• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Siilijoki

Started by noahclem, December 07, 2010, 06:41:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skimbo

Oh, I've missed a lot of great stuff  :thumbsup:
The Dragon Island Cities journal at SC4Devotion

For a Dragon Islands video click here

bat

Nice work on the highway and great night shot!

Terring7

The highway looks a bit dizzy, but still is lovely :)
"The wisest men follow their own direction" Euripides
The Choice is Ours
---
Simtropolis Moderator here. Can I help? Oh, and you can call me Elias (my real name) if you wish.

supremec

Amazing city  &apls The RHW is very good  :thumbsup:
Click on the banner to see my BATs

kwakelaar

Quote from: sumwonyuno on July 06, 2011, 04:28:31 PM
The roadways look great!  Though in 14.11 and 14.12, that pillar in the middle of the road looks dangerous.   $%Grinno$%
Some folks really see everything  :D, I would think a valid observation. I must say I really like the way you have been kind of weaving this intersection together though.

ricardomiranda

noahclem

After a couple RL distractions (to say the least) I'm back in the game (pun intended  :P ) !!! As I've already proven, I'm not very good at predicting the future, especially with regards to my MD development, but I strongly hope to avoid more prolonged absences like the previous one. Here's a simple sample of what I've been up to:

This is a suburban area next to a highway and a large pond (which was probably already apparent) and I'd really appreciate any suggestions for how to make a better beach.

In any case, I hope you enjoy my new image and I hope to offer more exciting things soon!  :thumbsup:

More to come before Monaco Friday I hope--the non-picture taking and photoshopping tasks are already done.

REPLIES

The roadways look great!  Though in 14.11 and 14.12, that pillar in the middle of the road looks dangerous.   $%Grinno$%
Thanks and good point! I may have to visit that area   :D

Quote from: io_bg on July 07, 2011, 12:07:11 PM
Nice update! I really like your RHWs.
sumwonyuno, you've a sharp eye :P I didn't notice that until I read your comment ;D
Thanks Ioan  :thumbsup:

Quote from: RickD on July 08, 2011, 02:48:56 AM
Nice update. By the way, I like the town's name. Igelstadt. It always makes me smile. I guess I am easily amused.  :D
Thanks RickD, but I have to give my brother Aaron credit for the name. As an avid German student (and exchange student there in a month) he roughly translated my region name into German  ;D  In any case it makes me smile too :)

Quote from: wallasey on July 10, 2011, 02:05:00 AM
That compact interchange is amazing!! What gave you the inspiration to lay it out like that? It most certainly works!

What is also good is that you haven't been tempted to go over the top with high mast lighting, which you can see sometimes.
Thanks a lot wallasey!! The inspiration there came from a bunch of doodling on paper when I was attempting to make as compact an interchange as possible while maintaining realistic merging distances. It was originally supposed to be in a more cramped area (the other side of the river) but I decided it was too close to the next junction. I hope to publish a couple other interesting intersections I thought up during that same project  :thumbsup:

Quote from: vinlabsc3k on July 10, 2011, 06:11:12 AM
As ever ur mastery to place lots and trasportation is amazing, noahclem. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Plz, I'd know the link for the tram-in-avenue on-slope FLUP. ;)

Thnx.

Thanks a lot for the nice comment, I really appreciate your repeated visits!  &hlp  You're welcome for the link and if anyone else is looking for the same thing you can find it here: http://www.simtropolis.com/forum/files/file/25587-gtk-onslope-flups-gateway-for-tram-in-avenue/

Quote from: Reikhardt on July 10, 2011, 10:19:46 AM
As ever Noah, I bow down to your transport work  :thumbsup:  &apls  &apls
Thank you very much Reikhardt and great to see you around again!

Quote from: Jmouse on July 10, 2011, 11:20:41 AM
Hello again, Noah! I haven't had time to study all the wonderful updates I've missed, but I'm working on it. You've done some remarkable things with transportation elements, and from my point of view, they're certainly worth studying.

