• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Siilijoki

Started by noahclem, December 07, 2010, 06:41:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

noahclem

TABLE OF CONTENTS:

Frequently Requested Links

0 - Introduction - 8 December 2010
I - Siilijoki Proper Continued - 9 December 2010
II - Maps 'n' Merry Christmas - 24 December 2010
III - Welcome to Pohjanmaa - 13 January 2011
IV - OSITM Update 1 - 5 February 2011
V - OSITM Update 2 - 22 February 2011
VI - OSITM Update 3 - 25 February 2011
VII - OSITM Update 4 - 28 February 2011
VIII - Birthday Special - 6 March 2011
IX - Pohjois Siilijoki #1 - 21 March 2011
X - Pohjois Siilijoki #2 - 31 March 2011
XI - Pohjois Siilijoki #3 - 7 April 2011
XII - Welcome to Igelstadt! - 20 May 2011
XIII - 6 Month Anniversary Special #1 - 7 June 2011
XIV - 6 Month Anniversary Special #2 - 13 June 2011
XV - Introduction to Lintula - 2 September 2011
XVI - Crossing to Igelstadt Island - 4 November 2011
XVII - West Igelstadt Channel - 24 November 2011
XVIII - 1 Year Anniversary - 21 December 2011
XIX - Let it Snow! - 6 January 2012
XX - 2nd OSITM I - Introduction to North Siilijoki - 1 February 2012
XXI - 2nd OSITM II - Getting Ready for the Season - 6 February 2012
XXII - 2nd OSITM III - A Journey Through Time and Space - 14 February 2012
XXIII - 2nd OSITM IV - It's Just a Rainy Day - 26 February 2012
XXIV - 2nd OSITM V - Siilijoki Naked 29 February 2012
XXV - North Pohjanmaa Continued - 14 March 2012
XXVI - North Pohjanmaa & Tunturikyla - 14 April 2012
XXVII - Along the Canals - 29 May 2012
XXVIII - Eastern Central Siilijoki - 18 July 2012
XXIX - Central Siilijoki Feature - 25 August 2012
XXX - Berner-Oberland TM - 17 September 2012
XXXI - Halloween Special - 31 October 2012
XXXII - 4-in-1 OSITM #1 - 9 November 2012
XXXIII - 4-in-1 OSITM #5: Madison 15 November 2012
XXXIV - Snowy Travels - 22 January 2013

INTRODUCTION

Welcome to my new Mayor's Diary! I hope you enjoy your time here, find something to take away from my work, and give me plenty of feedback. Your comments, questions, and suggestions are not only welcome but requested!

My first entry will be more of a teaser than an in-depth analysis of my region. I hope to have maps, graphs, technical background, brief storylines, and more in updates to come. Transportation-oriented content will be emphasized. For now I can only hope your interest is piqued  :D

1.1 - Businesses and green space near the city center

1.2 - A residential area bordering a sunken freeway on Siilijoki's periphery

1.3 - An upscale residential neighborhood after dark, closer to the center of things

1.4 - Tramways and viaducts crossing the edge of a major freeway interchange

1.5 - A sunrise view of the Santtujoki (joki=river)

travismking

nice first update :) I will keep an eye on this one for sure

Jmouse

Good start, Noah. Even though you call it a teaser, you've posted a nice variety of scenes. You definitely have my attention and interest!

If I may make one small suggestion, please number your photos. It's so much easier to comment on them individually. Other than that small detail, it looks like you have everything under control.

Looking forward to the first update... :)
Joan

canyonjumper

Excellent start Noah! I love the diagonal bridge, and sunken highway walls ;D

Your friend,
                                    Jordan :thumbsup:
I'm the one who jumped across the Grand Canyon... and lived.

Jayster

Very nice first post for your MD, looking forward to more!  :thumbsup:

Jayster

RickD

Excellent first update. Looks very promising.
My name is Raphael.
Visit my MD: Empire Bay (My old MD: Santa Barbara County)

Tomas Neto

Wow my friend, awesome start!!! Fantastics pictures of your beautiful city!!!

rooker1

Awesome start.  But I am a little worried now.....if you call that a teaser, what do you call an update?

Great work!  &apls

Robin  :thumbsup:
Call me Robin, please.

io_bg

Very nice start. The downtown looks great. Can't wait to see more!
Visit my MD, The region of Pirgos!
Last updated: 28 November

Ciuu96

Great start, the city kinda looks like some actual Finnish city, it just has that kind of feeling in it. Very well done!  :thumbsup:
Has it really been almost 2 years?
Must return. :)

art128

Nice start, I kinda love that last picture, the river with the diagonal bridge is just perfect !

Take care,
-Arthur. :thumbsup:
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

noahclem

Noah's Siilijoki

Entry 2

Welcome to my second entry of my new MD!

Replies:

travismking - Thank you for your kind words being the first to comment here! I hope you continue to enjoy my work.
Jmouse - Thanks for the tip on the picture numbering  ::)  I went back and edited numbers in right away.
Canyonjumper - Thank you! Those diagonal bridges are always fun but usually don't come without a hassle ;)
Jayster - Glad you like it here and I hope you continue to!
RickD - Thanks for your visit and the kind words!
Tomas Neto - Thank you so much for your compliment!
rooker1 - Maybe teaser wasn't the best word to use but glad you enjoyed it! Thanks for the encouragement along the way--I finally started it!
io_bg - Thank you! I think your MD was the first I ever followed, or at least commented on  :thumbsup:
Ciuu96 - Thanks. My goal is to have Finnish and American elements in the city, hopefully taking the best of both. The Helsinki trams and  bats help with the Finnish feel I'm sure though.
art128 - Glad you liked it, thank you! I like it because it combines things that are difficult in SimCity (diagonal bridges and underwater terraforming) with things that are new to me in the GIMP.

First, a little background on the Siilijoki city and territory:

OVERVIEW

Siilijoki is a small province (16x22 kilometers) of New Bothnia, a mediums-sized English-speaking republic. The eponymous city is the province's capital and its economic and transport hub. The name was adopted from the aboriginal inhabitants and means "Hedgehog River." Exploitation of Siilijoki's modest mineral resources, limited agriculture, and vast but marginally profitable forests sparked development beginning more than a century ago. After many years of relative stagnation and hesitant growth in the last decade centered on health, finance, and services, the area seems poised for rapid expansion due to a "perfect storm" of external factors:

1. New Bothnia was isolated from the worst of the recent world-wide recession by its mineral wealth and trade ties to nearby growing, export-based economies.
2. Siilijoki's pleasant climate and natural beauty have made it a popular destination for tourists and relocating people and businesses.
3. The federal government's recent stimulus spending, especially with regard to transportation infrastructure, promises new opportunities for the region.

GEOGRAPHY

Siilijoki includes hills and mountains in the north, vast wooded lowlands in the south, a long coastline to the east, and a substantial system of internal waterways. The area's varied topography makes many types of cityscapes possible. The map was created by blade2k5 for NHP.

2.1 - Siilijoki continues to grow at a rapid pace and the city center is thriving. The area shown in this picture is located on the west bank of the Santtujoki (the river that runs a couple tiles above this picture) near where the city first developed. This area suffered a period of decline due to former heavy industry located nearby and urban flight. Recently decreased pollution and crime along with demographic changes have caused property values to increase steadily along with development. Part of this area was featured in a day shot in my first entry.

2.2 - Across the Santtujoki lies the city's commercial center and transport hub. The large rail terminus and tram depot (blue arched building in foreground) pictured here are Siilijoki's mass transit core:

2.3 - Numerous tramlines and railways radiate outward from the center of the network. The route here is only a couple blocks north of the central station, along the riverfront (here the Siilijoki, by far the largest river in the area, from which the city and province took their names).

2.4 - The railways shown here are immediately east of the terminus, crossing a creak before rounding a bend and entering a tunnel.

2.5 - Heading further east and south (near the previously mentioned train's route) we arrive at the primary industrial area. Cars here battle each other and a tram to exit the area when the night shift ends.

2.6 - Many of the commuters who prefer their own ride to public transit make use of Suomenpuro Interchange (eastern half pictured here). The picture faces south-southeast, toward the suburbs. Traffic heading west goes toward the city center and beyond, north toward the industrial area from the last pic, and east toward the port and more industry along the main freeway. The tramway and viaduct link more local traffic.

2.7 - A few blocks away, beyond the previous industrial pic, some smog on a calm day clouds the view of more factories and warehouses. Although progress is being made, air pollution can occasionally be a problem for the area.

For the next update I'm hoping to create some maps and decent zoomed out shots so the geographical references make a little more sense  :thumbsup:  In the mean time I hope you enjoyed your time here and please let me know what you think!

RippleJet

Aah, Siilijoki... that's a name that matches your avatar... ::)  ...and a nice start it is! ;)

Only... you're awake far too early in the morning... $%Grinno$% :D

canyonjumper

Great update Noah! I love the GLR and the choice of BATs!

Your friend,
                            Jordan :thumbsup:
I'm the one who jumped across the Grand Canyon... and lived.

Jmouse

Your nighttime shots look great, Noah, especially 2.2. I don't recall seeing that structure before, but it's lovely and made more so by the clever lighting.

I'm not qualified to comment on your rail and tram systems. Here in the U.S., I've never seen a passenger train in use although I know there are some. As for trams, they're getting more popular in larger cities such as Houston and Dallas, but many Americans still prefer to drive their personal cars. I like the little park beside the station in 2.3, though. :)

That's an interesting highway system you've shown in 2.6, and based on your explanation of it, I'd say it's well planned and well traveled. From what I can see, you've put some thought and effort into beautifying the surrounding area, too.

I'm glad you included that last photo (2.7). It adds a striking touch of realism - we all know everything isn't clean and beautiful in RL.

Some maps and zoomed-out shots would be a welcome addition to your excellent close-ups, so I'll be watching for them.

Joan

cubby420

Wonderful beginnings! Those diagonal bridges in the first update are fantastic.  :thumbsup:

Tarkus

Noah, it's great to see you entering the MD world!  To say you've got an amazing start here would be a vast understatement. :thumbsup:  The images you've posted so far are breathtaking and the backstory has a really intriguing angle to it.  The built environment you've created is really something to behold (especially the night pic and that last industrial shot) and I'm really impressed with the transportation system you have going there--that's probably the best use I've seen of the diagonal bridge trick, and of course, I can't help but like that RHW interchange.

This is excellent stuff here, to say the least!

-Alex

Sciurus

That's really really impressive! :o &apls

Guillaume :thumbsup:
L'atelier d'architecture
* * * * * Longwy * * * * *

Nardo69

These are definitely some nice detail shots. Good use of the RRP flora and MM trees to complete your setups, and as far as I can see nice railway networks. But even though I am a big fan of good detail shots I'd love to see some picture from further away to get overall picture.

Take care!

Bernhard  :thumbsup:

Battlecat

Great start!  The diagonal bridge in your first update is particularly eye catching!  That mosaic with the railway is also very impressive, great job with the details!