• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Siilijoki

Started by noahclem, December 07, 2010, 06:41:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

noahclem

Siilijoki Teaser 9 March 2011

Thanks for the birthday wishes everyone! I had a good time going out after work on Saturday and a nice family dinner Sunday. With spring break in full swing things are pretty hectic at my restaurant (aptly named Bar & Cafe Seikkaileva Siili [Adventurous Hedgehog] no connection to an MD with a similar name). If you're curious about the place check out the URL under my avatar which links to our facebook site and if anyone happens to be in northern Finland come say hi!

Needless to say I haven't had a lot of time for SC4 but I wanted to answer comments and share a picture I made a couple days ago.

Framly - Thanks, glad you liked them!
Tarkus - Thanks for the thoughtful reply and birthday wishes Alex! I'm very flattered you've enjoyed Siilijoki so much and even more flattered if my transportation layout provides any inspiration!
canyonjumper - Thanks Jordan! I've noticed you like those 10m TIA underpasses as well, based on the picture competition HOF  :thumbsup:
kodlovag - Thanks for the birthday wishes and for creating the mod that made those night images possible!
io_bg - Thank you for the compliment and happy birthday!
Tomas Neto - Thank you very much, glad you liked the pictures!
Battlecat - Thanks for the compliment and birthday wishes!
peter007 - Thanks a lot! Glad you liked the update and thanks for the happy birthday!
art128 - Thanks for the kind words Arthur!
Reikhardt - Wow, thanks for the great compliment! I'm really glad you like Siilijoki's transport system!

This picture is my favorite one taken with USL so far and features a neighborhood I like so much I decided to put my home there (according to an update a few weeks ago--it's the first row house after the diagonal buildings near top-center though it's no different from any similar row house except I've decided I live there  $%Grinno$%). It's a bit more polished and I think kodlovag's work really shines here.

Tomas Neto

Awesome teaser my friend!!! Fantastic mosaic!!!  &apls &apls

Skimbo

That's a nice mosaique you've got there =)
The Dragon Island Cities journal at SC4Devotion

For a Dragon Islands video click here

nedalezz

That is a great set of updates!

My favorite picture, something that I really think is a work of SimCity art, is 6.2 - the night effects and the lights, it just makes it sublime in my opinion :)

peter007

It's great. I love your diagonals.

sumwonyuno

The City & County of Honolulu, a Mayor Diary based on Honolulu, Hawai'i.

mark's memory address - I've created a blog!

noahclem

SIILIJOKI IX

Pohjois-Siilijoki

High season for tourists continues at the restaurant here in northern Finland and an impending move has further "distracted" me from SC4. It seems I'm going further north of all places, now to Rovaniemi on the arctic circle--am I SC4D's northernmost member now? Anyway, I've managed to throw some material together in the last few days that I'm quite happy with. This is the long-awaited (at least by me) return to Siilijoki Proper. Instead of a more urban update as you'd expect moving closer to the center of the metropolis, I'm presenting my first rural update, featuring the steep hills across the broad Siilijoki River from the city center.

Special thanks to:

Tomas Neto - Thanks a lot I'm glad you liked the teaser mosaic!
Skimbo - Thank you very much! I hope you like the emphasis on rails in this update!
nedalezz - Thanks so much! I'm really flattered by your praise for 6.2 and hope you continue to find things you like here!
peter007 - Glad to see you back, thanks again!
sumwonyuno - Thanks, glad you liked the night stuff!

Besides the new rural developments here I've re-aligned my regions tiles a bit to better fit transit neighbor connections and coastlines. Here's an update of the new alignment taken from Wounagaine's Terraformer, with current and planned rails and highways overlain:

And the full region if you're curious:

Pohjois-Siilijoki, meaning Northern Siilijoki in the native language, is not well suited to dense development with its almost complete lack of flat ground but its commanding views and defensible terrain made it an attractive spot in the past. Its inhabitants continue to be largely of aboriginal descent, though the breathtaking views and white sand beach are increasingly attractive to a broader range of society.

Pohjois-Siilijoki lies at the far side of the only current bridge over the Siilijoki River, a rail connection. The region's central terminus is also almost immediately across the river so the area sees a significant amount of train traffic.

Looking down the hill:

The tracks serve freight trains as well, as shown in this early autumn picture

One of my favorite pictures of the area so far:

For additional perspective here's a zoomed out view showing Pohjois-Siilijoki, the width of the river and the edge of the city-center on the other side. As you can see there's a lot of development to be done  ::)

I hope you enjoyed this update and please let me know what you think! Feedback on the wooded areas and train skins would be especially valuable  :thumbsup:

-Noah

kodlovag

Very nice pics! 9.8 is my absolute favorite.
I used the same red region runner train for a long time, but now working on a new train skin for my region. Now I'm looking for train car and engine models. I really like the train on 9.5 and 9.9, I will try to find a download.
Visit my MD, welcome to Archipelago

io_bg

Very nice update - I particularly like the railway layout, it's quite realistic. :thumbsup:
Visit my MD, The region of Pirgos!
Last updated: 28 November

Tomas Neto

Wow..., fantastic update my friend!!! Really great work!!! I liked a lot of the forest and the railroad!!!  Awesome!!!   &apls &apls &apls

Skimbo

Nice mosaique and veeeery nice play with trainskins.
The Dragon Island Cities journal at SC4Devotion

For a Dragon Islands video click here

Reikhardt

Great work with trains and I really love your use of flora, makes the countryside come to life  &apls

Girafe

The TGV was one of my first upload  :) so long time ago

and these pines are my last upload

3 or 4 years of modding and batting :)

Anyway I like the way you made your railway in the forest  :)
The Floraler

This is the end, hold your breath and count to ten, feel the earth move, and then...

*   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *    *   *   *   *   *    * 

peter007

bat

Nice night views at the top of this page!
And the other pictures are also wonderful. :thumbsup:
Your city and region are looking great...

Sciurus

Great update! I like the roads... were did you find the guardrails?

Guillaume :thumbsup:
L'atelier d'architecture
* * * * * Longwy * * * * *

nbvc

KexLexington33

kwakelaar

These are some rather striking images, combination of white beaches and pine forest, I find it quite remarkable.

Cierzo

Amazing update!!  &apls

Love the details on that small beach in the mosaic. The forest areas and rail layout are great too.