See you soon...
Joan

Very nice to see you back Joan and I'm glad you've enjoyed the recent updates  ;D  Take care and thanks again for all you do around here  &apls

Quote from: Exla357 on July 11, 2011, 08:19:18 AM
Great job here, Noah. I actually managed to post something with the new forums...I think I still like the old ones better, though.

I have to agree that the FLEXFLY pillar in the middle of the lane could be a slight traffic hazard...

-Alex  :thumbsup:
Thanks Alex  :thumbsup:  The forums are quite a bit different now than when you last commented but I'm pretty impressed with the end result. The only thing I really miss is a way to easily view wider pictures--and I guess I should ask about that. Again, I'll have to work on the FLEXFLY pillar  $%Grinno$%

Quote from: Tomas Neto on July 13, 2011, 05:42:26 PM
Wow, Noah... amazing system road!!!  Awesome update again!!!   &apls &apls
Thank you very much Tomas, great to see you around again!  :thumbsup:

Quote from: Skimbo on July 14, 2011, 12:54:30 AM
Oh, I've missed a lot of great stuff  :thumbsup:
Thanks, glad you liked it Skimbo!

Quote from: bat on July 17, 2011, 07:15:07 AM
Nice work on the highway and great night shot!
Thanks a lot bat!

Quote from: Terring7 on July 18, 2011, 03:29:54 AM
The highway looks a bit dizzy, but still is lovely :)
Thank you Elias! It's good to get a little dizzy/crazy sometimes  ;D

Quote from: supremec on July 18, 2011, 05:02:41 AM
Amazing city  &apls The RHW is very good  :thumbsup:
Merci beaucoup supremec!

Quote from: kwakelaar on July 18, 2011, 12:16:37 PM
Some folks really see everything  :D, I would think a valid observation. I must say I really like the way you have been kind of weaving this intersection together though.
Valid indeed!  :D  Glad you liked the way I put the intersection together!

Quote from: ricardomiranda on August 09, 2011, 03:20:22 PM
Nice job , great update !
Thanks a lot, glad you liked it and welcome again!  :thumbsup:

Jmouse

Glad you're back in the game, Noah. ;) That's a lovely and very inviting beach you've built around your pond. I own water-front property, but there's no beach, only weeds. It's nice to look out the front windows and watch the geese land feet first on the water's surface, though.  Indeed, it's an impressive sight when there are 20-30 of them in the flock.

Now you have me looking forward to seeing more of what you've been up to... :)
Joan

dedgren

Another excellent MD that I don't get back to often enough.  I really enjoyed the six month anniversary posts- lots of great pics in a very distinctive style.

David
D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax

bat

Nice picture of that beach! Also it's nice to see something new here... ;)

wallasey

I look forward to seeing them bud!

The beach looks very inviting! Any good ales going in the beach hut over there?

Tomas Neto

Exla357

Hey man, RL comes first. We're here when you're ready :)

Sciurus

Great beach, it's good for holidays! :P

Guillaume :thumbsup:
L'atelier d'architecture
* * * * * Longwy * * * * *

art128

I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

noahclem

SIILIJOKI XV

2 September, 2011 - Introduction to Lintula

After a pretty crazy summer for me Siilijoki is finally back! Thank you all my readers for your patience!

This update picks up where the previous updates left off, moving north and east from Igelstadt's city center and toward the river. The neighborhood in this direction is called Lintula, a relatively high-wealth area bounded by (West) Pohjanmaa on the north, the Iijoki River on the east and two major roads on the other sides.

First an updated region shot with the Igelstadt tile highlited. Siilijoki Proper is immediately northwest while Pohjanmaa is northeast. Igelstadt is now the largest of the Siilijoki Region's cities, well ahead in area and marginally ahead in population.

Next, a map!

Thanks to Alex (Tarkus) for the concept! I started today using his MD for work purposes, of all things (does that make me the first person to get legitimately paid to use SC4D?), and then got so carried away with vector imaging that I ended up with a map--it was actually a lot of work.

