I've yet to "complete" a single large tile! Fortunately SimCity is not a race ;)

Next, let's have a look at the northern tip of Igelstadt Island. I've loved working with them for months but I think this might be the first time I've shown Xannepan's Quai Seine in Siilijoki.

Just a couple blocks south of the last picture a narrow canal cuts into the island, offering an interesting route for recreational boaters. The ARD-3 "bridge" is a point of pride for me, though it could use railings ;)

Dedicated to Arthur (Art128), the next two pictures showcase the apartment blocks that predominate just west of Igelstadt's city center and the Igelstadt Kreuz.

Moving south about 2km we reach one of Igelstadt's industrial areas, featured in the previous teaser

Besides the rail links and local roads, this area is served by a motorway exit

Thanks for viewing and let me know what you think!

Replies:

Quote from: Terring7 on December 01, 2011, 02:49:48 PM
Wow, very nice picture :)
Thanks Elias! Congratulations on a year of your MD as well!

Quote from: Dantes on December 01, 2011, 02:51:24 PM
The Teaser is fantastic  :o

Thank you very much! I appreciate you visiting so often  :thumbsup:

Quote from: rooker1 on December 05, 2011, 04:13:45 AM
Fantastic teaser.  I really like how you placed the two bridges so close together and were able to get a train, tram and some cars.  Looks very realistic and I would love to see more of this area.

Robin :thumbsup:

Thank you Robin! A bit more of that area here and more to come  :thumbsup:  Those underpass/bridges were fun to create but it was a bit tricky to get the automata to cooperate ;)

Quote from: ivo_su on December 05, 2011, 05:10:50 AM
Fancy, unique, even exceptional that I can call these testers. The idea is great and performance is very high - congratulations to the originator. Expect new pictures because everything seen here is a joy to watch.

- Ivo

Thanks for such a nice comment Ivo, glad to have you visiting  :thumbsup:

Quote from: art128 on December 05, 2011, 08:30:07 AM
A quite elegant teaser, Noah! The way you've built it is very ingenious as it looks like a real underpass. :)

Thanks for the kind words Arthur, hope you enjoyed your dedicated pictures ;)

Quote from: Sciurus on December 05, 2011, 11:32:43 AM
Excellent picture my friend! &apls

Guillaume :thumbsup:

Thanks Guillame  :thumbsup:

Quote from: RickD on December 06, 2011, 06:29:55 AM
What a great picture. I love the underpass.

Thanks a lot RickD, glad you liked the underpass!

Quote from: Yan077 on December 06, 2011, 06:35:15 AM
You're the master of bridges and underpasses Noah !
Excellent teaser  &apls

Wow, what a compliment! Thanks a lot!

Quote from: kelis on December 14, 2011, 04:33:27 PM
Awsome Teaser Noah ! The underpass is very realistic  &apls &apls

Thanks so much kelis, glad to have you around Siilijoki again  :thumbsup: