• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Siilijoki

Started by noahclem, December 07, 2010, 06:41:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

noahclem

Hey guys, just popping in with a quick update. I've been playing quite a bit lately as well as doing some lotting light modding, largely just trying to get buildings to properly fit the cityscape in central Avalonia. I've made a lot of changes and additions but work has been spread out across many projects in different parts of the region and there isn't a lot of stuff that's really ready to show right now. Projects include:

1) Work in the main area of the port, just downriver from the central tile, which now features two humpyards, rail and road connections around the quays, and industrial and residential development.

2) Development of residential areas in the tile immediately east of the center, Glastonbury Heights, which includes the mail rail line and motorway headed east to the airport and region's edge.

3) Development in the center tile on the opposite side of the river, including highway links, rails, residential areas, and utilities.

4) Work on the hospital campus where a big re-lotting project could yield some exciting results. Preview of the general idea I'm going for with that:

5) Work on the university campus, which lies between the center and hospital.

6) Work in the old city with city walls and the like.

7) Reconstruction of the secondary station area in the center. What was formerly a 4xElevated DTR station, the Berlin Hauptbahnhof, is now the ground level Amsterdam Centraal. That originally had only three tiles of rail but I've re-lotted it to also have 4--an HSR line runs just behind the station. Once I started with the re-lotting I didn't want to stop--it's such a beautiful lot with so much potential. I've run into a number of technical problems that have delayed my progress on it but the condition it's in now is actually something I'm pretty proud of. I think it showcases Erik's textures well.

I ran into a number of questions I was hoping someone might be able to help with:

First, on my last attempt to re-lot Centraal, I added tons of bollards and bike props and eventually the save button grayed out and the program froze up--could that be from too many props? If so is there any way to know how many is too many?

Second, I've had some weird commuting stuff. Glastonbury Heights had basically everyone commuting to the central tile, including around 2000 rail passengers but they never showed up when I went back to the central tile--same thing with the highway commuters. The rail connections had ped malls under them and the route query wouldn't show rail passengers there--could that have an effect? Changing them to regular viaducts didn't fix it.

Third, for whatever reason I just can't get my University of Clayhurst expansion buildings to show up despite repeatedly going over the dependencies--has anyone else had this problem or know what I might be doing wrong?

Thanks all, I plan to be back with a real update shortly :)

Simmer2

Nice update &apls

I can answer your first question, the one regarding the prop limit. It is 1280.
That number includes textures, props and overlays. Lotconfig counts every object towards that number.
Last time I encountered that issue I had to split the lot.

Nick

Thanks Nick! I'm working on figuring out the lotconfig count--something in Reader or another program? Found something that sounded like that in Reader but it had me well over the count already if I understood it properly so I'm guessing that was not what I was looking for. Would strongly like to avoid splitting the lot but could do so if it seems like it would allow a big improvement. It probably isn't worth splitting the lot over bollards though, or single bikes vs groups of bikes...

-Noah
________________________________________________________________________________

Themistokles

Beautiful relot of Amsterdam Centraal  :thumbsup: The textures tie in very well with your TiA retexture!

Thank you very much :)  Let me know if you ever want to try out any of my unreleased files!

-Noah
Come join me on a hike to St Edmea!

Latest update: 7

"In the end, our society will be defined not only by what we create, but by what we refuse to destroy." - John Sawhill

Gugu3

Grat to see you back with a few pics!That station looks gorgeous!Very nice indeed

Thanks Guglielmo! Glad you like the station--I hope to release it soon :)

-Noah

art128

Interesting take on Amesterdam's station. The textures and props used go very well together with the station's building.

Thanks brother. Your continued support means a lot to me :)
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

kbieniu7

Wow, Noah, that's a lot of LOT work :D Effect is great. I hope you'll finish it, before it finish you :D I've done such relotting for a railway station and the square for a small tow, that took me two years. Hope, you're fighting better than me! :D

Hehe, thanks man! Hopefully I finish it quickly--I've been working on other stuff lately which isn't the best sign :D  Will do my best to wrap it up before I get too distracted though....

-Noah
Thank you for visiting Kolbrów, and for being for last ten years!

Vizoria

The Amsterdam station looks WAY better. Good job with the relot!

Thanks a lot man! Looking forward to sharing it :)

-Noah

noahclem

Still alive over here :D  Have been doing a good chunk of work, much of which dovetails with my texture and tram project. Just one picture for now from the middle of town:

click

The slope all around the city center makes things quite difficult but in this area I think some retaining walls and the placement of lots makes the hills look good.

Gugu3

It is good indeed!I have always loved the way your cities fit in with the terrain :thumbsup:

_Michael

Wow - love the last image and I've also flicked back and looked at the last 5 pages. really nice work. (Looking forward for the texture mods ;) ) Do you know what map you're using - I'mm looking for a new map and this, or something similar, could be it. Thanks

Thanks :)  The map is Plymouth, UK by dobdriver. It's very hilly and I picked it mainly to be able to build winding, tunneling rails and roads through the countryside. The hills do make it quite challenging at times though.

-Noah

Themistokles

Slopes can sure be a pain, but from what I see you've really made the most of them :thumbsup:

And many thanks for the offer of unreleased files, it's very appreciated! :) Unfortunately I haven't even had time to install SC4 on my new computer, so I fear I wouldn't make the textures justice. &mmm
Come join me on a hike to St Edmea!

Latest update: 7

"In the end, our society will be defined not only by what we create, but by what we refuse to destroy." - John Sawhill

compdude787

Looking great! Glad to see you back, Noah!!
Check out my MD, United States of Simerica!
Last updated: March 5, 2017

My YouTube Channel

kelis

Lovely night scene, I like the diagonal paths  &apls
.                                                                                                                      

|| Benelux Team || Windows on the World || My Photos on Flickr || Kelis BNL Projects ||

rooker1

Hey Noah. It's been a long time. Miss you guys lots.
Interesting pics and it's great to see you still have some love for the game. I have always loved your highway works and your Lotting looks top notch.
I think about turning it on every once in a while but I'm afraid I'm out of touch now.

Take care
Robin  ;)

Thank you, Robin. Can't tell you how nice it is to hear from you. The community misses you more than you know but I miss you more than that. Would love to see you back should you ever rediscover a surplus of free time. For now though, I hope all's well and feel free to hit me up on skype.

Cheers,
Noah

PS, now I get to use the green text :P
Call me Robin, please.

APSMS

Quote from: rooker1 on November 20, 2016, 03:51:57 PM
[snip]
I think about turning it on every once in a while but I'm afraid I'm out of touch now.
Robin,

Great to see you around! Please feel free to stop by even if you can't fire up the game. Like Noah said we miss you here (enough that some jokers gave me a moderator job. Ha! :D) and seeing more faces stop by even if they're not involved helps enliven the atmosphere.

Glad you were able to stop in for the 10th anniversary. Don't be a stranger.

-Absalom
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

My Mayor Diary San Diego: A Reinterpretation

compdude787

Quote from: rooker1 on November 20, 2016, 03:51:57 PM
Interesting pics and it's great to see you still have some love for the game. I have always loved your highway works and your Lotting looks top notch.

Take care
Robin  ;)

Welcome back, Robin!! It's great to see you back on this website!! Hopefully you get more time and you and Noah could work on NORO again. ;)
Check out my MD, United States of Simerica!
Last updated: March 5, 2017

My YouTube Channel

noahclem

Hi guys! Been quite a while but I started a new project a few weeks ago and thought I'd share some of it, even though it's still very early days and rough around the edges. I wanted a map with big hills but plentiful flatter areas (have had my share of dealing with slopes after last project which I don't think I'm done with permanently) and picked the Cork, Ireland map. Really unsure of a lot of the details for my plans, mainly just wanted to plan a new transport system and am of course thinking it would be nice to do things a little bit different than I usually do. I'm thinking a pretty big city in a tropical or subtropical area.

Here's a rough plan though I've since decided to reduce the number of motorways:

This is an overview of most of the area I've been working on:

This interchange is across the harbor/river from the city center and while I do like it I sometimes wish it hadn't gotten so big. Hoping it looks better with lots of flora, signs and other details, and port and other development around it. (water is temporarily removed)

One of the things I'm excited about that's a bit different than what I've done recently is using what I think is the game's largest terminal station. I'm very happy with the effect I've achieved moving the station into an overhanging position where platforms go over the nearby canal but actually relotting the transit-enabling will be a big challenge for me. Ideally, I'd like to make some of the tracks for HSR and perhaps add subway and/or tram connectivity. The tracks will enter tunnels not far away from the station so they don't take up too much of the city center real estate--the area behind the station is pretty much the center of the central tile so I'd like to get non-rail use out of it.

I'm having fun with this area around the bridge approaches to the city center side with the stadium, highway, and tower development. I'm imagining it somehow as vaguely similar to La Defense in Paris. I've use Terraformer to have the bridge approaches elevated high above the ground where the bridge ends.

Since the earlier pictures I've filled in more of the area around the bridge approaches and station. Apparently the stadium really goes all out with the fireworks around New Years....

I've spent a lot of time trying to figure out the transport layout around the central station. Ideally the trams would be visible but I want the area to be as pedestrian friendly as possible. Will probably continue to evolve until I get something I'm really happy with. Not sure exactly what to do with the big open space in front of the station but should be able to figure out a nice plan for it.

Not sure how fast development will proceed but will be sure to post next time something exciting or interesting comes together. Thanks for looking :)

Krasner

That is exciting  :thumbsup: I really like the idea of those large european buildings and palaces in a tropical/subtropical area, so I guess you are in fact about to make this nice sketch a large (former) colonial capital of south-east Asia, which became a skyscrapers forest in the 1980's ? That sounds cool, if I'm correct  $%Grinno$%

Great idea! I actually hadn't thought of that but it makes perfect sense. I've already worked on an African region and wouldn't want to just repeat that and the old colonial capital turning into a skyscraper forest explains the architecture well, especially with so many of the current BATs from Hong Kong, China, and elsewhere in Asia. I'll go with it :)  Thanks for viewing and commenting!

-Noah
ANARCHIST !!

Gugu3

It's great to see you back in action Noah! I have always admired your transport system and how it fits so nicely with the surrounding development &apls
That area with the stadium and the skyscrapers just as the bridge approaches the central tile is great!

Thanks buddy! Really nice to have you welcoming me back so quickly. Glad you enjoyed my efforts in that part of town and hope I can come up with a few more things to keep you entertained :)

-Noah

praiodan

This indeed looks very promising! Over the past years I developed a similar city concept, grand European architecture mixed with a lot of high rises, very densly populated and set in a (sub)tropical region, but rather with a (central) American flavour than Asian. Unfortunately I haven't attempted the next step of shaping a city according to this concept yet, but I might prepare something along these lines in the future and I'd be happy to see some more possible inspirations here. $%Grinno$%
You set up quite a maze there, but I really like the street layout round the stadium, especially with that parking garage! If you're still looking for inspiration for the square and trams in front of the station (which really fits perfectly with the platforms running over the canal!), you maybe could get some inspiration by studying the central stations of Leipzig or Frankfurt.

Thanks man! I'd certainly be curious about how your city concept turned out and it's great if I can provide a bit of inspiration for your project. Glad you liked the streets around the stadium--usually when I do something like that I figure that I'm overdoing the highways in the town but with the towers, stadium, and parking it seems like a more natural fit than it usually does. I really appreciate the suggestions on the central station trams. When I was looking for ideas I checked Amsterdam, Helsinki, Vienna, and Melbourne but just couldn't come up with something that "clicked". I remember Frankfurt's trams around the central station now that you mention it and hope it could give me a good idea but I don't think I would ever have thought of Leipzig--will check it out right now ;)

-Noah