Anyway, here's the link to Alex's tutorial if you like maps and have a bit of time: http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=1555.msg111886#msg111886

Being near a coast with significant winds from that direction Siilijoki gets a few rainy days. The greenery is great but the rain itself can be a pain:

But the sun still shines of course! Lintula and the area between it and Igelstadt boast plenty of natural areas.

One of Igelstadt's (and especially Lintula's) major intersections:

Now a mosaic of the area progressing from closer to Igelstadt's core to further away:

A night overview:

And seen in the light of day:

REPLIES:

Quote from: Jmouse on August 14, 2011, 08:21:15 PM
Glad you're back in the game, Noah. ;) That's a lovely and very inviting beach you've built around your pond. I own water-front property, but there's no beach, only weeds. It's nice to look out the front windows and watch the geese land feet first on the water's surface, though.  Indeed, it's an impressive sight when there are 20-30 of them in the flock.

Now you have me looking forward to seeing more of what you've been up to... :)
Joan

Joan (jmouse) - Truly a pleasure to have you around again! Waterfront property in Texas sounds nice, even if you have to deal with a couple weeds! I also enjoy watching the geese land feet first--as a former professional waterskier I have to give them credit for beating humans to both waterskiing and barefoot waterskiing (wink)

Quote from: dedgren on August 14, 2011, 08:57:41 PM
Another excellent MD that I don't get back to often enough.  I really enjoyed the six month anniversary posts- lots of great pics in a very distinctive style.
David

David (dedgren) - Speaking of people who's precense I'm delighted to have again! Thank you for the compliment and I hope to further captivate your interest (face)

Quote from: bat on August 15, 2011, 02:06:55 AM
Nice picture of that beach! Also it's nice to see something new here... ;)
bat - Glad you liked the beach and it's very nice to know my MD has been missed. Thank you for the kind words!

Quote from: wallasey on August 15, 2011, 02:14:59 AM
I look forward to seeing them bud!

The beach looks very inviting! Any good ales going in the beach hut over there?
wallasey - You know it! The current specialty is a strong, crisp wheat. Aslo, glad you liked the beach ;)

Quote from: Tomas Neto on August 15, 2011, 05:46:37 AM
Very nice beach!!!   :thumbsup:
Tomas - Thanks Tomas, glad you liked it!

Quote from: Exla357 on August 18, 2011, 10:42:43 AM
Hey man, RL comes first. We're here when you're ready :)
Alex (Exla357) - Thanks for understanding man, really nice to hear  :thumbsup:

Quote from: Sciurus on August 18, 2011, 01:21:39 PM
Great beach, it's good for holidays! :P

Guillaume (Sciurus) - Thanks, I actually just spent my own holidays on a beach in France! Alas, my skin has adapted to low-angle Finnish sun and I got fried pretty bad--skin is still pealing!

Quote from: art128 on August 19, 2011, 03:58:10 AM
Nice beach there, Noah! ;)
Arthur (art128) - Thanks a lot! Always a pleasure when you visit!

Jmouse

Noah, that map (15.2) is one of the most impressive I've seen. It looks like it's professionally made. May I ask what software you used to create it? Your comment about vector imaging suggests you might have used Adobe Illustrator (R).

I rather like the dreary look of 15.3 - guess I'm tired of glaring summer sunshine. &mmm Your night shots look great, especially 15.6. The composition has a pleasing balance, and I like the dark area in the top right quadrant. Your selection and placement of trees in 15.7 is excellent, and the entire mosaic is stunning.  It's scenic and realistic enough to be a travel poster.

I'm glad you posted the night and day comparison (15.8 and 15.9). For a moment, I wondered if 15.6 and the top part of the mosaic were the same, but decided I was probably wrong.

It's good to be back, and I'm glad to see you back in the game as well... :)
-Joan

Skimbo

finally another update again! I like many of the pics.
The Dragon Island Cities journal at SC4Devotion

For a Dragon Islands video click here

art128

Superb update once again. The rain effect on the first pictures is well done. The mosaic is really wonderful, I like your work with the Turning lanes and the pedestrian bridges.
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

Sciurus

Great update, again and as always would I say! &apls &apls

L'atelier d'architecture
* * * * * Longwy * * * * *