• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Siilijoki

Started by noahclem, December 07, 2010, 06:41:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill_Chen

I like the buildings which you picked. And the roads are special. :thumbsup:

My first MD here : The Urban construction diar

Terring7

"The wisest men follow their own direction" Euripides
The Choice is Ours
---
Simtropolis Moderator here. Can I help? Oh, and you can call me Elias (my real name) if you wish.

noahclem

SIILIJOKI X - 31 March 2011

Pohjois Siilijoki #2

Looks like I've got a few minutes left to kick out a third update for March! As always thank you all for viewing and commenting, especially:

kodlovag - Thanks a lot! If you haven't found that train yet it's by Girafe on TSC here: http://toutsimcities.com/downloads.php?view=1590

io_bg - Thank you, glad you like the rails!

Tomas Neto - Thanks a lot for the very kind words Tomas!!

Skimbo - Glad you liked the mosaics and train skins, thanks so much!

Reikhardt - Thank you! I was worried the flora could be a bit repetitive but I'm happy with the result--though I've since added Girafe's new deciduous trees to some of the forests.

Girafe - Thanks for posting and I'm glad you liked the rails in the forest here! The last update was kind of a showcase of your work and I've tried to give credit to you. Thanks so much for your awesome trees and trains!

peter007 - Thank you, glad you liked the waterfront!

bat - Thanks so much for the kind words! Very nice to hear!

Sciurus - Thanks a lot! The guardrails are part of NAM development and so unfortunately are not yet publicly available.

nbvc - Thank you very much!

KexLexington33 - Thank you very much! I'll pm you a link to those walls in case you don't catch this update and anyone else interested in kazuki's walls can find them on his exchange here: http://klex.blog85.fc2.com/. You can also use the CSX seawalls (normal and Malta sets) for similar purposes, including land use. They are available on the LEX.

kwakelaar - I really appreciate the compliment, thank you very much!

Cierzo - Thanks a lot! There will be more beaches, rails, and forests in the upcoming updates here!

Bill_Chen - Thanks a lot, glad you liked the buildings and roads!

Terring7 - Thank you, glad you liked the rails!

On to the update! For this one we'll focus on the area immediately west of the last update, the western part of Pohjois Siilijoki. It's essentially a bedroom community with the majority of workers commuting by rail across the river to the Siilijoki city center or even beyond to Pohjanmaa (the road network only connects to the undeveloped tile to the north at this point).

This picture shows most of the newly developed area:

As you can see the area is built on a steep hill. I've done a bit of lotting to work with the slope which is most of why it took me this long to develop the area  ::)

The new railway station is a major part of the community with about 3500 daily commuters.

Trains run well into the evening--"evening commuters" travel to and from the greater nightlife options available a 5 minute train ride away.

The road connecting the newest development the one shown previously:

A quieter neighborhood at night just west of the rest:

Hope you enjoyed the update and let me know what you think!

Terring7

Just another one boring update :thumbsdown:

April's Fool Day :D :D
Another one great update :thumbsup:
"The wisest men follow their own direction" Euripides
The Choice is Ours
---
Simtropolis Moderator here. Can I help? Oh, and you can call me Elias (my real name) if you wish.

Tomas Neto

Wow Noah, amazing update!!! I liked a lot of both mosaics!!! Awesome work, my friend!!!   &apls &apls

mayorfabz

QuoteTrains run well into the evening--"evening commuters" travel to and from the greater nightlife options available a 5 minute train ride away.

Now you don't need to commute, there is an awful lot of nightlife in this part of Pohjois: look at that crowd in front of the pub!
With "Billig Bier & Wein" (cheap beer and wine), no wonder, I guess...

Nice update. I appreciate your MD a lot and I like to pay a little visit from time to time: always something interesting to watch (e.g. diagonal bridges or this sloped parking places.)

Cheers,

Fabien

Sciurus

Ah, I see... I hope they'll be available soon, because they interest me a lot $%Grinno$%
Another great update! &apls

Guillaume :thumbsup:
L'atelier d'architecture
* * * * * Longwy * * * * *

Framly

Great Update! I like how you managed the heights differents :)

-klick-1st Anniversary Video-klick-
Part of SFBT and RFR Team

io_bg

Visit my MD, The region of Pirgos!
Last updated: 28 November

kwakelaar

Again some interesting pictures to see how you use your infrastructure, nice update.

Reikhardt

Fantasticaly detailed city, I love those retaining walls in the first three pics! Are they pesonal lots?

canyonjumper

Great update Noah! I see the FLuP Fever still has you in its grip :P Looking forward to update XI!

Your friend,
                             Jordan :thumbsup:
I'm the one who jumped across the Grand Canyon... and lived.

noahclem

Pohjois Siilijoki #3 -- 7 April 2011

Here's another one focusing on Pohjois-Siilijoki--the neighborhood just north of the Siilijoki city-centre dominated by mountains and waterfront and squeezed between a relaxed, middle-class, largely aboriginal population and an impending influx of wealthy yuppies. For now the beach bums are winning--despite my efforts (ironically being a beach bum myself) to at least semi-gentrify the area. I've removed the only luxury building, a beautiful large hotel, from the area after noticing it blocked all the hippy/surfers' view and didn't really fit in with the other bats. Perhaps the area is somehow destined to hold on to its current character....

Terring7 - Haha, thanks Elias! I should have known an April 1st update would be trouble ;)

Tomas Neto - Thanks a lot Tomas, glad you liked the update and the mosaics!

mayorfabz - Yeah, the people at the train station look pretty boring compared to the ones by the bar/liquor store/whatever it is! That bat is so perfect even though it's so old. Thanks for commenting, it's nice to here my random stuff is catching peoples' attention. Cheers!

Sciurus
- Thanks a lot Guillame! I'd be happy to release the custom stuff here but as a new uploader I want to make sure I'm not breaking any rules/plagiarizing. I borrowed the foundation stats and concept for the walls from kazuki's walls--so do I need his permission to upload or is it ok because its my own lot (none of his stuff is actually used in mine)? I have my rail station uploaded on a private site already and will send you a link as soon as I chat with simcitler (it's a relot or his relot of an SFBT station). I also need to track down dependencies before I do any type of "official" release such as the STEX.

Framly - Thank you, great to see you here again!

io_bg - Thanks Ioan, glad you liked it!

kwakelaar - Glad to see you back and thanks for the kind words! One of these days I'd like to make an update with some of your custom stuff....

Reikhardt - Thank you! Yeah, those walls are custom ones I made. Some are 1x1 lots and some are part of a re-lotted rail station. I do hope to share--see Sciurus' reply for details.

canyonjumper - Thanks Jordan! Yeah, there's not much better than a good FLUP ;) I'll look forward to your next update (hopefully FLUP-related as you always do a great job with them, especially the on-slope ones) as well!

I've put together a combination of overview shots, detailed shots, and mosaics for this update which is likely to be the last featuring the area for a while. Plenty of work remains to be done in Pohjois-Siilijoki but the challenges of advancing it further are significant: lotting more walls for the sea, lotting ploppable buildings with the wfk retaining walls, diagonal waterfront development, cross-tile mosaics, and most importantly developing a road bridge and the area around it. There are also some other projects I'm excited to get into outside of this area ;)

Getting back to business, there has been an increasing amount of boat traffic in the area:

I'm largely happy with the shoreline development

Light the night for safety!

Actually I'd rather you didn't. I think the seawall lights are far too bright and am looking for a solution to the problem.

Toward the west end of current development in Pohjois-Siilijoki:

An overview of most of the area developed in the last month:

Here's a development plan of the Westernmost section of Pohjois-Siilijoki:

And here's a map showing planned rail and freeway routes in the area. Circled areas are being considered for an update in the near future. Please let me know of any of them seem particularly intersting (there are small numbers in each of the circles to label them).

It's always a pleasure  ;)

Evillions8

Tomas Neto

Amazing the beauty of your update, Noah!!! Beautiful city, and fabulous mosaics!!! Incredible work, my friend!!!   &apls &apls

Quote from: noahclem on April 06, 2011, 05:31:57 PM
There are also some other projects I'm excited to get into outside of this area ;)
Wow..., really this is a good news!!!   :)

canyonjumper

Awesome Noah! I love the Ave-2 mod you've got, it fits in perfectly ;D

Your friend,
                          Jordan :thumbsup:
I'm the one who jumped across the Grand Canyon... and lived.

io_bg

Looks great! I like the transport layout! My only remark is about the police station, I'm not sure if it fits the low-rise development around it ::)
Looking forward to seeing progress in the construction of the junction and the bridge in the last pic. :thumbsup:
Visit my MD, The region of Pirgos!
Last updated: 28 November

noahclem

cubby420

Cool stuff. I think I see where you're going with this...

Girafe

The Floraler

This is the end, hold your breath and count to ten, feel the earth move, and then...

*   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *    *   *   *   *   *    *